codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Link

8 Megapixel
7x Carl Zeiss Lens

and the best part:

Storage: Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash Type I/II, Microdrive

:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q 'Bout time they pulled their heads out of their arses!!!

Est street price: $1200

xEDIT409

Banned
May 17, 2003
I am HIGHLY thinking about getting that so I can take pics of my pokemon cards to put on ebay.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Very nice. For that price (~$1200) you might as well get a digital SLR, though.

I love the Zeiss optics, though.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
Very nice. For that price (~$1200) you might as well get a digital SLR, though.

I love the Zeiss optics, though.

Save $200 and get yourself a 300D.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
8MP though. Not saying the 6.3MP from the 300D isn't enough, but that would explain the price premium.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Originally posted by: xEDIT409
I am HIGHLY thinking about getting that so I can take pics of my pokemon cards to put on ebay.

I hope you have a sh!tload of pokemon cards!

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
my friend has the dsc f717....

i really hated to hold it...to me, it was uncomfortable to hold......that was my biggest smack against it...and the quality of the pictures wasn't too differentiating from the canon G series..and the canon's cheaper..

it has all these useless fun features (toys) though....like night vision, that annoying grid laser pointer that even though it's annoying to get pointed at w/ it..it's fun to point others w/ it......hehehe

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
8MP though. Not saying the 6.3MP from the 300D isn't enough, but that would explain the price premium.

MP aren't everything. CMOS/CCD size matters just as much. The 300D has a sensor 4x the size of the sony. Many people are expecting the Sony camera to be plagued w/ noise b/c it's sensor is so small and its pixel density too high.

DuallyX

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: jpeyton

MP aren't everything. CMOS/CCD size matters just as much. The 300D has a sensor 4x the size of the sony. Many people are expecting the Sony camera to be plagued w/ noise b/c it's sensor is so small and its pixel density too high.

High-five to the man putting your arse in the know.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well, looks bad azz on paper. Will just have to see what actually comes to pass once a review of the production version is done.

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
i'm a fan of live preview via lcd. i dont want to hold up the eyepiece to my face even though it is the real shot. so in that price range, i'd like the f828. i'm more a prosumer i guess. if i was truly pro, i'd get the EOS-10D

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: codeyf
Well, looks bad azz on paper. Will just have to see what actually comes to pass once a review of the production version is done.

Absolutely. It certainly does have some impressive specs and its performance is really unknown until we get some actual sample pics. However, if you like to shoot in non-optimal conditions such as low light or fast moving sports, then you can't beat a zero shutter lag, big sensor DSLR. The low noise and high ISO usability adds another dimension to photography IMO. If you are going to drop $1200 on the Sony when it becomes available, do yourself a favor and make sure you try the Canon 300D also.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: dionx
i'm a fan of live preview via lcd. i dont want to hold up the eyepiece to my face even though it is the real shot. so in that price range, i'd like the f828. i'm more a prosumer i guess. if i was truly pro, i'd get the EOS-10D

So was I, until I bought a 10D. Then everything changed. I really don't miss the live preview at all. I would take negligible shutter lag over live preview any day. However, many people share your point of view. I'd still encourage you to pick and shoot with a DSLR when you get a chance. It may just change your mind.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That 300D is CERTAINLY going to push the price of the Sony down almost instantly. Sony got caught with their pants down on this one. Makes me wonder what the 717 will be selling for!

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: codeyf

Absolutely. It certainly does have some impressive specs and its performance is really unknown until we get some actual sample pics. However, if you like to shoot in non-optimal conditions such as low light or fast moving sports, then you can't beat a zero shutter lag, big sensor DSLR. The low noise and high ISO usability adds another dimension to photography IMO. If you are going to drop $1200 on the Sony when it becomes available, do yourself a favor and make sure you try the Canon 300D also.

:p And when might the day come that I have $1200 to drop on something such as this fine machine? If you know when, by all means, let me know! :D

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you follow the link above, you'll see I predicted an $800.00 street price for the F828 not too long after release. The 300D being available already guarantees this will be the case.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
The DSC-F828 looks sweet. I just ordered a DSC-F717. I really don't think I am ready to make the jump to DSLR yet.

Anyways...if anyone is looking at the Sony DSC-F717, DSC-V1, or the MVC-DC500, there is a $75 mail in rebate for purchases between 9/7/03 and 10/25/2003. It is in PDF format.

You can find it here:Rebate linky

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
If you follow the link above, you'll see I predicted an $800.00 street price for the F828 not too long after release. The 300D being available already guarantees this will be the case.

Well, time will tell. There are valid reasons why a lot of people would not be happy with the 300D. It's definitely not a camera for everyone. I really don't see Sony having a problem selling this camera for near list price. A lot of people drool at the thought of 8mp, regardless of quality. I'd be very surprised if the F828 was sold anywhere for under 1K until after Christmas.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
This is a toss up between the new Canon Digital SLR Rebel. We'll have to wait and see. Keep your eyes peeled to dpreview as he should have a review up soon.