Intel® 845 chipset
More info here

Part Category Description Part Number
CPU Fan Type: cpu fan socket 478 1565
CPU: P4P-1600 CPEMIN1553P4
MB: MB Dublin MBEM1552DUBLIN0
Memory: SDRAM 256M (Max. 1.5GB) 1439
Video: nVdia TNT2 M64, 32M VAEM1505TN32

Question: What is the fastest processor that can be installed into this system using the same MB? I am thinking it's a Northwood core P4, which means that the Prescott is not compatible, right? Even the eMachines site is not clear on upgrades or even which core this P4 is.

Thanks,

Matt

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It all depends on which socket she has and what FSBs are supported by the motherboard.

If it's a 533 (133) mhz FSB socket 478 board, I think her best chip available is the 3.06 ghz Northwood.

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
It all depends on which socket she has and what FSBs are supported by the motherboard.

If it's a 533 (133) mhz FSB socket 478 board, I think her best chip available is the 3.06 ghz Northwood.

I'd have to assume it's 533 mhz. Her RAM is PC133.

That 3.06 is apparently hard to find and expensive on eBay. I have found a Mobile 3.06 on eBay...is the Mobile identical performance-wise? This one is very cheap.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Don't. The 845 was the worst thing Intel has done to us in a very long time. Wait until you can do a full upgrade, then stomp on it and bash it in with all of your repressed primate rage. Even if it can take a much faster CPU (I'm thinking a 2.4A is the limit), that will not help it much.

If it only has 256MB RAM, that would be what to upgrade.

swing848

Nov 11, 2007
Originally posted by: street carp

Question: What is the fastest processor that can be installed into this system using the same MB?

Thanks,

Matt

You need to contact technical support and ask that question, as the link you provided did not specify the motherboard model or any helpful information regarding your question about the CPU.

I do not suggest that you spend very much money on your computer because it is basically a throw-away. The only thing worth saving out of your computer might be the 60GB hard drive, but it is five years old, so no one could tell you how much longer it will live.

You could donate your computer to a tax exempt orginization and take the donation off of your taxes. And, you might be able to purchase a better computer from someplace like the Salvation Army for $25 or so.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Cerb
Don't. The 845 was the worst thing Intel has done to us in a very long time. Wait until you can do a full upgrade, then stomp on it and bash it in with all of your repressed primate rage. Even if it can take a much faster CPU (I'm thinking a 2.4A is the limit), that will not help it much.

Actually, they made 2.5A's, 2.6A's, and 2.8A's. Of course, with those prices, I'd let them keep them.

edit: Of course, that doesn't mean that her motherboard will accept one that runs @ 2.8 Ghz. IIRC, quite a few of the Skt 478 motherboards were multiplier limited, or something to that effect.

If it only has 256MB RAM, that would be what to upgrade.

I agree. You can find used PC133 pretty much for free, these days, if you don't mind it being used, and pay for the shipping.

Nathelion

Jan 30, 2006
yup don't waste money on that thing unless you want to do it as a hobby thing. It's not worth it from a monetary standpoint.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Actually I do a lot of work on older systems and depending on the use that can be a fine little box. If you are looking to play games, it obviously won't cut it. However, with some additional memory (take it up to 512MB or so) it will definitely be adequate for web browsing, email, kids schoolwork, etc.

I do agree with the above comments, don't throw any real money into this system. Just pick up some nearly free memory and see if that improves performance enough to make it useful for another year or so. A fresh/clean install of Windows never hurts either.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hmm good catch on the mobo restrictions people. Yeah, in that case, upgrading the CPU makes no sense. Getting good Northwood chips these days is hard anyway so even if it were a i845e board it'd still be a pain to upgrade.

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Yeah, I did the math and financially it just doesn't make sense to spend much $ on it. This is my sister's computer (actually my ex-computer) and I will get it back when she buys a new one. I won't be spending any serious money on it, but will keep it as a 2nd backup. At least I have a better idea which processor will work it in case I run across one really, really cheap.

Thanks for all the links and advice. I'll keep my eye out for the RAM as well. I used to have 1.5GB (3 x 512MB) in it, and honestly that really wasn't a bad computer, esp. in 2002. When I built my 2 Athlon XP systems it wasn't that huge of a difference.

Matt