Old raptor vs new drives

iamchel

Nov 19, 2007
Hello everyone. I'm currently looking to change out my old maxtor 6v250f0 250gb drive for something new (I have a feeling its going to fail soon since its starting to make clicking noises and whatnot). I have one question though, right now I'm using a 36gb raptor for windows and a few applications while the 250 is primarily for storage. Will something like the WD1001FALS outperform the raptor, or are these drive still decent? Also what would you guys recommend for top performance in the same price range as the WD1001FALS? Capacity wise I'm currently only using like 50gb but that's only from software, some websites, and games - no music included, which is still very little :shrug:. Thanks for the help.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Well, you wont find anything in the same price range thats faster so...that pretty much answers your question.

The WD black drives are great but, im pretty sure even the old raptors should have faster access times. Im pretty sure mine does.

I use a 74gb raptor as main and 640 black as slave.

The only upgrade you can really get for speed is the velociraptor and thats $150+.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Well...are you in any crunch for space with your 36GB/250GB setup?

Because you can get the 300GB Velociraptor for $200 (after rebate) and that's going to be faster than your old Raptor plus has about the same storage space as both of your old drives combined.

EDIT: Just read your post a little closer and saw you're only using about 50GB right now. That being the case, just go for the 150GB Velociraptor for $150AR and you're set.

SunSamurai

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Fallengod
Well, you wont find anything in the same price range thats faster so...that pretty much answers your question.

The WD black drives are great but, im pretty sure even the old raptors should have faster access times. Im pretty sure mine does.

I use a 74gb raptor as main and 640 black as slave.

The only upgrade you can really get for speed is the velociraptor and thats $150+.

=(