Oldie!: Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Trying to get this old title to run on Win 7 is mighty tricky. I tried running it out of the box, ended up getting blank screen on startup. Then I read up and found out I needed Creative Alchemy to run it for some reason. So once I got past the black screen, I found the graphics were mostly corrupted. Enemies were kinda see through. So I patched it up one version...enemies now have bodies but are covered it odd textures. So I patched it up to the latest version which was 2.0. Now things look like this:
MGS2S.jpg
(it's not supposed to be lights out :( )

Tough to play older games on Win7. Especially crappy PS2 ports. Don't suppose anyone knows how to get this game running on Win 7 x64?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Have you right clicked on the .exe and gone into compatibility mode and changed it to see if it'll run in XP compatibility mode?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Don't think I tried that with the newer patch but even though it always seems like a good idea it doesn't seem to work much. Anywhoo I'll try it.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
bump

dammit, this is like the 100th game I couldn't play because of windows 7/64 bit compatibility issues

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
That'd prob be worse heh, even PSX emulation is still pretty iffy.

I think i got it working though! Patch 1.1 seems to be the one to use. If only I could figure out how to use the mouse to aim in first person mode.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I couldn't get it to run properly on my Win7 64bit system but it works just fine on a VMware VM running XP. It's how I run most of the older games now, like KOTOR, Diablo & it avoids 99% of the colour/texture/movie issues with older titles.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I'll check it out, thanks.

I'll more likely run into more issues but its working OK right now. Sound is really low quality though and would still like to use my Mouse for aiming in first person mode. I mean, FPS on a controller? Silliness.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
I was looking to run this sometime soon as well as I have only played MS1 and loved it wayyy back when. I first bought MS2 like in 2004 or something and turned out my PC couldn't run it. This is before I started educating myself about good hardware and building my rigs. Wonder if it's worth the trouble that you seem to be having with it.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
They don't let you use your mouse in first person mode, wtfook. Ah well, i guess i can manage. Just seems like madness to have a mouse in front if you and have to use the keyboard or a controller to aim instead.