Old School video question

rocketbubba

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
Am working on my kid's Win98SE computer. The machine was using a Geforce 3 Ti500 (64mb) card and it worked like a champ. Got a Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti4600 (128mb) in a trade and decided to try it in the machine so that it might handle some newer games better. Problem is when I installed the 4600 his games (mostly older racing games) are running badly - very low FPS. When I installed the 4600 I used new drivers so after having the problems I went back to the old drivers with no luck. I also tried unistalling the games and reinstalling them - still no luck. The Leadtek card is in great shape and works fine other than when playing those games. Anybody have any ideas why the old card seems to out perform the newer one?

KBTuning

Mar 22, 2005
what driver are you using for the GF4.... get the ones that Futuremark says are approved for the FX series for 3Dmark03... thats what i used w/ my old Ti4200...

rocketbubba

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking drivers so it looks like I'm on the right track. I'll try the safe mode, etc. route and see what that brings. The first driver I used was the new one on nVidia's page - 81.89. The GF3 card was using an old 53.XX driver that seemed to work well with it so I uninstalled the 81.89 and went back to that old one - no luck there. I even tried reinstalling the old card and even it ran badly. So I guess that must mean driver problems. Thanks for all the replies! Any other suggestions/help is welcome.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
If only you had done a card swap WITHOUT changing the drivers at the same time. I would have upgraded the drivers with the old card, or upgraded the card with the GF4, but not both at the same time.

I think that unistalling the drivers in safe mode and the re-installing is your best bet.

-Good Luck, Ken

rocketbubba

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions. Dang, I wish I hadn't swapped the drivers now. I thought that since I was installing a newer card that installed a new driver would be good too. Well, I'm learning that lesson. Anyway, I tried the SafeMode-UninstallDrivers-DriverCleaner-ReinstallDriver route and it didn't do much good. I just can't seem to get this video card to work smoothly with this machine. I thought that moving from a GF3 to a GF4 would be a good thing. I'll look for the ones at Futuremark and see if those help. Thanks and any other suggestions are appreciated.