Older game question. The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2..?

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
My 12 year old was asking for this game. It is older I know. Does anyone have this game and running it on Windows 7? I know it is a longshot. If it will work, the next question is does anyone have it? If so, would you sell it.

Thank you.

Chunkers

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I never played it on Windows 7, but just as a heads up the game is kind of rare. I got it a loong time ago at Circuit City for like $3 on clearance and was surprised to see it going for $25-30 on Ebay recently. You may end up shelling out more than you were anticipating for a game this old.

If you have a 360 that one might be a little cheaper.

Jjoshua2

Mar 24, 2006
yah I got it to work in win 7, I had to do a little change somewhere to make it work. google it

gamerguy2

Aug 9, 2008
I have it working on Windows 7 too. It worked right off the bat. Go to eagames.com and buy Rise of the Witch King. EA lost the license for Middle Earth games so BFME2 is really hard to find. The expansion will play without the original from eagames.com and they dont need a license (no Middle Earth in it or something).

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Huh. I think I have my BFME2 discs laying around somewhere. Gonna have to explore my options on ebay. Not to derail the thread, but anyone have any idea what original copies of the x-wing, tie-fighter, and rebel alliance games are going for?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Windows 7 64bit here worked right off the bat. Great game, lol I just reinstalled it last week. Gandolf ftw!!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I never played it on Windows 7, but just as a heads up the game is kind of rare. I got it a loong time ago at Circuit City for like $3 on clearance and was surprised to see it going for $25-30 on Ebay recently. You may end up shelling out more than you were anticipating for a game this old.

If you have a 360 that one might be a little cheaper.
I played it on the 360. Absolutely horrible way to control it.

Aug 11, 2008
I have it working on Windows 7 too. It worked right off the bat. Go to eagames.com and buy Rise of the Witch King. EA lost the license for Middle Earth games so BFME2 is really hard to find. The expansion will play without the original from eagames.com and they dont need a license (no Middle Earth in it or something).

I played BFME1, BFME2, and Rise of the Witch King. I liked all of them, but BFME 2 was my favorite. I actually have 2 copies of the game so my grandson and I could play online together. I played on the PC of course. It worked fine on Vista except I had to control,alt,delete to quit the program. It would not shut down correctly for some reason.

This was one of the very first RTS games for the 360. I never tried it on that platform. I didnt know EA had lost the franchise. Too bad, I was hoping for another game sometime. I think the game engine with perhaps some slight modifications is still being used for the Command and Conquer games.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Anyone have a copy they want to sell please? It would be much appreciated? Or, I have several games I can trade. Bioshock, Orange Box, UT3,etc. Please let me know.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Just get Medevil: Total War II and install the Third Age: Total War patch. Much better, though perhaps a bit too advanced for a 12 year old?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Just get Medevil: Total War II and install the Third Age: Total War patch. Much better, though perhaps a bit too advanced for a 12 year old?

They are very different, one plays like C&C and the other plays like... well, plays like a Total War game, you're comparing apples to oranges here, that's how I see it anyway. I think that both games are great on their own, but if I had to chose I'd stick with BFME2 as long as pure action is desired, because Third Age mod or not, it's still a Total War game at its base, it's turn-based, and once the real-time battles kick in it's still much different than anything found in BFME2 (which as a side note is the same engine used for Command & Conquer 3).