Old TV + new-ish DVD player = possible?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Tv is really old and was an el-cheapo I bought back in college when I was poor. As such, it only has a single coax input. Is there a way to plug a DVD player into this thing? I've looked around a bit and haven't seen any promising adapters.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
do you have an old vcr? you could run it through that so your dvd player would connect to your vcr's input via composite cables and then you can output to your tv via the coax

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Yep. Either run the DVD through your VCR or get a switch box from Radio Shack for $20.

Go with the switch box (RF Modulator I believe). If you run it through your VCR you will experience some macrovision copy protection problems (picture quality issues).

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: torpid
Yep. Either run the DVD through your VCR or get a switch box from Radio Shack for $20.

Go with the switch box (RF Modulator I believe). If you run it through your VCR you will experience some macrovision copy protection problems (picture quality issues).
Dammit, stop being helpful. I'll have to change my sig. :p

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
They also market these converters for use with videogame systems since they all come with RCA/video cables now. Walmart, Radioshack, Electronics Boutique, Best Buy, etc. would be able to take care of you.

Night201

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
do you have an old vcr? you could run it through that so your dvd player would connect to your vcr's input via composite cables and then you can output to your tv via the coax

I think OLD would be key here. Lots of newer VCR (even 5 years ago or so) have the chips in them that mess up the video from DVD's. The video will be dark or fade in and out (to prevent taping).

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001

I actually use a nice Yamaha receiver now. Don't have to use the modulator any more. :D

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MustISO
Panhandle a little and buy a new TV for G*D sake!
I actually have a spare 27" sitting around, but it's waaaaaaaaaaay too big for the bedroom. This is just a stopgap until I find a good deal on a small LCD. ;)

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

I never had problems with this... i ran DVD and an Xbox through VCR for many many years..
no issues in DVD or VHS or Xbox

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: CVSiN

I never had problems with this... i ran DVD and an Xbox through VCR for many many years..

Well the XBOX wouldn't have any issues. Just the DVD. I've noticed it. It's not as bad as running a VCR into another VCR, though.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: CVSiN

The key is a VCR with no automatic gain control.

Macrovision screws with the AGC & makes the VCR constantly adjust trying to compensate for what it deems a problem in input.

RF converter is the easiest way to do it.

Viper GTS

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
I would expect more of the other lifer than to suggest going to overpriced Radioshack.