Question Oled monitor question

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Hey i have a question in regards to these new Oled monitors coming out. Im looking at the Asus 27 inch 1440p monitor. As far as response time go it seem it oled .03ms vs lcd 1ms response time. How does the lower response time benefit fast paced shooters(Fortnite, Call Of Duty etc etc)? Does it help increase accuracy? Is is a benefit i will feel when playing games? How does an oled with the lower response time benefit the average gamer? Or is it something that is better suited for an esports pro?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
How does the lower response time benefit fast paced shooters(Fortnite, Call Of Duty etc etc)?
It makes you a better player.

Does it help increase accuracy?
Yes.

Is is a benefit i will feel when playing games?
It is a benefit 9 out of 10 people feel.

How does an oled with the lower response time benefit the average gamer?
It does way more then just lower response time. It also eliminates blur and presents a clearer image without ghosting.

However, look at it like this:
oled response time: 1 ms
lcd response time: 25 ms

Having the information presented to 24 ms quicker effectively gives the oled player a 24 ms faster reaction time.

The bigger advantage is the information is presented as a clear image without ghosting or overdrive corruption. It is just easier for the brain to process.

Or is it something that is better suited for an esports pro?
esports are likely to stick with 500 hz TN panels @ 1080p for one more generation. Those panels surrender everything ( color clarity, viewing angles, black quality, brightness, pixel accuracy ) to achieve fast response rates. They just train themselves to deal with the overdrive artifacts.

----------------------------------

quick warnings:
oled likes greater then 80 fps, if your video card cannot keep the game above that it could be distracting. The alternative is to cap the FPS constant to hide the fluctuation.

oled hates up-scaling, any artifacts are going to stand out. That flicker is super obvious.

oled hates shimmering. From games that suffer from this, the effect is pronounced. There is no blurring to hide game engine failures.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillyman36

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well lower response time won't magically make you a better player.
You need to have the skill to utilize that frame rate, but in most cases even the extreme human eyes can only visually notice 75fps, which in mornitor language translates to 75hz.

However monitors are sort of weird in how faster hz works. If your GPU runs at about double the fps then hertz, sometimes it generates whats known as ghosting on the monitor. Normally you can adjust vsync to the proper hertz to counter this (or Gsync / FreeSync), but some esports professionals want to run 200+ hz monitor and run them on TN panels which sacrifice a lot of color and detail for response.

As for OLED's they only have one advantage and thats depth of color.
A MiniLED monitor i feel is vastly superior with better HDR tones, and lower risk of burn in.
Its true modern OLED's have many burn in protections in place, but no one can gaurentee you that you have a 0 chance at burn in on a OLED. Even MiniLED's have a chance at burn in, but its substantially less, and there is no Auto dimming that kicks in like on a OLED monitor.

You have a very limited selection on both OLED and MiniLED. Again each has its own advantages, but a MiniLED with a lot of FALD zones will come very close to a OLED in blacks, and completely decimate it in HDR unless your playing in a dark room.

I have a OLED, NanoIPS, and a IPS.
My NanoIPS has better HDR then my OLED does unless im in a pitch black setting where the auto dimming doesn't impact me. (and there is no option to turn off auto dimming, as its also a burn in protection feature)
I do not know how the Q-OLED (samsung / Alienware) rank up, but this is my experience with a LG 48GQ900-B.

I love my OLED, but it has some issues that is making me wait for the new samsung G7 NEO 43 inch to replace it, as i think a MiniLED is probably a better monitor for wide area of tasks i do, and at the time of purchase, the Odyssey Arc was just too big of a monitor for me.

Reactions: Captante

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
One thing that you won't see in the response time discussions is the that what most monitors are posting is the response time of grey-to-grey transitions. That is not the entire part of response time, just a portion where the image actually changes. The other part of response time is the processing delay inherent in the electronics of the monitor. Very few monitors actually post the data on this. Most have anywhere from 8 - 50ms of delay.

Reactions: Leeea