Old gpu and new gpu having similar "vibrations" above certain fans speed

darnokos

Nov 11, 2013
First of hello as this is my first post and thread :)

Now to the problem:

At beginning of the year I cleaned my palit gtx 260 sonic, took of the plastic case with fans and cleaned everything from dust. After that my card started to make this vibrating buzzing sound above 30% fans speed and it sounded like this http://www.fileswap.com/dl/3vQiNbxjuY/ sound was going away after I stopped one of the fans which was the one closer to power connectors. I took the card apart and assembled it again twice but that didnt help so I thought that this must be sign of that fan failing or I damaged something while cleaning it.

Few days ago I bought MSI gtx 650ti boost twin frozr and to my suprise new card also makes strangely similar sound when fans are above 50%. You can hear what 650ti sounds like in here http://www.fileswap.com/dl/nhx60oAui0/ and it also dissapears after I stop the same fan as in gtx 260.

This time I did more things trying to elminate this without success and what I did was:
1. Stopped all fans in the pc so gpu fans were the only ones spinning.

2. Took card out and put it back making sure its sitting well in the slot also tried to screwing it with 1, 2 and no screws.

3. I tried running pc with case lying on left and right side, also tried with case being in the air so it wouldnt touch the ground.

4. Took out my mobo to make sure nothing is under it between mobo and case and screwed it back again making sure everything is tight.

5. Tried to put delicate pressure with my finger on different spots of the card.

6. Tried running pc with psu and hard drive outside the case to elminate them as possible cause of vibrations.

Computer with both gtx 260 and now 650ti is totally stable, nothing is overheating, no crashes or instablity. I really dont know what to think of it now, next week I will be trying to find a pc that I could test both cards in but it wont be easy as everyone I could think of have old computers with unsuficient psus etc. What else could it be, there is also a chance that gtx 260 fan was faulty and I was really unlucky and got 650ti with similar defect ?

Sorry for long post but I tried to be precise in describing the problem. Any advice and help would be really apriciated.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
What case are you using and how old is it? Several years ago I had a case that I has used forever, from a K6-2 400 to a Athlon 3700, that had a solder joint on the motherboard tray go. The weight of everything in the case kept it from being noticeable until the system was under load.

darnokos

Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for replying.

The case is Gigabyte gz-x1 and its as old as rest of my pc(except new gpu of course) that was bought at the end of 2010. My biggest suspects in this case is my mobo and the case itself, lately(months later after gtx 260 started to sound weird) some kind of small vibrations to case came from my hdd, applying pressure on certain spots of case front elminates it.

As english is not my first language I have to ask by solder joint on motherboard tray you mean the metal part that the mobo is screwed into ? and solder joints keep that that motherboard tray connected to whole case construction ?

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
As english is not my first language I have to ask by solder joint on motherboard tray you mean the metal part that the mobo is screwed into ? and solder joints keep that that motherboard tray connected to whole case construction ?

That is it exactly. Were two separate pieces of metal in the care have been joined.

darnokos

Nov 11, 2013
Definately is one of possibilites then, one thing is certain that my case isnt as stable and vibration free now as it was the day I bought it. Maybe during all those time I moved it, put it on the side etc something somewhere got dented and overall stability is now causing this with any gpu in the slot. I really need to find a PC that I can test both gpus in cause that could possibly give me some more info, if gpus dont make those sounds in other case then it must be my mobo/case but if they will make it still then maybe I was so unlucky that I got faulty 650ti ?