old people bitter about dying just as technology starting to get good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I'm sorry Remobz.

Although, I doubt a cure will come to market. There's too much money to be made in treatment.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It's not that us old geezers avoid technology as much we assign it a lower priority than other forms of interaction. Adopting technology is further obfuscated by 'yoots' who think we'll somehow be impressed by how fast they can navigate facebook. We tend to view most apps and social media as wasting time at the speed of light. We shake our heads every time we see 'yoots' melt down due to lack of connectivity. We're not bitter, 'aint nobody got time fo dat.' :D

Feb 25, 2011
It's not that us old geezers avoid technology as much we assign it a lower priority than other forms of interaction. Adopting technology is further obfuscated by 'yoots' who think we'll somehow be impressed by how fast they can navigate facebook. We tend to view most apps and social media as wasting time at the speed of light. We shake our heads every time we see 'yoots' melt down due to lack of connectivity. We're not bitter, 'aint nobody got time fo dat.' :D

405f745191d0a376892d81d23e740e87.jpg

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Deeply silly post by someone obviously too young to have any perspective. I don't even need to read the thread to know that someone has handled this matter above.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
I'm already pretty tired of hearing about stuff like Windows 10 and Android updates.I don't care about the software that operates my microwave or car. Why do I need to know what system my phone uses to function?
I agree. Every version of Windows broke more of my MS-DOS games. These touching screens and social apps inside a phone are BS! Only site on the internet that looks like 1999 anymore is Anandtech Forums, so I will not venture outside here on my 11 year old laptop unless it's to boot into FreeDos.

*shakes fist at all these new kids who got hired into Microsoft / Apple / etc.*

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think old people are bitter about growing old or the lack of technology to keep them young.
Maybe for the young there is bitterness?
Life cut short. Illness or disability. Wishing for a cure or hoping technological could save them.
But getting old, the old folks? They seem to adjust mentally to the inevitable.
Take the nursing home for example.
Residents live from day to day and appreciate the little things.
A visit. A smile. A kind word. Someone taking the time to chat. A little attention.
And something else... they seem to get a lot of pleasure out of spreading a little cheer toward others.
They don't ask for much nor do they expect a lot.
That is wisdom that comes with age.
One cannot learn that wisdom, it only comes from experience.
I don't see any bitterness from the old folks. One must make the most out of the little things. The youth have no idea what that is all about. But one day... they will. ;)

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Technology just starting to get good ?

I guess the OP is thinking about computer technology. Nope, it's the opposite. Computer technology development is almost over. We got 10nm chips now. We'll get down to 1nm. And then we're done. Frequency might get a bit higher. Power usage will go down. But compute-speed per square (or cubic) centimeter will be limited. Because of minimal transistor size. Computer might get 10x or 100x faster as they are today. And that's it. The end. The limit.

It's like what happened in the sixties. Men flew to the moon ! We had dreams of human-populated centers on the moon, daily spaceships flying between earth and moon. The human race expanding to Mars, Juniper and its moons, etc. Interstellar space travel. In the end, it was too expensive, too impractical, impossible and didn't have enough benefits. The expectations were much much higher than what we got in the end.

Same thing will happen with computers. There will be improvements, new applications. Software will improve (if only because of parallelism). But I bet that computer and software technology will make a much smaller leap 2015 to 2040 than we've seen 1990-2015. With much less impact.

Can you imagine living in the early 20th century ? Einstein came up with relativity. Quantum mechanics was invented. Truly spectacular times. Human kind was about to unravel the mysteries of the universe. Must suck to have missed that.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Not one bit.

I do imagine though what the last piece of tech will be that I get to experience though before I die.

Sex androids? AI? Playstation 10? Quantum Computing?

I see myself playing video games and using tech until I die - unless it's social media related; anything social media related can DIAF.

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Young people realizing that they will have to work forever , they may be bitter . Old people tend to take life one day at a time , with death becoming the final episode in their own three act play .

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Or maybe we a laughing and rubbing our hands and saying "Excellent!"
We got ours. Wonder what the hell you guys are going to do to get yours.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
My 92 year old Grandma can barely work the TV and has never had any interest in learning computers. I don't think she's particularly concerned about technology.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Im old, bitter, depressed and pissed. Basically the same as Ive been my entire life so I see very little difference.

I want to be uploaded unless I can get a new body.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I saw an old dude pick up a newspaper in a store.

I then pulled out my Nexus 5 and laughed. I can view current news within seconds while he has to wait for the news to hit the newsstands. Even viewing the news on TV is slow compared to what I can do online.

Misery loves company.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002

Yea, old people know whats important in life. And its not facebook.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I guess the OP is thinking about computer technology. Nope, it's the opposite. Computer technology development is almost over. We got 10nm chips now. We'll get down to 1nm. And then we're done. Frequency might get a bit higher. Power usage will go down. But compute-speed per square (or cubic) centimeter will be limited. Because of minimal transistor size. Computer might get 10x or 100x faster as they are today. And that's it. The end. The limit.

It's like what happened in the sixties. Men flew to the moon ! We had dreams of human-populated centers on the moon, daily spaceships flying between earth and moon. The human race expanding to Mars, Juniper and its moons, etc. Interstellar space travel. In the end, it was too expensive, too impractical, impossible and didn't have enough benefits. The expectations were much much higher than what we got in the end.

Same thing will happen with computers. There will be improvements, new applications. Software will improve (if only because of parallelism). But I bet that computer and software technology will make a much smaller leap 2015 to 2040 than we've seen 1990-2015. With much less impact.

Can you imagine living in the early 20th century ? Einstein came up with relativity. Quantum mechanics was invented. Truly spectacular times. Human kind was about to unravel the mysteries of the universe. Must suck to have missed that.

Very well put. I'm in my early 60s, been a computer hobbyist since roughly 1980. Personally-except for the proliferation and improvement of cellphones I think the last 10-15 years have been more of a lull than anything else.

My parents were born in the 1920s, my mom in the midwest-no electricity or even indoor plumbing in the childhood home, maybe the town doctor had a car, and if your family had (one) radio you were cutting edge. It's mindboggling the changes that generation went through over their lives.

And remember technology isn't the be all/end all. Don't count on a constant rate of upward improvement over time, either-or maybe even upward improvement. Nearly half the US population dreams of returning us to a variation of the dark ages-and big areas of the rest of the world are even worse. Hopefully I'm wrong-a big chunk of my generation abandoned their ideals and dreams as they "grew up"-hopefully today's 15-40 year olds will lose some of their cynicism and self-centeredness as well.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I saw an old dude pick up a newspaper in a store.

I then pulled out my Nexus 5 and laughed. I can view current news within seconds while he has to wait for the news to hit the newsstands. Even viewing the news on TV is slow compared to what I can do online.

Except print articles are typically longer and contain more journalism. There are alot of 400 word clickbait articles on the web because of the way they generate ad revenue.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012

Very true! But I'm also talking about medical technology and a lot of the profound changes to society will have to do with software and not hardware.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
what do you guys think?

Speaking as an old person, I can definitively say "we don't give a fuck".
Most of the "technology" kids love are foolish gadgets, the bulk of those are communications devices designed to insure you'll never have to go through the trauma of actually speaking face to face with another person.
The single best thing about being old is that we got to grow up before there was a "friend zone". I don't understand why the young men of the world haven't hunted down the idiot that thought that up and burned him at the stake.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Im not even 40 and kind of bitter. I dont believe the technology will be ready for prime time within my lifetime. But I do believe at some point we will be able to make ourselves immortal via technology.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
technology has also miniaturized nuclear weapons too!! A 10k.ton device is only 6" x 15"..about the size of a large thermos. Isn't technology amazing?? Imagine the fun when those get out into the wild!!

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Im not even 40 and kind of bitter. I dont believe the technology will be ready for prime time within my lifetime. But I do believe at some point we will be able to make ourselves immortal via technology.

Sucks doesn't it?

In the future the extent of it will be "Aw man but I really liked that body! Oh well, on to the next one. Hope it's atleast half as good!"

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
what do you guys think?

My "Greatest Generation" parents saw the best decades this country will ever have. I don't think they're worried about dad having an awesome job making piles of money WITH a solid pension, mom staying at home with ease to raise us, being able to buy a house or new cars every few years without breaking a sweat all with nothing more than a high school education vs. your smart phone.