Old school overclockin' - Celeron 433 @ 650

White Widow

Jan 27, 2000
About 2 months ago I fried my 650e when the water leaked out of my watercooling rig and, well, it was a mess. Strapped for cash, I purchased a Celeron 433 PPGA to put in my P3V4X until I could decide what to do next. Well, it seems all the cash I earned was going towards other things (like my rent and my girlfriend) and I never got around to getting another CPU. Running at 433 (with a CRAPPY generic HS/Fan - could not overclock AT ALL!!) was OK, but today my overclocking spirit became too restless to contain, and I pulled out my bag of computer junk to see just what I could rig up.

To keep it short, I ended up securing a VOS-32 heatsink and 2 GlobalWin fans to my Iwill Slocket-II with nylon string (it works REALLY well - very secure) and put a 72W (13.8v) peltier in between the heatsink and the CPU slug. A little silver paste and we were ready to go. I was intially dismayed because my system wouldn't do 83MHz FSB at all. I could barely get past POST. I didn't think it was an AGP or PCI limitation, and just got really frustrated. The temperatures were hovering around 18 at 2.0v 433MHz, so I decided to just throw on that mystical 100MHz FSB @ 2.3v and see what happened. Well, it booted up, went to Windows and has been purring ever since.

I have a few benchmarks, but they are obviously nothing extraordinary, so I won't waste anyone's bandwidth with the screenshots. I never really expected this kind of performance out of an old-school Celeron. My past experience with PPGA Celeron's and P3's was that you really couldn't expect the .25u core to go past 550MHz or 600MHz at best, especially since my CPU temp is running around 24-28 when idle in Win98 - definately NOT supercooling. I guess those later batches of Celeron's were really the pick of the .25u litter, though. I wonder how far this rig could take a 700e...it's so much easier than using the whole damn water setup.

-Aaron

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
run that little screamer with pride, it ain't much slower than that old 650E at 650.