Olympics: Last night's gymnastics debacle proved gymnastics is not a sport

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The russian dude got completely screwed. WTF, he had, without a doubt, the 2nd best high bar routine. How the hell did Paul Hamm get a 9.812 on his routine? His routine was so freaking pedestrian, there's no way he deserved the silver. The fans were booing the russian's lowball score for a full 10-15 minutes before the judges were forced to change it and they didn't even change it by that much. They also booed Hamms way-too-generous score as well, but they didn't change a damn thing.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
This is just like figure skating, boxing, etc....

Any sport that has subjective scoring is a waste of time. It is subject to people's biases and desires. The excuse is that the judges are experts and know better than the general public, but that is bogus. I have seen it too often now to care too much about subjective scoring sports.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think what happened set a dangerous precedent. From now when people do not like score they can just disrupt the event until the judges change the score.

so now you don't have corrupt judges you have a mob setting the score.

While i agree the Russian guy did a great job and was a class act. what happened with the judges and the audience was terrible.

rextilleon

Feb 19, 2004
Garet, thats not correct--judges in all Olympic sports are seasoned pros, many of whom competed in the sports they are judging. THe problem is that in many cases the public watching the sport doesn't really understand the judging criteria--For instance, all though athletically incredible, the Russian gymnist lacked elegance, and missed his landing---The case of the South Korean is unforgivable---and he should be rewarded a Gold Medal.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: waggy
I think what happened set a dangerous precedent. From now when people do not like score they can just disrupt the event until the judges change the score.

While i agree the Russian guy did a great job and was a class act. what happened with the judges and the audience was terrible.

No, it was the right thing to do. Hopefully this forces the IOC to change their rules. The russian deserved AT LEAST a bronze (i think he deserved the silver). His performance was absolutely breathtaking, and this is coming from someone who thinks gymnastics is gay. Paul Hamm's performance was pedestrian, actually BORING.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus

No, it was the right thing to do. Hopefully this forces the IOC to change their rules. The russian deserved AT LEAST a bronze (i think he deserved the silver). His performance was absolutely breathtaking, and this is coming from someone who thinks gymnastics is gay. Paul Hamm's performance was pedestrian, actually BORING.

while i agree that the score was low and the crowd has a right to boo. Changing the score was wrong.

In the future we will see more booing from people who think the athlete didnt get a high enough score.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

while i agree that the score was low and the crowd has a right to boo. Changing the score was wrong.

In the future we will see more booing from people who think the athlete didnt get a high enough score.

Or, this embarrassment will shock the IOC into doing something about it.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Well, that makes you the expert. I'm convinced!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Or, this embarrassment will shock the IOC into doing something about it.

you would think that wouldn't you? after the winter Olympics and now TWICE this time.

With the steroids and crap like this people wonder why everyone thinks the Olympics suck.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001

Like a shorn scrotum?

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
in the world of big time sports, it's either fixed or the athletes are on drugs

or in the case of the NBA, both. :p

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
What do you expect from a sport with subjective scoring? Changing the score to appease the crowd is just another kick in the nuts for the sport.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
This is just like figure skating, boxing, etc....

Any sport that has subjective scoring is a waste of time. It is subject to people's biases and desires. The excuse is that the judges are experts and know better than the general public, but that is bogus. I have seen it too often now to care too much about subjective scoring sports.

Figure skating yes, diving yes, boxing... mostly no.

In boxing there is a way to score points. Judges don't give you points for a nice punch, they're basically just score counters. You could easily go back and replay the fight in slow-mo to come up with an undebatable score. The judging in boxing is much much different from gymnastics etc, but it's still not perfect.