OMFG! Man sues Charter cable saying THEY made him fat & lazy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: NFS4
$#%&)!#$&!@*($&)@!(*&$!@(*$&@~*%&_~@

CUT HIS BALLS OFF NOW!!

OH THAT PISSES ME OFF!!! LITIGIOUS #!*$&%_!#&%*!@#% SCUMSUCKERS!!!! I blame it all on the MCD's hot coffee lady!!!:|:|:|

DIE!

Do you even know the story behind the McD's coffee lady?

PLEASE do not post the steaming pile of bullsh!t propaganda that is being passed around by the very ambulance chaser types that started this crap!

What the hell are you talking about?

When most people ask "do you know the story behind the McD's coffee lady" they are about to post the same old tired ambulance chaser propaganda that is posted on so many lawyer's websites, it gags google.

If you were not, I apologize.

So you're content with the "dumb b1tch spills coffee on herself and sues" story?

Um, no.

Then what's your side/view on the story? It's hard to find a middle ground on this case - usually you're sympathetic with one side or the other.

See my post above this one.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The lady did have a good case. The temperature of the coffee they were serving was well above the industry norm and the other restaurants in the area. I'm talking 30-40 degrees here. Now, before you rule out that information because it comes from biased trial lawyers, you have to understand you're biased to because you own your own food business. Anyway, I didn't get my information from google or the internet. My friend's dad is a tort lawyer and he has repeatedly told me she has a good case and he made quite a convincing argument about it. He's not an ambulance chaser either. He's a respected attorney around here.
Actually, the coffee was within "industry standard" brewing and serving temperatures as defined by the prestigious ANSI. I put 'industry standard' in quotes, because I reject there could ever be any such spurious notion as an "industry standard" serving temperature for a beverage that, despite being customarily adulterated according to wide-ranging individual preference, is universally known to be a "hot beverage" people tend to prefer at temperatures hot enough to burn. It would be like attempting to establish an "industry standard frosting thickness" on cake, or "industry standard chocolate chip count" in cookies, or "industry standard hamburger patty weight", or "industry standard ice cube count" for beverages served over ice, or an "industry standard sharpness" for edged cutting instruments.

Even if there were an industry standard, it still wouldn't change the fundamental issue of the woman dumping the coffee on her own damned self.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: NFS4
$#%&)!#$&!@*($&)@!(*&$!@(*$&@~*%&_~@

CUT HIS BALLS OFF NOW!!

OH THAT PISSES ME OFF!!! LITIGIOUS #!*$&%_!#&%*!@#% SCUMSUCKERS!!!! I blame it all on the MCD's hot coffee lady!!!:|:|:|

DIE!

Do you even know the story behind the McD's coffee lady?

PLEASE do not post the steaming pile of bullsh!t propaganda that is being passed around by the very ambulance chaser types that started this crap!

What the hell are you talking about?

When most people ask "do you know the story behind the McD's coffee lady" they are about to post the same old tired ambulance chaser propaganda that is posted on so many lawyer's websites, it gags google.

If you were not, I apologize.

The lady did have a good case. The temperature of the coffee they were serving was well above the industry norm and the other restaurants in the area. I'm talking 30-40 degrees here. Now, before you rule out that information because it comes from biased trial lawyers, you have to understand you're biased to because you own your own food business. Anyway, I didn't get my information from google or the internet. My friend's dad is a tort lawyer and he has repeatedly told me she has a good case and he made quite a convincing argument about it. He's not an ambulance chaser either. He's a respected attorney around here.

Wrong. Go to ANY gourmet coffee site and you will see that the temps McD's coffee was at was within the recommended brewing temp range. And coffee is best served directly after brewing and at brewing temps.

The problem was McD's did not take this case seriously, and did not offer much, if any, of a defense. In fact, 20 minutes on Google and *I* can refute most, if not all of the case as presented in the propaganda defending this lawsuit that is so widely passed around online.

She had no case. Her injuries were due to her own stupidity and/or lack of responsibility.

Then why was the temperature 30-40 degrees higher than industry standard?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Also, McDonalds has gotten complaints about the coffee being too hot before, so its not entirely new to them.
McDonalds serves over 500 million cups of coffee per year. It is not just conceivable but virtually guaranteed according to the dictates of probability that out of tens of millions of MD customers, a few thousand of them will be clumbsy idiots who could some how manage to severely injure themselves with a pillow.

If you served 500 million muffins per year, a few of those people will try to cram the entire muffin in their mouth and nearly choke to death.
The lady also only wanted to have them pay the medical bills for her 3rd degree burns or whatever she got, Mcdonalds refused, and then she brought on the lawsuit. Then the judge decided on a $320 million dollar lawsuit, but it later dropped to whatever she got.
It was the judge who reduced the jury's award.
McDonalds kept the coffee too hot, because they didn't want customers who were eating in, to get very many refills. They would have to wait till it cooled down, drank it, got a refill, and because it was so hot, it wasn't possible to wait that long in an early morning's breakfast.
McDonald's kept the coffee hot because that's the way survey after survey shows traveling customers prefer it.

Where is this planet that coffee drinkers like their coffee served luke warm?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
Also, McDonalds has gotten complaints about the coffee being too hot before, so its not entirely new to them.
McDonalds serves over 500 million cups of coffee per year. It is not just conceivable but virtually guaranteed according to the dictates of probability that out of tens of millions of MD customers, a few thousand of them will be clumbsy idiots who could some how manage to severely injure themselves with a pillow.

If you served 500 million muffins per year, a few of those people will try to cram the entire muffin in their mouth and nearly choke to death.
The lady also only wanted to have them pay the medical bills for her 3rd degree burns or whatever she got, Mcdonalds refused, and then she brought on the lawsuit. Then the judge decided on a $320 million dollar lawsuit, but it later dropped to whatever she got.
It was the judge who reduced the jury's award.
McDonalds kept the coffee too hot, because they didn't want customers who were eating in, to get very many refills. They would have to wait till it cooled down, drank it, got a refill, and because it was so hot, it wasn't possible to wait that long in an early morning's breakfast.
McDonald's kept the coffee hot because that's the way survey after survey shows traveling customers prefer it.

Where is this planet that coffee drinkers like their coffee served luke warm?

200 degrees vs 170 degrees is a big deal when talking about the degree of burn. 170 is not lukewarm, but nice fallacy to say that.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
American National Standards Institute/Association of Household Appliance Manufacturers Joint Standard CM-1-1986, Section 5.2.1 provides:

On completion of the brewing cycle and within a 2 minute interval, the beverage temperature in the dispensing vessel of the coffee maker while stirring should be between the limits of 170 degrees F and 205 degrees F (77 degrees C and 96 degrees C).

The upper finished brew temperature limit assures that the coffee does not reach the boiling point which can affect the taste and aroma. The lower temperature limit assures generally acceptable drinking temperature when pouring into a cold cup, adding cream, sugar and spoon.

Standard 5.2.3.2 adds, for any coffee maker that "incorporates means to maintain beverage temperature on completion of a brewing cycle": With the appliance containing maximum rated cup capacity of liquid, basket and pump removed (if present), allow to stand while still energized...for a period of 1 hour at which time the beverage temperature in the appliance should not be lower than 170 degrees F (76.7 degrees C).

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill<br
American National Standards Institute/Association of Household Appliance Manufacturers Joint Standard CM-1-1986, Section 5.2.1 provides:

On completion of the brewing cycle and within a 2 minute interval, the beverage temperature in the dispensing vessel of the coffee maker while stirring should be between the limits of 170 degrees F and 205 degrees F (77 degrees C and 96 degrees C).

The upper finished brew temperature limit assures that the coffee does not reach the boiling point which can affect the taste and aroma. The lower temperature limit assures generally acceptable drinking temperature when pouring into a cold cup, adding cream, sugar and spoon.

Standard 5.2.3.2 adds, for any coffee maker that "incorporates means to maintain beverage temperature on completion of a brewing cycle": With the appliance containing maximum rated cup capacity of liquid, basket and pump removed (if present), allow to stand while still energized...for a period of 1 hour at which time the beverage temperature in the appliance should not be lower than 170 degrees F (76.7 degrees C).

See the post above you.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
People like this chump who take no responsibility for their actions or their life should just be thrown in a deep and dark pit somewhere. What a waste of space.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
200 degrees vs 170 degrees is a big deal when talking about the degree of burn. 170 is not lukewarm, but nice fallacy to say that.
The difference is 2nd degree burns requiring partial thickness skin grafts and 3rd degree burns requiring full thickness skin grafts. What a difference!

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
See the post above you.
I just made your entire existance as it pertains to this thread irrelevant.

And the verdict never remotely approached $320 million. The jury awarded punative damages of $2.9 million, later reduced by the judge.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
See the post above you.
I just made your entire existance as it pertains to this thread irrelevant.

Is it hard to walk with a big chip on your shoulder? No, you didn't make my existence in this thread irrelevant. BTW, you are wrong. Some second degree burns don't require grafting at all, whereas ALL 3rd degree burns do. Some 2nd degree burns don't even require professional medical attention.

Always going to post biased info eh? Your M.O.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Ah yes, the prestigious American National Standards Institute (ANSI), a "biased" source of information.

FACTS:

[*]ANSI/AHAM CM-1-1986 defines optimal coffee holding temperature measured within 2 minutes after completion of the brewing cycle as between 170' F and 205' F. After standing for one hour, the beverage holding temperature should not be lower than 170' F.

[*]ANSI/AHAM CM-1-1986 does not define an upper limit for holding and serving temperature for reasons of individual preference, but denotes that the coffee should never be subjected to temperatures exceeding 205' F to protect aroma and flavor, suggesting that the 205' F upper limit applies as well for holding and serving temperatures as brewing.

[*]170' F is a lower limit, not the median, optimal, desirable, or "target" holding and serving temperature, which would logically be somewhere between upper and lower limits defined above.

[*]McDonald's served its coffee between 180' F and 190' F

CONCLUSION:

McDonald's coffee was well within the range defined by "the industry standard."

Bye.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ah yes, the prestigious American National Standards Institute (ANSI), a "biased" source of information.

FACTS:

[*]ANSI/AHAM CM-1-1986 defines optimal coffee holding temperature measured 2 minutes after brewing as between 170' F and 205' F. After standing for one hour, the beverage holding temperature should not be lower than 170' F.

[*]ANSI/AHAM CM-1-1986 does not define an upper limit for holding and serving temperature for reasons of individual preference, but denotes that the coffee should never be subjected to temperatures exceeding 205' F to protect aroma and flavor, suggesting that the 205' F upper limit applies as well for holding and serving temperatures as brewing.

[*]170' F is a lower limit, not the median, optimal, desirable, or "target" holding and serving temperature, which would logically be somewhere between upper and lower limits defined above.

[*]McDonald's served its coffee between 180' F and 190' F

CONCLUSION:

McDonald's coffee was well within the range defined by "the industry standard."

Bye.

In a survey of Restaurants in the Houston area, McDonald's was consisently the hottest of all restaurants.

For that case, involving a Houston woman with third-degree burns, Mr. Morgan had the temperature of coffee taken at 18 restaurants such as Dairy Queen, Wendy's and Dunkin' Donuts, and at 20 McDonald's restaurants. McDonald's, his investigator found, accounted for nine of the 12 hottest readings. Also for that case, Mr. Morgan deposed Christopher Appleton, a McDonald's quality assurance manager, who said "he was aware of this risk?and had no plans to turn down the heat," according to Mr. Morgan. McDonald's settled that case for $27,500.

I can link to where I got that quote from if you like. Regardless, just because someone is in the standards of the ANSI doesn't mean it absolves them of liablity. They had tons of prior complaints and they IGNORED them. Did you ever hazard to think that the ANSI standards could have been wrong, or that McDonald's was still exceeding them? 700 cases makes you think that McDonald's should have fixed something instead of people continually complaining or suing them.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
McDonald's admitted that its coffee was not fit for consumption when it was sold at that high temperature.

Just like they may have had ANSI in their defense, many respected professors and burn experts did not agree. I'd bet you have experts on both sides of any argument.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Your argument has gone from being premised in McDonald's 'departure from the industry standard coffee temperatures' to some other Side-Show Bob distractions about 'norms within the immediate community' after being confronted with indisputable facts that McDonalds' coffee is well within industry standards.

How...umm...lawyerly of you.

That can only mean, then, that the 'norms within the community' were wrong and failed to comply with "industry standards", not McDonalds.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Just like they may have had ANSI in their defense, many respected professors and burn experts did not agree. I'd bet you have experts on both sides of any argument.
Actually, the defense presented no experts who did not agree with the ANSI standard or McDonald's full compliance with it.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Hey, lets sue this guy for making us read his story, which took 5 minutes or so, for the equivalent of $1000 a munite worth of lifespan (ya never get it back ya know). I think we have a convincing case. His stupidity forced us to stop what we were doing and our natural human reaction was to rubberneck. :D

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, the defense presented no experts who did not agree with the ANSI standard or McDonald's full compliance with it.

It doesn't matter if they followed or didn't follow some industry standard. Ultimately they are responsible for themselves.

McDonald's admitted it was not fit for consumption. And yes, the defense did have university professors and burn experts say that the risk of harm is unacceptable.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Your argument has gone from being premised in McDonald's 'departure from the industry standard coffee temperatures' to some other Side-Show Bob distractions about 'norms within the immediate community' after being confronted with indisputable facts that McDonalds' coffee is well within industry standards.

How...umm...lawyerly of you.

That can only mean, then, that the 'norms within the community' were wrong and failed to comply with "industry standards", not McDonalds.

I can tell you're not a lawyer, because performing to some industry standard does not absolve them of liability. Their product had been complained about 700 times in relation to burn.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Good coffee has to be brewed hot. 190F+ brewing temp is ideal for flavor and taste, minimum 170F holding. Prior to the lawsuit, McD's sold more cups of coffee that all other sellers in the world, combined. IMO, that lawsuit and the subsequent lowering of brewing temps in restaurants is what helped the espresso makers (Starbucks, etc.) to become so popular (because they brew with super-hot steam).

edit: back on topic, if this cable lawsuit is not enough to show people how bad our tort system has become, then nothing will.