Old Name for Japan in a "Chemistry" crossword puzzle

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
My chemistry 102 professor gave us a chemistry crossworld puzzle for extra credit. Well, for some odd reason, one of the clues is "Old name for Japan."

I have looked online and talked to people in the class. I have heard Taipan to Saipan to Yamato as an old name.

Does anyone know the REAL old name for Japan? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

btw, if anyone knows a 14-letter word (starts w/ "I") for the formation of an ester, please let me know :)

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Nuclear???

Actually I think we dropped an Atom Bomb..

So if you are in chemistry, can you cook up anything good?

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Wow. I think Nippon is correct. We need the 4th letter to be "p" for another clue that we are sure...

KiltedFool

May 30, 2001
Just throwing in that Nippon is likely the right answer, first thing that popped into my head when I read the subject.

KF

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Thanks a bunch AMD Junkie. I'm sure this is the right answer, but it has opened another can of worms:

8-letter word(last letter "N") for "croney in crime"

bTW, don't think I'm just trickin' ya'll to answer my puzzle. I've been working on this thing more than I have for the class itself. I am only a few away from finishing...

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Isn't it Jipangu or Zipangu and Rage187 you are a fking idiot. Making light of stuff like that isn't funny. My granddad died of effects from the radiation from the bomb.

KiltedFool

May 30, 2001
of all the listings a search for "crony" gave on thesaurus.com, only partisan fits. How sure are you of the letter N at the end?

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
shut your trap rage, the comment was unneccessary.

Nippon is the correct answer, goto Japan and they will refer their country as that.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I really appreciate all of your help. I have one more I cannot figure out and I promise to stop asking:

8-letter word for "overspending sprees"

KiltedFool

May 30, 2001
If it was only 7 letters that would be junkets, but as it is, I don't know, will work on it if I get the chance.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000

<< 8-letter word for &quot;overspending sprees&quot; >>

Hot-Deals ;)

KiltedFool

May 30, 2001

<<
btw, if anyone knows a 14-letter word (starts w/ &quot;I&quot;) for the formation of an ester, please let me know :)
>>

I thought the name for that was esterification, but I could be wrong, how reliable is the starts with an I bit?

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

<<

<<
btw, if anyone knows a 14-letter word (starts w/ &quot;I&quot;) for the formation of an ester, please let me know :)
>>

I thought the name for that was esterification, but I could be wrong, how reliable is the starts with an I bit?
>>

Whomever made the crossword puzzle misspelled Le Chatelier's Principle. The &quot;e&quot; and &quot;i&quot; were switched. The only possible answer is esterification. :)

rlism

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2001

<< I really appreciate all of your help. I have one more I cannot figure out and I promise to stop asking:

8-letter word for &quot;overspending sprees&quot;
>>

shopping. hey, holds true for my gf at least...