Old people should not be allowed to drive (Update - Added pic of truck wreck)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Unfortunately, I've seen many scary things on the road as a result of senior citizens behind the wheel who should have had their licenses yanked years ago. You do have your bonehead teenagers out there, but there are many, many more senior citizen drivers. The teenagers will get better with experience, whereas most likely the seniors will see their driving skills decline with age.

My grandmother, who is 73, took a safe-driving course for senior citizens at the local seniors center. She is a safe driver, and I have no problem with her driving. She pays attention to where she is going, drives with the flow of traffic, and doesn't try to make ridiculously dangerous maneuvers like many seniors do. She drives to and from work every day and never has any problems.

One phenomenon I have seen is that the worse their driving skills are, the bigger car they seem to drive. The worst ones I have seen are usually driving big old Cadillacs or Lincolns. That makes them even more of a menace to society. Sometimes they can't even see of the wheel/dash of these huge cars they insist on driving.

I feel that starting at age 65, all drivers should have to be retested every 5 years.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Every 2 years after 70 sounds about right to me. Some people are great drivers at 70, but some suck at ANY age.

On the opposite side of the coin, I am darn glad that they have raised the driving age down here to 18. A lot of 16 years olds drive like they are flying fighter planes or something! There is nothing worse than being near a high school when classes let out. The stupidity I have seen when the kiddies get behind the wheel is amazing.

Being behind the wheel of a car is a serious responsibility, and I think drivers should be up to the task.

Oh, and it has been a Full Moon. It reached its peak in the wee hours of the morning (last night). :)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
HA, score another fubar situation for Florida.

My 97 year old Uncle and 98 year old aunt (not kidding about these ages) both had drivers liscences until they died in the last 2 years. Florida testing in these areas is nil.

Neither were good drivers when young so imagine how they were at the last. My Uncle did drive up to the end (had fainting spells also). At least my Aunt had better sense, had the lisc. but didnt drive.

Hope when my time comes, I shut off the Ram Air T/A for good.

Glad you are OK, Montel or at least the same as always. :D

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
<<no, some old people shouldn't be allowed to drive. Thats just my opinion. >>

Leave out the old and I will agree with you 100%.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lord, when I die, please let me go as quietly as my grandfather did. Not like the three screaming passengers in his car.

Hehe, saw that on a bumper sticker I think. :p

My great grandmother was driving when she was in her 90s. Backed out of her driveway and through the garage of the people across the alley from her. She didn't even notice, and just drove off on her merry way. I would say driving tests should be given every few years from the time you get your license. Old people don't have a monopoly on bad driving. I've seen plenty of horrible young drivers as well.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
I agree with giving driving test to see whether they can drive safely or not, but I don't think not allowing them to drive is logical! After all, you will be old someday, that is why the saying &quot;what goes around comes around&quot; or vise versa!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Quick question Monel. Did you end up with a concussion despite wearing a seatbelt? What did your head hit? Did an air bag do the damage to your head?

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Sure Ornery.

I got the concussion from banging my head off of numerous things. Some from the force of the impact, but most from these...

Banging my head off the steering wheel, windshield, driver's window, roof, and my chest.

I have a speaker box behind the seat, so lose two seat clicks plus me being 6'0 put me a little cramped in an S10. I had my seatbelt on, but it does not have an airbag (It was an 1986)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I see several stickers in the back window. If you had one of those Calvin pissing on Ford stickers, you deserved to be hit.

;) Hey, I'm kidding dammit!

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< are YOU willing to shuttle this old person around to get groceries, medicine or go to the doctor? >>

If they were my relative, and therefore my responsibility, of course. It is better than them dying or killing another.

<< There are plenty of old people on the road driving responsibly. >>

Then they would have no trouble passing the test.

Freedom is important, no question. The fact is, though, that we all age and eventually arrive at a point where we are not safe behind the wheel. I equate this to the driver who's had too much to drink and, while he is stubborn and may think he can drive safely, as his friend I would take the keys even if I had to tackle him.

Russ, NCNE

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
What my bumper stickers say...

One is from the Buzz Poets.
One says &quot;Prevent Mental Health&quot;
One says &quot;Broke! Rob me only if you need the practice.&quot;
One says &quot;Tourists go home... but leave your daughters.&quot;
One says &quot;Not so close... I hardly know you.&quot;

:D

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, that's a hard hit. What were Ma and Pa Kettle driving? Was it one of those Land Yahcts?

Windogg

sweetrobin

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2000
If you had made infact 2 feet back on the truck you would have been dead ... you are very blessed .. someone is watching out for you ... dont take it for granted ... I'm glad to know you are okay :)

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
BoberFett, that was on a movie too. I think it went something like:

&quot;I just want to do peaceful sleeping like my father did, not screaming and crying like the passengers on his bus!&quot;