Oldschool RPGs (no MMORPGS) over LAN rock :)

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i know i know,

everyone talking about WoW and whatnot.

Problem is my GF has a old Laptop and we're limited to games she can play.

Anyway we're digging out oldschool RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Diablo II etc.

Notice how you could play many games over LAN years ago ? Need for Speed etc..etc... Seems this has gotten forgotten in the age of MMORPGs and similiar.

Anyway...playing Diablo II Lord of Destruction right now on the LAN...and its pretty entertaining :) Especially since i always get accused to gank up all the money after she's doing kills :)

Sometimes oldschool games rule !

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I always loved Dungeon Siege coop over the lan... One person warrior, one archer, one caster... oh so much fun.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Heh, me and a couple buddies went to maximum gamer the other day to kill some time. We ended up playing Diablo2 for 3 hours. =P

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
In the middle of my third replay (of this year) of Baldur's Gate 2 myself.

I just started a replay of BG1 recently. Will be heading through the whole series. Wonderful times. I just wish I could get my friends to play coop with me.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

I just started a replay of BG1 recently. Will be heading through the whole series. Wonderful times. I just wish I could get my friends to play coop with me.

I played through BG1 first as well this round, be sure to try the EasyTuTu mod with the BG1 NPC Project (adds intraparty dialog between the characters and even party members between various NPCs).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I played part way through Arcanum this year and got bored -- I wondered if I'd lost the ability to enjoy a good isometric RPG.

Now I'm replaying Planescape: Torment and it's still a great game. So no, Arcanum is just boring period. (to me)

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
I'm actually thinking about giving some of the Ultimas a go again (starting with 4). Now that's oldschool.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

I played through BG1 first as well this round, be sure to try the EasyTuTu mod with the BG1 NPC Project (adds intraparty dialog between the characters and even party members between various NPCs).

Good call.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
not only is lan play something long forgotten but coop period.

its highly underrated and has been lost in the frag fest that is internet gaming.

however, nothing quite beat a nice run through Q1/Q2 in coop.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
Hmm... I can't remember, but doesn't System Shock 2 also have a co-op mode?

Yeah. It's fun for two players when both players pick different roles (one goes all out heavy weapons, modification, and repair, and the other goes psi, hacking, etc.)

The only thing to keep in mind is that the co-op mode was a last ditch hack that just added in a second player into the single player game. While it turned out great, there is still an obvious lack of any puzzles that require players to split up or solve things cooperatively or simultaneously being that it's a single player game. Congestion and conflict can occur often.

Also if you get too many players it starts to get cumbersome... ammo for example is extremely limited throughout most of the game, so if 3 people have handguns and all 3 empty 3 rounds into a enemy thats 9 rounds expended that should have only taken 3 and it makes resource conservation and distribution impossible. Again, it's only designed as a single player game.

That said, if you take these things into consideration and make each player have a set role (one psi, one melee weapons, one conventional weapons, etc) it works out extremely well and is fun as hell!

My dream game is a game like System Shock 2 or Resident Evil or Metroid Prime or LoZ:eek:carina of Time or Dead Rising that is designed from ground up to be played cooperatively and be as good as the single player versions...

Resident Evil, being separated and passing each other a key or some ammo through a grate so the other player can progress....

Metroid Prime, two players in different areas of the map or game world that have to activate two consoles at the exact same time, or one has to stay and find parts to repair the ship while the other has to investigate a distress signal... a player in Dark Aether performing actions that cause some affect in Light Aether for the other player...

Zelda... two players doing the Spirit Temple at the same time (it's divided into two parts only accessible by either young Link or older Link, but both halves are connected)...

Half Life 2... Dawn of the Dead type game play, two or more players start off in random places, just trying to survive. Meet one thats been trapped and exploring a warehouse while you've been out cruising on a buggy running for your life... have check points where everyone meets up and fends off waves of attacks... have multiple objectives at the same time and everyone chooses one (find gas for the buggy, find the battery in the junk yard, defend the buggy while the others look for supplies, etc) Two players stay up on the roof to snipe and defend a third player that has to make a run across open terrain to a generator, etc.

And of course all the scenarios, when given the character specialization and personalization tree like System Shock 2, would allow players better suited for some things to be elected for certain tasks before others.

Co-op story play games would be great... don't know why nobody is pursuing it. Making the game playable single player so as not to alienate buyers is as easy as simply unlocking the parts of the game that require more players or simply dropping NPCs in the right place at the right time (ie: Resident Evil does this anyway!)

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Exdeath, it sounds as if you've described Left 4 Dead to a "T" on your half-life 2 tangent. Look it up, comes out early '08.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
Exdeath, it sounds as if you've described Left 4 Dead to a "T" on your half-life 2 tangent. Look it up, comes out early '08.

DROOOOOOOL

I just hope the bot AI that fills in for the missing players isn't as dumb as in Dead Rising.

ie: 220 lb guy with a machine gun gets touched by a zombie and just stands there helpless yelling "Fraaaank!!"

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: jjzelinski

Hell yeah! That game is going to be fucking awesome!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My favorite online experience was Duke Nukem 3d over a modem killing my buddy! Those were the best days!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Oyeve
My favorite online experience was Duke Nukem 3d over a modem killing my buddy! Those were the best days!

Agreed. Duke3d over LAN/modem was a lot of f'ing fun.

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
I always enjoyed playing NWN over LAN with my friends. I haven't tried NWN2 over LAN yet.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
the best for us was NWN and Rainbow 6 coop.

WoW is about it now since the distance thing sucks.

Nothing like having a group of computers linked together and ppl bitching and throwing things (in good fun)

I might also add FarCry coop (coop hack)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
My buddy and I used to play DN3D over modem as well. We each had two phone lines so we could talk to each other as we played. All the smack talk and everything. Helluva lot of fun it was too! Great memories. :thumbsup: