• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Old Memory compatable with Ryzen

TWGF1572

Nov 30, 2012
So I build a new computer about every 5-6 years, and it's getting about there. I know it's a crappy time to build, but I managed to snag a 5600x and 570 Tomahawk at MSRP so here we are. I don't follow computer hardware that closely when I'm not building a new one, so apologies in advance if this is a duh moment question...

My current rig is an i5-6600. I have 16 GB of TridentZ memory in it. 3000 speed, 15 CL. F4-3000C15D-16GTZB

Looking at the Tomahawk QVL, the F4-3000C15D-16GTZ (exactly the same but no B at the end) is listed as compatible. The only explanation I can find online is the B variant has higher sub-timings. It looks like these are both Hynix A dies.

I understand my current sticks may not be the best sticks out there, but my question is whether or not my current sticks would be compatible in the short term? I can get it built, then watch for sales. I just don't know if the "B" at the end matters...

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I understand my current sticks may not be the best sticks out there, but my question is whether or not my current sticks would be compatible in the short term? I can get it built, then watch for sales. I just don't know if the "B" at the end matters...
Memory will always be compatible at JEDEC speeds and timings minimum. These are rated at 2133 @ JEDEC timings in the SPD, so they'll work at that speed @ JEDEC timings. The only question is how far you can push it on the Ryzen. But 3000MHz doesn't seem unrealistic, I'm running 2400MHz DIMMs at 3200MHz f.x.

TWGF1572

Nov 30, 2012
This is helpful. My key thing is that it just needs to be operational, since my kid also uses it for online school. I just don't want to put it together this weekend, and have to do a run to Best Buy to buy some overpriced memory just to get it running for school on Monday.

Game on. I guess I'll see what options I have in the BIOS for memory profiles once I get it together. TBH, I don't remember what it's set to today. It was a bit of a set it and forget it thing when I built the computer back in '15.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Game on. I guess I'll see what options I have in the BIOS for memory profiles once I get it together.
Be careful with XMP profiles on Ryzen systems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There are slight differences between memory implementations on AMD and Intel platforms, so YMMV.

If the profile doesn't boot, try just setting the frequency manually and let the board figure out the timings itself. AM4 has a very good memory training implementation, so that mostly works if you don't set frequency to something ridicules.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Be careful with XMP profiles on Ryzen systems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There are slight differences between memory implementations on AMD and Intel platforms, so YMMV.

If the profile doesn't boot, try just setting the frequency manually and let the board figure out the timings itself. AM4 has a very good memory training implementation, so that mostly works if you don't set frequency to something ridicules.
Is XMP still a problem? I thought it was all mostly fixed with Zen+ and newer AGESA updates.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Is XMP still a problem? I thought it was all mostly fixed with Zen+ and newer AGESA updates.
Bad phrasing perhaps. It mostly works, but I have heard of occasional issues even with newer AGESA. YMMV of course.

My 3600 is a lot more tolerant in that department then my older 1700.

TWGF1572

Nov 30, 2012
Just a follow-up to my posting. The memory works, and the XMP 3000 setting was visible in the BIOS and seems to be working fine. Just got it put together yesterday. Now to start watching for some 3600 memory.

What was NOT easy was updating the BIOS to accept the 5600. It's as painful as reported. I think it took 8-9 flashes before I had one take. Ugh.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS