OMG!!! Did you see Jake Brown fall 4 stories on the XGames!!??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I saw it at the bar we were at...I wanted to hear the channel so bad, to see if he was okay...I've watched a few X-Games, but you'd think that now that their ramps are so huge, they'd make some other way to decelerate...he cleared the jump fine, but it was stopping that almost killed him.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Wow that is one hell of a fall, he definately knew how to break it though, you can tell if you watch the slow-mo.

Still amazing he didnt get seriously hurt.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I love the part where the announcers say we have the best medical people here. Where? Those people attending to him looked like security people. At the minimum EMTs would approach someone with their little tackle-box of goodies and a two piece back board after seeing what they saw.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I can't believe "the best medical staff" would let someone get up and walk away after that happened. Pretty crazy though that guy is hardcore.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I couldn't help but notice that his shoes popped off.
Skateboarders should really tie their shoes better.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
That left me speechless. Even the 720 on the first jump was just unbelievably insane but that fall was unreal. Those guys have kahunas the size of cantaloupes to even roll down that ramp.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
jesus christ how did he survive that? i guess plywood is pretty flexible

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Squisher
I love the part where the announcers say we have the best medical people here. Where? Those people attending to him looked like security people. At the minimum EMTs would approach someone with their little tackle-box of goodies and a two piece back board after seeing what they saw.

Yeah, I got the impression that he was just looking for something to say. Something better than "man I can't believe he made that 720," which he also said.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: SketchMaster
"We have the best medical staff in the business."

Then you watch some of the medics staring at this guy as if to say, "**** man, he's dead...".

I hope he didn't damage any internal organs.

Did you notice how short he was when he was waling away? Apparently before the trick started he was 6'3".

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Holy...

That guy needs to go buy a powerball ticket like now. :p

He used up all his luck in being able to walk away from that fall. He probably doesn't have any left to win the lottery, lol.

However, it did look like he turned around intentionally and let his ass take the impact as opposed to his ribcage. Smart move.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: edro
I couldn't help but notice that his shoes popped off.
Skateboarders should really tie their shoes better.

Those shoes were only rated to 30ft.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
OK WTF kind of medical response was that? No backboard? No C-collar...lucky SOB to even be alive....

Christ seeing that kind of piss poor medical response scares the hell out of me as a ER nurse

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
wow, x-games ... I have not watched those in years...when tony hawk was attempting his 900....

that shit they are doing looks deadly....at least he walked away.

Auggie

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2003
OH MY GOD. Amazing... simply AMAZING fall.

Thank God he knew how to fall correctly... that was a picture perfect capitulation to falling. Oh man, so unbelievable.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
There are times in your life when crapping your pants is acceptable. His way down was one of those times.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
crap! that's insane he was able to walk about ... still the folks should have used a backboard or a neck brace.
the slow-motion replay is brutal, you can see how his lower back took a lot of the impact and his head snapping back. crazy stuff

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
crap! that's insane he was able to walk about ... still the folks should have used a backboard or a neck brace.
the slow-motion replay is brutal, you can see how his lower back took a lot of the impact and his head snapping back. crazy stuff

Yea thats what I mean about pisspoor medical response, they could have killed or paralyzed him. something like 50% of falls greater than 20 feet are fatal. He's beyond lucky.

And like I said, I dont know who these 'medical professionals' were but they were absolutely retarded and a disgrace to the profession.

glenn beck

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Originally posted by: LordSnailz

Yea thats what I mean about pisspoor medical response, they could have killed or paralyzed him. something like 50% of falls greater than 20 feet are fatal. He's beyond lucky.

And like I said, I dont know who these 'medical professionals' were but they were absolutely retarded and a disgrace to the profession.

I know he could have been in shock and not realized the extent of his injuries. Definitely dumb on thier part

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Newfie
Holy F@#$. How could he walk away from that?

Probably had hip pads, plus he landed somewhat on the transistion (slope).

Still a very nasty fall, and he'll have one serious hipper.

Hipper: (d)
skater term for the huge black/green/yellow bruise that covers ones hip, thigh and abdomen after a bad fall on the hip.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
they need to get rid of that event. usually the guy that wins is the only one that lands successfully. i mean, i love burnquist and all, but a 180/540 combo on something that big just doesn't scream "gold medal" to me.