**OLD THREAD** League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Well, I use twitch pretty much 95% of the time and I'd say 80% of that, I easily get 20-30 kills. In fact I am damn near close to having a 2 K/DR and that's after I finally learned how to play the game and had 200 kills less then deaths.

Not sure what exactly they did to "nerf" him but damn, the other night we were defending our base and I decided to to go "scout" well I went and grabbed a lizard buff and walked up top to where their turret was, the turret just in front of the stairs and saw 4 of them together. Well I popped deadly poison, then ulti, and then expunge and dropped all 4 in a matter of 20 seconds. The 5th guy came running in and took considerably less time to bring down. I'd say about 45 seconds after the 5th guy died the other team surrendered lol.

Oh, I wasn't saying Twitch isn't still viable. It was just that before his nerf he was very OP. Anyone could become a monster with Twitch as long as they didn't feed early game. They nerfed his ultimate by increasing the CD and also reducing the attack speed buff. But the range wasn't touched which still allows him to be a ridiculous since he out-ranges the towers and every other character. And his lack of appearance in games lately is probably more due to him not being in free rotation. 6300IP is a lot.

I played a lot of Mordekaiser over the weekend. I must have gone 15-2 and one of those losses was because our team makeup was horrible. We only had one ranged hero vs. a team with four ranged. Lots of fun playing with Morde and he's probably going to be my main now for awhile.

Last edited:

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
See the issue I have is, is that people just genuinely seem to get how to play the game/characters properly. It's like people refused to play the tutorial and read one of the many posts on different forums with regards to what build older/runes/masteries one should go with. It's like a switch in their brains just goes off every time they load up LoL and forget about basic stuff like survival and teamwork.

I try to discuss strategy with my fellow teammates before the game starts and at least try to get everyone to commit to a lane but when the game starts, everyone just goes and does their own thing. It's frustrating.

Meh, I guess I can't say this is an issue in just this game, in fact it seems to be more a common problem in every game now, but god it gets so aggravating that you can't seem to enjoy playing a simple game and not have to deal with idiots who CHOOSE to make life a living hell for the rest of us.

BTW, please don't bitch if you ahve a twitch on your team and doesn't openly start attacking stuff especially when he is stealth-ed. He gets an attack speed bonus the longer he sits stealth-ed.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
BTW, please don't bitch if you ahve a twitch on your team and doesn't openly start attacking stuff especially when he is stealth-ed. He gets an attack speed bonus the longer he sits stealth-ed.

so should i expect the twitch to help out in the fight or not? cuz that would totally change my play.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
so should i expect the twitch to help out in the fight or not? cuz that would totally change my play.

I would suspect if the player had any sort of skill with twitch, then you should expect that. Most people I've played with or have talked to almost never buy health or armor gear for twitch and focus primarily on offensive gear. So the ability for twitch to be able to tank at all isn't very good, obviously, and you will almost never see me or any other player, initiate a fight without us having some sort of advantage, I.E. jump from behind or while they are focused on something/someone else.

BTW, my build goes as follows:

Doran's Blade
Avarice Blade x 2
level 1 boots
B.F. Sword
Lifesteal Sceptre
Infinity Blade (edge?)
Bloodthirster
Last Whisper
Phantom Dancer

Abilities:

Stealth (Q)
Debilitating Poison(W)
Expunge (E)
E
E
Q
E
W
E
W
W
Q
W
Q
Q
R
R
R

I hold off on the ulti for the simple fact I do WAY more damage when I can hit a summoner with coming out of stealth for an attack speed bonus, drop W, hit the person with normal attack stacking poison 4-6 times, and then dropping E with stacked with the normal attack poison and W, makes for a WICKED burst DPS.

With my build, usually am doing 245 attack power and 1.3-1.6 attack speed and usually am critting with almost every attack I do. Once I hit level 18 and have Infinity and Bloodthirster, I am critting for around 700-800.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
I would suspect if the player had any sort of skill with twitch, then you should expect that. Most people I've played with or have talked to almost never buy health or armor gear for twitch and focus primarily on offensive gear. So the ability for twitch to be able to tank at all isn't very good, obviously, and you will almost never see me or any other player, initiate a fight without us having some sort of advantage, I.E. jump from behind or while they are focused on something/someone else.

BTW, my build goes as follows:

Doran's Blade
Avarice Blade x 2
level 1 boots
B.F. Sword
Lifesteal Sceptre
Infinity Blade (edge?)
Bloodthirster
Last Whisper
Phantom Dancer

Abilities:

Stealth (Q)
Debilitating Poison(W)
Expunge (E)
E
E
Q
E
W
E
W
W
Q
W
Q
Q
R
R
R

I hold off on the ulti for the simple fact I do WAY more damage when I can hit a summoner with coming out of stealth for an attack speed bonus, drop W, hit the person with normal attack stacking poison 4-6 times, and then dropping E with stacked with the normal attack poison and W, makes for a WICKED burst DPS.

With my build, usually am doing 245 attack power and 1.3-1.6 attack speed and usually am critting with almost every attack I do. Once I hit level 18 and have Infinity and Bloodthirster, I am critting for around 700-800.

Ahh Twitch, I still use him alot even after being "nerfed". My build order is quite different then yours, but its just as effective (i usually have 15-25 kills a game, 267-117 K/D) I go for the lifesteal/speed combo.

My build is as follows
E - Q - E - Q - W - R -E - Q - W - E - W - Q - W - R - R
Doran's Blade
Beserkers Greaves
Maladay
BloodThirster
Phantom Dancer
Maladay
Then sell Doran's blade for Infinty Edge

By the time i have bloodthirster, i have around 2.1 attack speed, and do between 160-200 DMG depending on the stack on bloodthirst, i can almost always take on any hero 1v1 no problem with that amount of lifesteal, and throwing in the ulti in a group fight is almost guaranteed full health at the end, as long as my team is semi-decent.

all i need to do is find a way to add in health to the mix, and i could have a twitch tank!

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Just started playing this weekend and loving every second of it.

Got the Riot Skin chick for the facebook fanning of LoL, and really enjoying playing with her.

Using rocket jump to get behind the enemy and blast them towards my tower and ally is just hilarious.

Also yesterday I rocket jumped over to find someone jungling alone and dominated him, it was great. By far the rocket jump is my favorite ability, allowing me to use it offensively and defensively.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Ahh Twitch, I still use him alot even after being "nerfed". My build order is quite different then yours, but its just as effective (i usually have 15-25 kills a game, 267-117 K/D) I go for the lifesteal/speed combo.

My build is as follows
Doran's Blade
Beserkers Greaves
Maladay
BloodThirster
Phantom Dancer
Maladay

By the time i have bloodthirster, i have around 2.1 attack speed, and do between 160-200 DMG depending on the stack on bloodthirst, i can almost always take on any hero 1v1 no problem with that amount of lifesteal, and throwing in the ulti in a group fight is almost guaranteed full health at the end, as long as my team is semi-decent.

all i need to do is find a way to add in health to the mix, and i could have a twitch tank!

I was using a HEAVY Attack Speed build but man I tried this build maybe 2 times ( and I think I posted about it earlier) where I jumped 4 dudes from the other team, rolled them and the 5th guy who showed up late, in the span of what 30 seconds by myself and after that, I was sold.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
I just created an account and will play tonight. Anything I should know to get started?

I've never played DotA!

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
I just created an account and will play tonight. Anything I should know to get started?

I've never played DotA!

Start with tutorial and some practice games, from there its an odd learning curve. Took me about 50 games before I realized just how easy it is to make a small mistake, and cost your team dearly.

Best thing to start is just learn the basics about how the game flows, items, and learn 1 or 2 champs.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Start with tutorial and some practice games, from there its an odd learning curve. Took me about 50 games before I realized just how easy it is to make a small mistake, and cost your team dearly.

Best thing to start is just learn the basics about how the game flows, items, and learn 1 or 2 champs.

^^this

I kinda put it to people in the sense that overall it's about who can be the biggest bitch and basically turret hug or not put yourself in a position that will cost you or your team dearly. Small stuff like watching the map for when people from the other team go "MIA" and suddenly appear behind you and just stomp ya.

I'd honestly suggest, at least for the time being, playing basically in "support mode" and I mean just hanging with another person and be their backup so to speak. To many people who are new try to be a hero and just end up feeding the other team.

I've also been meaning to tell you guys that my bud and I play every night and we are always on vent so if you want advice or just some friendly folks to play with, by all means shoot me a PM, and I can get you the vent info!

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
for those playing this, i bought the collector's pack not knowing it was free online, i havent opened it, is the collectors pack worth having with the little extra that it gives. or will my game not be significantly affected?

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
for those playing this, i bought the collector's pack not knowing it was free online, i havent opened it, is the collectors pack worth having with the little extra that it gives. or will my game not be significantly affected?

The game itself is free, however, you have to "purchase" the champions. You can use points you earn in game - which takes quite awhile to get the champions. I think the pack you bought gives you 20 champs along with some runes and RP's. I'd say its not a bad deal, depending how much ya paid.

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
The game itself is free, however, you have to "purchase" the champions. You can use points you earn in game - which takes quite awhile to get the champions. I think the pack you bought gives you 20 champs along with some runes and RP's. I'd say its not a bad deal, depending how much ya paid.

20$ for the pack.

"One exclusive alternate Champion skin model -Kayle the Judicator; 20 playable Champions; 4 special Summoner Runes; $10 of Riot Points for use in the Store "

is htere a digital version of this pack though.. there's none on steam

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
20$ for the pack.

"One exclusive alternate Champion skin model -Kayle the Judicator; 20 playable Champions; 4 special Summoner Runes; $10 of Riot Points for use in the Store "

You can buy it from LoL for $30.00. I'd say its not a bad deal for the time you'll spend earning those heroes.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
No digital version of that pack :[

That Kayle skin is only through the one you got. The online digital collectors has the Goth Annie skin.

20$ for the pack.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
Looks like we posted almost at the same time. I'm at work and thus can't verify it, but I'm pretty sure that the online digital collectors edition gives the Goth Annie and not the Kayle skin.

You can buy it from LoL for $30.00. I'd say its not a bad deal for the time you'll spend earning those heroes.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
So far I've only played two characters... The blue chick and the pirate guy. Both seem to be melee.

I've done OK with both. I've gotten my ass handed to me, but I'm understanding what's going on. With the pirate I was sacrificing my minions for the team buff a lot, hopefully that's smart (not sure).

What are some good support type role characters I should try? Something good for a noob?

Also, what should the first char I buy be?? I asked online and someone said Jax?

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
I used to build Malady first on teemo and twitch, but it seems there's a consensus that malady sucks. I rarely ever see anyone building it anymore. Not making a personal attack, just saying the item is mediocre.

I see that you might want more lifesteal early on, but may I suggest Last Whisper for attack speed? I think the armor penetration would offer a lot more than the damage from malady hits.

Come mid-end game 20-30 minutes ++, most champions die in 3-10 hits (2-4 seconds), so you're really not getting much bonus damage at all.

A good team will focus twitch first, always. Always.

Getting a second malady would be bad imo x_x With your previous items, you're either going to rip someone to shreds in 2-4 seconds or get killed just as fast, so having that tiny bit extra attack speed and lifesteal when you're already attacking that fast isn't doing much at all.

Side note: Been losing so my gangplank ratio is no longer 2:1 :[ I'm around 89-48.

I did run into Phreak last night, the Riot guy who does the "champion spotlight" videos. While our team won a good number of team fights, we lost because of group comp and Sivir pushed the shit out of us.

Taric/Soraka/Rammus/zilean/Sivir could not be stopped by Gangplank, Kat, Kassadin, Amumu, and Zilean.

We had no ranged physical DPS to counter sivir, and Taric/Soraka heals with Rammus/Taric sporting Sprit Visage's were way more than our burst dps.

I still say Nidalee and Sivir are two of the best Tier 1, most bullshit heros. Fuck them both.

My build is as follows
Doran's Blade
Beserkers Greaves
Maladay
BloodThirster
Phantom Dancer
Maladay

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Looks like we posted almost at the same time. I'm at work and thus can't verify it, but I'm pretty sure that the online digital collectors edition gives the Goth Annie and not the Kayle skin.

You may be right on that. I can't justify spending $30.00 on a game that seems to be down every day.

Russwinters

Jul 31, 2009
I have played both LoL and HoN, my personal preference is definitely HoN.

Thats not to say LoL is a bad game; I have a few friends who enjoy it. I just don't like the control, and flow of the game as much.

I would play both and see which you like more.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
Blue chick (Eve) is more of an advanced character, and also arguably one of the worst characters. She adds little to team fights and is mostly a ganker that is easily countered.

Most people play her as an AP caster. I've seen some physical damage, and none have done well. Most people queue dodge her.

Pirate is my new main, and although he is a melee character, your primary ability is Q. Generally, he is built with pure crit and damage, because it is all about critting your Q ability.

Sacrificing minions is good because it denies the enemy champions of XP and potential gold, but generally, pirate is considered a farmer and pretty much a caster until end game. With good items, pirate turns from a caster into a hard carry, although he is still fragile.

If you want tips on pirate or how I build him (a little different from most), let me know :)

What type of "support" characters are you looking to play? There are mostly healers, but Zilean is a combination of support and a mage.

Sometimes, the best support a player can do is to ***1 - not die. 2 - be at team fights.*** Know when to fight and when to run, but this will come with time. In lower ELO ranges, when people see teammates fighting on the other side of the map, no one ever comes because they assume "oh its far." You almost always start moving to help, even if you don't think you'll get there in time.

Anyway, you can even play a character like "sivir" as support damage. Just don't die, and be there to add damage in throwing your boomerang, and use your ult in team fights.

In terms of character to buy, Jax is VERY strong in that he deals a ton of damage very fast. I believe he is one of the most overpowered characters next to Sivir and Nidalee. He is not too difficult to play either, however, he costs 3150 IP. Depending on how much you play, give all the free characters a shot, see whose abilities you like. Also, see what enemy characters seem to do well against you.

For an easy to play, ranged damage dealer, I personally recommend Sivir. She is 450 IP, one of the absolute cheapest in price. She is considered to be a Tier1/top tier hero by high ELO players.

So far I've only played two characters... The blue chick and the pirate guy. Both seem to be melee.

I've done OK with both. I've gotten my ass handed to me, but I'm understanding what's going on. With the pirate I was sacrificing my minions for the team buff a lot, hopefully that's smart (not sure).

What are some good support type role characters I should try? Something good for a noob?

Also, what should the first char I buy be?? I asked online and someone said Jax?

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
Since the patch a full week ago, the game servers have been having issues every day. I normally play at least once a day for the IP bonus, but on Friday, I didn't even get to play at all.

While the servers do have issues, with either being down or games not going through, it's normally not that bad.

I've paid $45 + 10 for points for skins and am still very satisfied with the game and my purchase.

@Russwinters - Yup, liking HoN (dota clone) vs LoL is purely personal choice in how the game flows. I've played Dota for years and years, but after trying LoL, I fell in love because of the customization and variety.

The cost difference might be quite a turnoff for some people though. $30 buys you the full HoN game. One price, that's it.

LoL continuously releases new characters. I like this because there are always new heros and keeps the game super fun and fresh, even after having played 600+ games. However, if you want to own them all, you must continuously play in order to earn points (or simply buy them). This might be a turn off to a player who doesn't play that much yet does not want to spend IRL $$$ to buy characters.

Even with the tons of games I've played and having bought the character packs, I'm still missing Udyr/poppy, and Kennen. If you want to have a lot of different runes to play different characters/playstyles, it's time costly.

You may be right on that. I can't justify spending $30.00 on a game that seems to be down every day.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Thanks Cx.

I had to pull up an acronym page to decode your post ;)

Let me get something straight - do I start with free characters, or are the characters I'm using now only free this week? I used Sivir for one game last night and she did seem pretty good.

I have a few basic questions:
1. When, if ever, do you kill random monsters in the land? I assume at the beginning of the round?
2. What is ability power?
3. You mention that it is good to help teammates even if they are across the map. Considering how fast characters are always spawning and moving, it seems like a lot of the time this means abandoning a post, ie, leaving it open for destruction. Is this not normally the case?
4. How much should I focus on killing the minions? How much exp do I get from being near them as opposed to dealing killing blows?
5. How much exp and stuff do I get for an assist / kill of a hero?

Thanks guys. Are servers up right now? And when you say you have trouble playing, do servers go completely down, or does the game run laggy, or what happens? When is scheduled maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.