old people bitter about dying just as technology starting to get good?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Old people happy to see all the advancement orders of magnitude more than anybody else in all of human history. I think you will see concentration of technologic advancement happening the most from like 1930 to 1960. We went from biplanes to man on the moon in a few decades. We went from the Model T to having a hundred different models of cars. We went from steam locomotives to diesel electric. Nuclear power was born.

I dont believe anybody who dies now will be bitter because they didnt see the new tech. They might be bitter or pissed about it because they were born too late to see the genesys of all the tech.

"Young people bitter they never got to use analog tech and are stuck with digital"

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Saw on the news theres a company making real progress in civilian space travel. We should have trips in the next couple years if everything goes well.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Tech will improve, but this last decade feels like it's been a let down. 95-2005 = Amazing advancements. 2005-2015 = technology improving not to help our lives as much as destroy our privacy/targeted ads/"Updates" that do nothing but strip down features etc and make a product worse. "Facebook" and other entities dumbing down their UI with the hope you take more clicks getting to where you want, seeing more ads in the process. And so forth.

And then there's the new computer scheduling which while having existed a while, really got taken to a new level for minimum wage workers. Logistical burdens that were once a corporations problem have been offloaded onto employees instead. What used to be steady 8 hour days have turned into a 3 hour shift here, 5 hour shift there as a computer anticipates demand and dictates your life around it. Oh well. Maybe in another decade we'll be back to advancements that actually improve common quality of life again instead of diminishing it.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Speaking as an old person, I can definitively say "we don't give a fuck".
Most of the "technology" kids love are foolish gadgets, the bulk of those are communications devices designed to insure you'll never have to go through the trauma of actually speaking face to face with another person.
The single best thing about being old is that we got to grow up before there was a "friend zone". I don't understand why the young men of the world haven't hunted down the idiot that thought that up and burned him at the stake.

I threw said idiot down a pit when no one was looking as a reward for making a close friend a girlfriend. If you so wish though, I can pour some gasoline and a lit match.

Last edited: