OMG!: Clinton has truly lost it ("We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California.")

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
The dumbness is two fold. For one, the rules are not the same as they were when her husband ran, and she knows it. Very misleading of her. Two, wow, just wow.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it was a stupid comment to make... she should know better after the Obama camp leaped to call Bill Clinton a racist just for using the words "fairy tale."

but was she calling for the assassination of Obama or pondering his assassination in a political way... I'd have to seriously disagree.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
but was she calling for the assassination of Obama or pondering his assassination in a political way... I'd have to seriously disagree.

Perhaps, perhaps not. What is certain is that she was attempting to insinuate that Obama being assassinated was a distinct possibility. The whole history repeats itself thing. I don't know her true motives or intention, but she was certainly trying to put it out there -- without appearing to be, which she failed miserably at.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I still think she was making the point that many times, the primaries continue well into June, NOT calling for a hit on Obama. (I don't think anyone will try that unless he's elected.)

sammyunltd

Jul 31, 2004
It's not really the words or what they possibly implied (although that part depends on our interpretation), it's rather the context in which they were said.

She knows all the tension and all the excitement surrounding Obama and his run towards Presidency. She knows this country is full of nutcases who are able to pull off this act. Furthermore, it has been said multiple times in the past that there is a possibility that Obama ends up assassinated (even a Nobel Prize Laureate said so), that history repeats itself.

Thus, saying what she said under THESE circumstances is truly unacceptable.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the context was her justifying why she's staying in the race, and the point she was making is that it's not unreasonable to think of the DNC primary as still on-going during May, despite the fact that people have been calling for her to drop out since January.

I think all this "omg obama's going to be assassinated" is overblown... he's no MLK Jr.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
the context was her justifying why she's staying in the race, and the point she was making is that it's not unreasonable to think of the DNC primary as still on-going during May, despite the fact that people have been calling for her to drop out since January.

I think all this "omg obama's going to be assassinated" is overblown... he's no MLK Jr.

Except, the primary season used to start much later.

No one was saying she needed to drop out in Jan. They said she should if she lost NH, but she didnt. People have been calling for her to drop out once it became next to impossible for her to win the majority of elected delegates. That was after Super Tuesday II and the following week, DC/Maryland/Virginia.

Her argument is extremely flawed the 1992 and previous primaries started much later and were spread out pretty evenly. Hell if the primaries were front loaded in 1992, say Super Tuesday was the first tuesday in Feb, just like this year, theres a high probability Bill would never had won.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If Hillary's only point was that there are an infinite number of possible events that could take Obama out of the race between now and November, well, thanks for the blatant statement of the obvious. If she dropped out of the race, now, and ANYTHING happened, from a scandal to the worst case assasination scenario, she would still be an available, and probably the most likely, alternative candidate for the party.

She and Bill are highly skilled, experienced wordsmiths. They don't say anything that hasn't been thought through and thoroughly considered for both content and effect. The issue worth the biggest stink isn't what she said but her incredibly poor taste and worse judgment in raising the spectre of Bobby Kennedy's assasination as an example to make the point.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Except, the primary season used to start much later.

No one was saying she needed to drop out in Jan. They said she should if she lost NH, but she didnt. People have been calling for her to drop out once it became next to impossible for her to win the majority of elected delegates. That was after Super Tuesday II and the following week, DC/Maryland/Virginia.

Her argument is extremely flawed the 1992 and previous primaries started much later and were spread out pretty evenly. Hell if the primaries were front loaded in 1992, say Super Tuesday was the first tuesday in Feb, just like this year, theres a high probability Bill would never had won.

I don't disagree with you.

it's a flawed argument... it's not a dogwhistle to call for Obama's assassination.

She and Bill are highly skilled, experienced wordsmiths.

I can think of innumerable examples from the past couple months that would indicate otherwise.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

She and Bill are highly skilled, experienced wordsmiths.

I can think of innumerable examples from the past couple months that would indicate otherwise.

Then don't let anyone phone her at 3 AM. She can't be trusted to come up with the right words. :p

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234
Look up the meaning of straw man argument instead of throwing the term around meaninglessly. My post was not a straw man by any means.

Yes it was. You presented a comparison to my argument that was preposterous, completely irrelevant to the overall point I was making, and said, "That's Preposterous".

The issue seems to not be getting a lot of play in the TradMed - most folks seem to wish to defuse it - and for that I'm grateful, because it's really that radioactive.

Unless, of course, that TradMed outlet happens to be Fox News.

^^ This from this very Sunday Morning.

A prime example of Why You Just Don't Put Even The Vaguest Possible Suggestion Of That Kind Of Shit Out There.

:shocked:

I didn't even really want to link to that, but I think it succinctly points out why it's wrong to go there in any way, shape or form, and make it part of the conversation at all.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
it was a stupid comment to make... she should know better after the Obama camp leaped to call Bill Clinton a racist just for using the words "fairy tale."

Conspiracy theory aside, she was giving two reasons to stay in the race, Bill and RFK. Since the Bill reason was apples and oranges to this primary, that only leaves option 2 as the worthwhile option. And she's been saying it for months. It was a completely stupid, reckless and asinine thing to say.

Regardless, if I was Obama, I wouldn't want to pick a person as my backup who would be willing to spend $1M a day of their own money on the chance that I might get shot, and who repeatedly talks about the possibility in public.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I have to say this thread was interesting. When sHe said remember Bobby was shot in june I about freaked. Did she just say Obama could die real soon . And that it isn't over till its over. Thats the way I read it. Remember the Clinton dead bodies thread from a short while back. Looks like Hillary is itching to add another notch to her gun.

I believe there was a thread here about. Pointing your finger at another and cocking and polling the trigger . As being a True threat. IF that was a threat. What the hell is this. Its the use of terrorism . The more she talks about it the more likely a nut case will step up to the plate. This woman should be removed from public service. Because they don't serve the public interest but only there own. ALL of them are crooked. We need the internet to put our people in office . Ones who will serve the people. The internet has the power to put just regular people in Office. No Lawyers.