Olive Garden Manager Fired After Complying With Request For Non-Black Server

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019

Donahue said that when the woman was seated, she demanded a white server and later screamed at her in the middle of the restaurant’s lobby, leaving both the server attending to the table and herself in tears.

Truly deplorable behavior. The customer should have been tossed out instead.

And, this garbage of 'The Customer Is Always Right' is just that; garbage. The manager was rightly fired because 1, the demand was unacceptable and 2, they were too stupid to see that.

Reactions: MtnMan

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Either the manager was of a like mind of the customer or they knew the company would not like a customer being removed even for this.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The proper response.

I wonder if the manager simply lacked a back bone, or needed some training in handling trouble makers. Hate to think they agreed with the request.
Olive Garden seems not to have learned any lessons from Starbucks. Should have been at least a managerial review.

Reactions: ivwshane
Mar 11, 2004
Is this old? I remember a similar thing in the thread about all the racist shit. Now that I think about it, that was Buffalo Wild Wings if I remember correctly.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If I were the manager I would have risked it.
Go ahead and tell that customer to fuck off.
Whats he gonna do? Call the cops?
Post it on Facebook?
If he does he's fucked. Yeah he'll probably get SOME support from the handful of brave open racists in this country but most people will hate him and he's gonna catch shit every time he goes outside.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Just tell her we dont serve white trash cracker bums in here and to get the fuck out... maybe do one of the didnazithatcoming tattoos on her forehead Inglourious bastards style.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We just count it as a patient refusing treatment at work if they refuse a nurse due to race. If they are an arse to that nurse due to racial reasons they can get refused treatment as well.

Generally works because we either get rid of a patient thats an arse or they become so ill that we can treat them without them abusing everyone!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The proper response.

I wonder if the manager simply lacked a back bone, or needed some training in handling trouble makers. Hate to think they agreed with the request.

-Like many low skill service jobs, low level management is stuck in a tough spot thanks to the lack of any kind of guidance or even conflicting messages from upper management. The scenario could have easily gone the other way:

Customer gets kicked out and complains all over social media that its actually the manager that's racist. In a twisted move, Olive Garden fires the manager, with some watered down corporate statement about blah blah. Maybe he gets lucky and someone records the whole thing and he gets a lawsuit out of it... after he's been homeless for a couple months.

In this case though... just kick the person out. Everyone else will literally cheer for you if you deal with a troublemaker of this caliber. Probably still get fired though.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The proper response.

The manager did not need to throw the customer out. He should have just said "The server who is assigned this section *will* be your server. If you dont like it, you are free to leave."

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Is there any other source for this story besides Facebook and Huffpo? It just seems like a really strange order of events.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
If I were in that position, I would explicitly tell her that we don't tolerate racism in this place, and we will be genuinely happy to never see you again in any of our restaurants.
The proper response.

The proper ethical and moral response in a civil ideal society not the corporate oligarchy we have today were doing the right thing can get you fired,