Olmert deputy says attack on Iran 'unavoidable'

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
All Iran needs to do is threaten to sink a few supertankers in the Strait of Hormuz, how high do you think the price of oil could go then?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
I thought the burden of proof was with the accuser- in this case, the Israelis. Merely stating that the Iranians have a nuclear weapons program doesn't make it so, no matter how many times the charge is repeated.

Anybody prepared to offer any? And, uhh, no, Iran's enrichment program doesn't qualify, given that it's under the IAEA microscope...

The Iranians aren't fools, either, and staging a nuclear attack against the Israelis would make no sense whatsoever, given the Israelis' ability to retaliate several times over, not to mention the world's only superpower covering the Israelis' back...

I think we all need to realize that an Israeli attack against Iran would necessarily involve American complicity- Israeli aircraft, even with inflight refueling, simply can't penetrate Iranian Airspace w/o passing thru the US radar net that extends from north of Turkey to south of the cape of Oman, and all across the Persian gulf... employing both ground based and awacs radars.

No amount of Israeli saber-rattling can change that, so, uhh, are we really ready to engage in an expanded conflict in the region, to open a can o' worms that would make Iraq look like a picnic?

All in the name of "anticipatory self-defense" ( what a magnificent load of horseshit) from the Israelis? Because the Iranians said bad things?

I forgot trying to rile up all the arabs for another modern day holocaust is just "bad things". Sorry, but until that idiot in Iran is out of power than Iran is a threat. I would rather a few surgical strikes setting back there program by a decade or two than a multi nuclear war started because that hothead or some other hothead general in the Iranian army decided to follow through on his threat.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: RichardE
I thought the burden of proof was with the accuser- in this case, the Israelis. Merely stating that the Iranians have a nuclear weapons program doesn't make it so, no matter how many times the charge is repeated.

Anybody prepared to offer any? And, uhh, no, Iran's enrichment program doesn't qualify, given that it's under the IAEA microscope...

The Iranians aren't fools, either, and staging a nuclear attack against the Israelis would make no sense whatsoever, given the Israelis' ability to retaliate several times over, not to mention the world's only superpower covering the Israelis' back...

I think we all need to realize that an Israeli attack against Iran would necessarily involve American complicity- Israeli aircraft, even with inflight refueling, simply can't penetrate Iranian Airspace w/o passing thru the US radar net that extends from north of Turkey to south of the cape of Oman, and all across the Persian gulf... employing both ground based and awacs radars.

No amount of Israeli saber-rattling can change that, so, uhh, are we really ready to engage in an expanded conflict in the region, to open a can o' worms that would make Iraq look like a picnic?

All in the name of "anticipatory self-defense" ( what a magnificent load of horseshit) from the Israelis? Because the Iranians said bad things?

I forgot trying to rile up all the arabs for another modern day holocaust is just "bad things". Sorry, but until that idiot in Iran is out of power than Iran is a threat. I would rather a few surgical strikes setting back there program by a decade or two than a multi nuclear war started because that hothead or some other hothead general in the Iranian army decided to follow through on his threat.

Iran hasn't done anything that the U.S hasn't done.
With your thinking Iran might as well start bombing U.S sites.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Aimster

I never said the US was a favorite, most countries have hypocritical histories it seems that conflict with there current policies. The fact of the matter is looking to the past is useless when the present and a very cold future is staring right at us. I understand the allure of having an arab state on the same playing field in terms of regional power as Israel, but you shouldn't be pursuing this dream at an all cost idea. Why not let Venezuela develop nuclear warheads with delivery systems that can hit the US? It is just a deterrent of course and I'm sure every American will still sleep soundly in there bed.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

I never said the US was a favorite, most countries have hypocritical histories it seems that conflict with there current policies. The fact of the matter is looking to the past is useless when the present and a very cold future is staring right at us.

There is nothing to signal Iran would ever use their nuclear weapons against Israel.

If one were to think that based on their actions then one should almost definitely assume that the U.S is going to nuke Iran in the future as well.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

I never said the US was a favorite, most countries have hypocritical histories it seems that conflict with there current policies. The fact of the matter is looking to the past is useless when the present and a very cold future is staring right at us.

There is nothing to signal Iran would ever use their nuclear weapons against Israel.

If one were to think that based on their actions then one should almost definitely assume that the U.S is going to nuke Iran in the future as well.

Which many people here think is a real threat. As I said in my edited last post, it would be the same as having venuzela building nuclear reactors, promising to destroy America with missile capabilities to hit anywhere in the US. I'm not sure why you think thats acceptable for Israel people to have to live with.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We still ignore the fact that the Israeli transportation minister has no viable plan to punish Iran. But we should all be thrilled because right after he shoot out his mouth, the per barrel oil prices increased only $14.00 in one day. Keep up the good work, all them oil stocks I don't have will make us all rich.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I don't think anyone actually believes Iran would ever nuke Israel. That would be the end of Iran. If the leaders of Iran were crazy they could do crazy stuff right now. Why would the leaders who are living the life of royals with their unlimited amount of money wake up one morning and decided that they want to destroy their nation and Israel?

Sooner or later the Arabs of the Middle East are going to build nuclear reactors. There are already plans on the table for them to start construction and it is going to take place with the help of European nations. Israel cannot go ahead and start bombing all these nations because they feel a threat of a "what-if" scenario.

Iran is much more sane than those Arab nations who are going to build these nuclear plants. If a Jew stepped foot inside Saudi Arabia what do you think would happen? A crowd would gather around the Jew and start throwing rocks.
The media makes the people afraid of Iran. They make a man who has no power (President) sound as if he is the most powerful man inside Iran with an objective of destroying Israel. There is a huge difference between hating Jews and hating Zionism.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: tvarad
Aimster:

"Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S."

When well-maintained, modern U.S. planes themselves are under stress, I don't see how '70s era airplanes maintained with junkyard spares are going to be much of a threat. Remember that these planes have also been through the Iran-Iraq war, thus it's doubtful if they're in any condition to match what Israel has.

If they fly and if they are armed they can take out Israeli F-16s. We are not talking about a dogfight here.

The F-14s radar is what makes it dangerous and the type of missiles they can carry. There are many reports that suggest Russia upgraded their engines and even gave them missiles that have the same range as the Phoenix missiles. There are even reports Russia was given one of the F-14s in exchange for such support.

There are also reports Russia sold Iran 300 Su-30's, I guess if that is true Israel will be demolished. Reminds em of the Iraq foreign minister "Troops are not in Baghdad"

There is nothing to prove Iran has S-300 or doesn't.

However, given the fact that Iranian F-14s are flying and look better than new in their pictures one has to assume they are getting assistance. Iran also orders aircraft engines from Russia rather than fighter jets. These engines have to go somewhere.

The aircraft can be from the 1970s but it is a threat. I don't think anyone will disagree with this comment:
If Iranian F-14s are flying they are a threat to Israeli F-16s and can very likely take them out.

I don't have any sources but it's pretty well known that the Israeli airforce, pilot for pilot is better than any other airforce in the entire world. Yes..even the US's.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Taejin
Originally posted by: tvarad
Aimster:

"Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S."

When well-maintained, modern U.S. planes themselves are under stress, I don't see how '70s era airplanes maintained with junkyard spares are going to be much of a threat. Remember that these planes have also been through the Iran-Iraq war, thus it's doubtful if they're in any condition to match what Israel has.

If they fly and if they are armed they can take out Israeli F-16s. We are not talking about a dogfight here.

The F-14s radar is what makes it dangerous and the type of missiles they can carry. There are many reports that suggest Russia upgraded their engines and even gave them missiles that have the same range as the Phoenix missiles. There are even reports Russia was given one of the F-14s in exchange for such support.

There are also reports Russia sold Iran 300 Su-30's, I guess if that is true Israel will be demolished. Reminds em of the Iraq foreign minister "Troops are not in Baghdad"

There is nothing to prove Iran has S-300 or doesn't.

However, given the fact that Iranian F-14s are flying and look better than new in their pictures one has to assume they are getting assistance. Iran also orders aircraft engines from Russia rather than fighter jets. These engines have to go somewhere.

The aircraft can be from the 1970s but it is a threat. I don't think anyone will disagree with this comment:
If Iranian F-14s are flying they are a threat to Israeli F-16s and can very likely take them out.

I don't have any sources but it's pretty well known that the Israeli airforce, pilot for pilot is better than any other airforce in the entire world. Yes..even the US's.

Israeli pilots are good, but there is zero evidence to suggest their pilots are the best in the world. Their current pilots have not seen air-air combat. Nobody can say country A's pilots greater than country B's pilots.

For example Turkish F-16s are the pride of Turkey. Turkey has seen air-air combat far more recently than Israel. Turkish pilots are flying for NATO. They have a very active role. How can one say Israeli pilots are better or worse than Turkish pilots?

That's Turkey. What about the U.S? Our pilots have seen it all.
I'll agree with one thing. Israeli pilots will probably win in a dogfight inside the Israel territory. They know that area like the back of their hands. However, the days of dogfighting are dead.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I don't think anyone actually believes Iran would ever nuke Israel. That would be the end of Iran. If the leaders of Iran were crazy they could do crazy stuff right now. Why would the leaders who are living the life of royals with their unlimited amount of money wake up one morning and decided that they want to destroy their nation and Israel?

Sooner or later the Arabs of the Middle East are going to build nuclear reactors. There are already plans on the table for them to start construction and it is going to take place with the help of European nations. Israel cannot go ahead and start bombing all these nations because they feel a threat of a "what-if" scenario.

Iran is much more sane than those Arab nations who are going to build these nuclear plants. If a Jew stepped foot inside Saudi Arabia what do you think would happen? A crowd would gather around the Jew and start throwing rocks.
The media makes the people afraid of Iran. They make a man who has no power (President) sound as if he is the most powerful man inside Iran with an objective of destroying Israel. There is a huge difference between hating Jews and hating Zionism.

Arab nations are not constantly threatening Israel with annihilation, Iran is.

Ahmadinejad is not a sole voice in his country with regard of Israel?s extinction, who do you think authorizes all the weapon shipments, training and funding for Hezbollah, Iran?s supreme leader that?s who. Iran?s government wants Israel gone not just Ahmadinejad, Ahmadinejad just happens to be the one that says what they all think and all desire.

So for Israel or anyone else to not take the threat of Iran seriously or what Ahmadinejad says as just rantings of lunatic would be grossly ignorant. Likewise to completely dismiss the thought that an Islamic militant government would not set off a nuclear device to destroy what they perceive as infidel invaders as dictated by their religion would also be grossly ignorant.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yawn... Boy this shit get's tiring.... How many times have we heard the bull shit? And every time 50000 responses! :)

Same re-hashed shit, different day!!!!!! WhoooHo!

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Socio

Arab nations are not constantly threatening Israel with annihilation, Iran is.

Ahmadinejad is not a sole voice in his country with regard of Israel?s extinction, who do you think authorizes all the weapon shipments, training and funding for Hezbollah, Iran?s supreme leader that?s who. Iran?s government wants Israel gone not just Ahmadinejad, Ahmadinejad just happens to be the one that says what they all think and all desire.

So for Israel or anyone else to not take the threat of Iran seriously or what Ahmadinejad says as just rantings of lunatic would be grossly ignorant. Likewise to completely dismiss the thought that an Islamic militant government would not set off a nuclear device to destroy what they perceive as infidel invaders as dictated by their religion would also be grossly ignorant.

Nobody is threatening Iran?

The Deputy of Transportation who used to be the Defense Minister who is running for the leadership of Israel who was born inside Iran has constantly called for the end of the Islamic Regime.

Iran has chemical weapons and tons of them. Iran can easily send chemical weapons to Hezbollah.
Has the U.S trained and armed groups that are labeled as terrorist organizations who are against Iran? The answer to that would be yes.

Iran does nothing the U.S doesn't do.

The leadership of Iran calls for the destruction of the Zionist state of Israel. Ok so what/?Being against Zionism does not mean being against Jews.
U.S/Israel constantly call for regime change inside Iran being good-bye "Islamic Republic" of Iran which is Iran's full name. Same freaking thing.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I worked on F14's from 1989 to 1992 in the US Navy and every hour of flight time required 100 hours of maintenance time.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
You people still do not get it. Iran is too big, too far away, and Israel is full of hot air. They may have a few bunker busting bombs but they don't have a single plane that will lift that much weight off the ground. They can't use nukes on a preemptive strike, and the conventional bombs they can deliver won't even dent Iranian nuclear sites. Israel's only hope is to get uncle sucker to do their heavy lifting for it, and that hopefully will not happen.

But if Israel tries to get froggie and try, F-14's are the least of their worries, because Iranian surface to air missiles will do most of the damage. Meanwhile Israel will have to overfly a bunch of Mid east countries and that in itself is an act of war. And the USA is duty bound not to let Israel overfly Iraq and has already had to escort a number of Israel
flights away from Iraqi air space.

Meanwhile Iran would be fully justified in shutting down the Persian gulf after the first Israeli attack.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
So when are we going to stop putting Israel's interests above our own?

I won't hold my breath.