OMG Commuter Train crashes with car in Burbank, CA! 2 carraiges overturned! *1 confirmed dead so far*

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Just seen on BBC News 24, a train has hit a car, and 2 of the carraiges of the train have overturned.

Will get links when i can find them!

It's in CA iirc, it was a very short "breaking news" section, with more info to come.

From the LA Times website:

A Metrolink train carrying Monday morning commuters smashed into a truck at a railroad crossing, upending two passenger rail cars and killing at least one in the truck, which burst into flames.

There were about 50 passengers aboard train No. 210 on the Antelope Valley line from the Santa Clarita Valley to Los Angeles, said Sharon Gavin, Metrolink spokeswoman.

"We have at least one fatality from the truck and we have a number of victims in the trains," Burbank Fire Department spokesman David Starr said.

Gavin said she did not know the extent of injuries to passengers.

Firefighters pulled some passengers from the wreckage and set up a triage area to treat the injured. Some passengers carried the injured from the upended cars before firefighters arrived.

The accident occurred about 9:30 a.m.

Firefighters pulled injured and dazed passengers from the upended cars. There was no immediate indication on the number or extend of injured.

Burbank is about 10 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

It was the worst Metrolink accident since a commuter train was struck by a freight train April 23 in Placentia, killing two people and injuring more than 200.

Investigators believe that crash was caused when the crew of a Burlington Northern-Santa Fe freight train ran two warning signals before plowing into the double-decker Metrolink passenger train. The freight engineer told police he was blinded by the sun and missed a crucial signal light.

Article now updated to the following content:
A Metrolink train struck a truck and derailed today in Burbank, killing at least one person and injuring others, police said.

The crash occurred about 9:30 a.m. near Buena Vista Street and San Fernando Boulevard, said Burbank police Lt. Janice Lowers.

At least two train cars overturned in the crash, and the vehicle struck by the train caught fire. It was unclear if the fatally injured person was in the train or in the truck, said Lowers.

At least 20 people were injured in the crash, according to KCAL.

Paramedics set up a triage area near the crash scene. Some people left the cars under their own power, but others were taken to triage areas on stretchers.

Metrolink spokesperson Sharon Gavin said the train derailed near the Burbank station. She said there were about 50 passengers on the train.

The Antelope Valley line train was en route from the Via Princessa Station in Santa Clarita to Union Station.

After the crash, bystanders rushed in to help get people off the train, according to broadcast reports.

Link to CNN.com article

Confused

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: axiom
Where did this happen? US, UK, Europe?

It's in America, CA if i remember correctly. It was on a very short "breaking news" section, with more to follow.

Confused

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
Found this on the LA Times web site:

Metrolink Train Derails in Burbank
UPDATE: Commuter train leaves tracks after hitting truck in Burbank.

However, you need to subscribe to get to the details.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - A Metrolink commuter train smashed into a car Monday and two train cars overturned.

Firefighters pulled injured and dazed passengers from the upended cars. There was no immediate indication on the number of dead or injured.

Burbank is about 10 miles east of Los Angeles.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just heard on a local (L.A.) Public Radio station (KPCC, 89.3) that a Metrorail commuter train derailed a few minutes ago after hitting a truck in Burbank, Ca. Local time right now: 10:16 a.m.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I hope this is not another case of a car/truck trying to go around the guard rails. We've had a couple of stories like this in Chicago over the past 5 years. The gates go down for a reason, don't try and go around them.

It is. Person in the truck only one dead so far, and the truck was incinerated.

gtsukada

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Stupid people always trying to beat the gates, i guess that is the only way they will learn. I see that kind of stupid stuff all the time. I do hope the people in the passenger cars are ok.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Wow..... A person died. Call CNN! Since it happened in the U.S., make a huge deal about it!

"Six thousand Africans die daily from AIDS, making it the worst infectious disease calamity since the Plague of the Middle Ages." - FaithandValues.com

I guess their lives aren't worth the news coverage. :disgust:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I hope this is not another case of a car/truck trying to go around the guard rails. We've had a couple of stories like this in Chicago over the past 5 years. The gates go down for a reason, don't try and go around them.

Many witnesses said the driver had to have seen the train coming but didn't seem to care and went anyway.