OMG!: Clinton has truly lost it ("We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California.")

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Pardon me, I am not a Hillary fan person, but I think this larger thread is becoming a troll thread for every Hillary hater around. Had Hillary not raised the ugly Assassination example of Bobby Kennedy, she would have raised a perfectly valid point that still remains valid. I still do not think Hillary tried to raised this question with the intent to say Obama is the most likely person to be assassinated.

If anything, given the general level of Hillary Hatred, that shoe would fit her better. In many ways, its almost certain the democratic primary winner will become the next President of the USA. Hillary is fast running out of arguments on why she should be chosen, and this one has proved to be an open mouth insert foot mere politically incorrect IMHO. I do not think there was any malicious intent on the part of Hillary.

I can actually agree with all of that.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I pretty much agree with ZeroIQ's comment above.

On watching the video (thank you for the link, Pabster) I think this is pretty much a non-issue, and hyped way out of proportion. I was a young teenager when RFK was killed, and it was the most devasting event possible to any young Dem. I'm reasonably sure Hillary felt the same way. It was if our hearts were ripped out overnight, and our hopes to end Vietnam destroyed.

Her point, I think, is that things can happen, can change overnight, so I should stay in the race. I don't agree with her, or support her for that matter, but I don't really fault her clumsy example.

Sometimes people get just too sensitive, too politically correct.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Why are people freaking out here? I don't like Clinton, I would never vote for her, but I'm going to agree with other posters in that people are exploding for no reason. I thought it was very clear that she was citing people who pushed on through June. I don't see in any way how she was suggesting Obama was going to get assassinated

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Olbermann just reported on her saying the same thing on March 6th to Time magazine and nearly the same thing two times since. Guess her "Kennedy Cancer" defense is just a big lie, like her whole campaign.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"This whole election could change of one of my devoted followers, perhaps suffering from terminal cancer were to shoot Obama. Naturally I would condemn them as I assumed the Democratic mantle."

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Now I'm far from a Hillary sympathizer, I hate the woman, don't get me wrong. But I think everyone is getting all up in arms over nothing. All I hear when I listen to this is "RFK made it to June in his primary, so why is it time for me to drop out?" I really don't see how it can be construed as a threat to Obama's life.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't like her but i don't see this as how others are seeing it. I assume she means he was assinated because things were still running in June, not because she wants Obama to get killed. i think people are really reaching here.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: magomago
Why are people freaking out here? I don't like Clinton, I would never vote for her, but I'm going to agree with other posters in that people are exploding for no reason. I thought it was very clear that she was citing people who pushed on through June. I don't see in any way how she was suggesting Obama was going to get assassinated

You are correct, sir; but I think perhaps it's too late to stop this here Hilly-Hatin' Circle Jerk.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: mshan
Problem with her is you can never tell whether it was an honest mistake, a Freudian slip, or a deliberate slip of the tongue.

it's easy, really.

when it comes to Obama, it's an honest mistake.
when it comes to McCain, it's because he's senile.
when it comes to Hillary, it's because she's a lying bitch who needs to get back in the kitchen.

Well when you lie out your ass so many times thats what happens. Clinton has "mispoke" far more than all the other candidates combined. She blatantly lied so many times its pathetic.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
"This whole election could change of one of my devoted followers, perhaps suffering from terminal cancer were to shoot Obama. Naturally I would condemn them as I assumed the Democratic mantle."

:D

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: mshan
Professor Obama's gaffes have been because he is trying to express thoughts that can't be conveniently condensed into a soundbite (cling to, suv). Anybody with a brain knows he did expose himself to political attack, but at the same time can see that he said what he meant to say, when taken in whole. Poltically stupid, intellectually correct.

McCain has made gaffes that really make one question his judgement (Lieberman correcting him on Shiites vs. Sunnis, his comment that the war is against Al Qaida in Iraq). As for Jay Leno always joking about his age, I think that's really benign (kind of like how he good heartedly is always jabbing at Bush's intelligence) and may actually endear him to some viewers.

As for Clinton, is she trying to make the point that she is much more qualified to be vp than a neophyte like Jim Webb (I personally never get past be able to accept the fact that she would really want to be vp; seems like a demotion, whereas governor of New York seems much more logical).

Going on her recent comments. Its seems she wants to be VP because she thinks Obama will be assisinated.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Pardon me, I am not a Hillary fan person, but I think this larger thread is becoming a troll thread for every Hillary hater around. Had Hillary not raised the ugly Assassination example of Bobby Kennedy, she would have raised a perfectly valid point that still remains valid. I still do not think Hillary tried to raised this question with the intent to say Obama is the most likely person to be assassinated.

If anything, given the general level of Hillary Hatred, that shoe would fit her better. In many ways, its almost certain the democratic primary winner will become the next President of the USA. Hillary is fast running out of arguments on why she should be chosen, and this one has proved to be an open mouth insert foot mere politically incorrect IMHO. I do not think there was any malicious intent on the part of Hillary.

Her point would be valid if primary season was more backloaded like it use to be. Shes had no chance since Virginia, Maryland, and DC because of the frontloading that occured.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Et Tu, Moonbeam?

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
This is a case of her getting caught saying what she's really thinking. "I'm staying in this race with the hope that some crazy racist shoots Obama so I can get the nomination by default."

She also outright lied in the interview when she said she was ahead in the popular vote.

sprok

Mar 10, 2008
Poor Hillary...she's been staying in the race just waiting for Obama to make a gaffe of this proportion. Instead, she goes ahead and sinks her own battleship.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
that poor lady is blinded by desperation and is probably experiencing waves of impending doom that has clouded her reasoning faculties. she is watching her chances of acquiring that cherished goal that she had a fleeting taste of during her husband's reign sink with the certainty and finality that cruel fate brings and is grasping at that vision out of fear and frustration much as a panicked person in the act of drowning would frantically grasp at a lifebuoy that is quickly drifting away beyond reach.

to have been denied that which she sought with such passion and longing must be devastating to her ego and even more so to her sense of self-worth. she is walking the walk of the condemned, hoping beyond hope for some far-fetched miracle to intercede on her behalf.

how sad.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Give her a break.
She simply meant you never know what will happen i.e. dropping out BEFORE
the process is done.

Everyone wants her to get out since iOwa, that is true.
She was just covering an extreme from her husband to JFK.
From example A to Z.

Like and as ALWAYS the press is bored and making this into something to get ratings. Sell papers.

This is nothing NOTHING compared to Huckabee's NRA comment.
Now THAT was something the press just smoothed over...
Huchabee's slander was not only a suggestion of violence, it was a racial
attack on blacks. Huckabee should not be allowed to explain his comment away,
sugar coat it, or get away with it. It should have ENDED his political career.

The fact it did not and the fact the press smoothed over Huckabee, just confirmed the press anti-women stance.
Just another press BS attack on a woman running for office.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of what HRC said, and that's fine. That's also why this is so toxic for her - it feeds into the worst stereotypes of the Clintons that are out there.

I think she just has a tin ear, can't comprehend the immediate impact of her words, and doesn't quite yet realize that she just touched a third rail.

Here are the problems:

-The Obamas. Barack has been receiving death threats from the beginning of his campaign. The danger to him and his family is very real, and he's had to have a heavy Secret Service detail around him all along. They live with this every day.

It doesn't matter what she meant. It's what it sounded like. It sounds like she's sticking around, circling like a vulture, waiting for something to happen that causes Obama's political (or physical) death. That's gotta feel like a kick in the gut (especially to Michelle and the kids) not to mention supporters who genuinely worry about his safety from day to day.

-The Kennedys. They've released a statement that downplays this event, but the timing is just godawful - she's invoking the memory of Dead Kennedys (no, not those Dead Kennedys) just as one of them has been diagnosed with a likely terminal illness. She's invoked the specter of RFK's assassination before, but right now it just sounded that much more crass.

-Older Obama supporters. People who were there in '68 and supported RFK, and were heartbroken when he was assassinated. Way to tear the scab off of that wound, Hillary. You just lost their potential support today - probably every single one of them.

Again. Doesn't matter how you personally feel about what she said - she invoked something that stabbed a lot of Dems right in the heart today, in myriad ways, and yes - made herself look like that vulture, circling, circling, waiting for her opponent to fall, so she can have a tasty political meal off of his corpse. Like I said, she provided fodder for the very worst of the negative stereotypes of the Clintons that are out there.

This is Bittergate on Crack. The blogs are completely on fire, and it's going to be the #1 political story heading into Tuesday. This is political self-immolation. She's done; she is toast. She's jumped the shark, flamed out, whatever catchy metaphor you want to attach to it. And she did it to herself 100%.

Wake up and smell the ashes, Senator.