Old Money

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
I work at a bank and someone brought in some old money today. I have a 1966 $100 bill, with the treasury stamp on it, and apparently it's going for quite alot on ebay. Unfortunately, someone wrote on it. Otherwise, it's in fairly good condition. I also have some 1934 $20 bills. Anyone know what they're worth? I live in a small town, so there aren't any collectors around here to appraise them.

-Kirby

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I mostly collect old coins(generally just ones I run across though-not purchased) mainly just to have them and have no idea what any of them are worth.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Yeah is there a site for this stuff? I have a crapload of coins and bills my grandfather collected during WWII. Just curious to see if it is worth anything if i need to put it in a saftey deposit box or something.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://currency.ha.com/common/...ult.php?ReleaseID=1279

Press Release - December 16, 2006

Heritage Sets World's Paper Money Record

$2,255,000 for "Grand Watermelon"

DALLAS, TX: A world's record price of $2,255,000 was paid for a United States bank note, more than double the previous record, according to Heritage Auction Galleries of Dallas, Texas (www.HA.com). Heritage brokered the private transaction between two collectors in the sale of the only available red seal $1,000 "Grand Watermelon" note (Fr.379b).

"The only other known red seal Grand Watermelon is in the museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco," said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage.

"This note is graded PMG VF-35. It is pedigreed to the famous Albert A. Grinnell collection and was sold at auction by Barney Bluestone for $1,230 in November 1944."

The anonymous seller of the record-breaking bill is described as "a private collector who owned the note for a number of years," and the anonymous buyer was described by Rohan as "a very advanced and sophisticated East Coast collector of art and rare currency."

The $2,255,000 price is more than double the previous record for a Grand Watermelon note, paid in a March 2005 auction for a brown seal, graded PCGS Currency-50. The previous world's record for any bank note was $2,100,000, set this past March each for a Series 1863 $100 denomination Gold Certificate (Fr. 1166c) and a unique Series 1891 $1,000 Treasury Note (Fr. 379c), both privately sold by Heritage.

The portrait on Grand Watermelon notes is Civil War-era General George Gordon Meade who commanded Union Army troops at the Battle of Gettysburg. The Grand Watermelon notes are at the top of the list in the recently-published reference book, The 100 Greatest American Currency Notes, by Q. David Bowers and David Sundman.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Unfortuanely the writing has pretty much ruined the value of the $100 note. You might fetch $110 for it.

The 1934 $20's are very common and I cant recall any rare keynote for the series. Probably worth $22-$25.

If you post the Series I will get off my butt and consult my book.

If they are below average condition, they will not sell period.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: bearxor
Yeah is there a site for this stuff? I have a crapload of coins and bills my grandfather collected during WWII. Just curious to see if it is worth anything if i need to put it in a saftey deposit box or something.

Post the info on the bills, if they have yellow or brown seals they have pretty good value. Hawaii and North Africa....printed during the war.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
My mother actually has a Confederate States of America $100 bill.

Last I checked, however, nobody accepts CSA money :p

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: nick1985

CSA money is counterfieted a lot. I bet if you checked you'll find the same serial number online. IIRC they were put in boxes of cereal and people find them and think they are real.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: nick1985

CSA money is counterfieted a lot. I bet if you checked you'll find the same serial number online. IIRC they were put in boxes of cereal and people find them and think they are real.

Im pretty sure the thing is legit. She had it taken to a coin/money shop downtown and they confirmed that it was an actual bill. The bill itself is kind of tattered, I mean it is over 150 years old, but you can still make out what it is. Im not sure what they told her in terms of value, Id have to ask.