Old games with max IQ on HD5800 card

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Heh, I like these guys. They think like I do, and great minds think alike. :p

I?m actually tinkering around with SSAA right now, and so far I like what I see. Even 2xSSAA offers a significant reduction in texture & shader aliasing without significant blurring and it?s also very fast, especially compared to 8xS.

Doom 3 looks very nice at 2560x1600 with 2xSS, and it runs well even on a 5770 at that setting.

I have some interesting write-ups coming up about the 5770.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I was wondering what the "SG" in SGSSAA stood for. Now that I know I still think I'll refer to it as "Super Good Super Sampling AA"

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: DarkZeratul
I don´t even know what SSAA stands for, but it's great news for dudes like me, yearning for play games 3 or 4 years old...

It's super sampling anti aliasing. It renders internally at a higher res, so jaggies, textures, and everything get anti aliasing and look nicer. It's much nicer than normal anti aliasing, and significantly reduces texture shimmering. The benefits are a lot more obvious in motion, it's basically how the 'pre-rendered quality' look is achieved.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: DarkZeratul
Does anybody knows if KOTOR or Half-Life2 has any kind of problem running with the HD57XX, with or wihthout SSAA, uh?

Why would they?

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I haven't tried HL2 but L4D runs fine with SSAA. I can run 4x SSAA on my 5850 with performance just as high as 4x MSAA on my 4850 (currently using a 1680x1050 monitor).

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Good news for me, since I have a library of old stuff that goes a long way back.

The screenshots make me want to play Max Payne again... Serious Sam, not so much. :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fox5

It's super sampling anti aliasing. It renders internally at a higher res, so jaggies, textures, and everything get anti aliasing and look nicer.
FYI ? ATi?s method doesn?t render the image bigger, it renders the same scene multiple times with an offset, then combines the results.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K

It's super sampling anti aliasing. It renders internally at a higher res, so jaggies, textures, and everything get anti aliasing and look nicer.
FYI ? ATi?s method doesn?t render the image bigger, it renders the same scene multiple times with an offset, then combines the results.
Really? That's an odd way to go about it, considering their 58xx series is supposed to be great at rendering large images (Eyefinity). Thanks, I didn't know that. :thumbsup:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Originally posted by: MrK6

Really? That's an odd way to go about it, considering their 58xx series is supposed to be great at rendering large images (Eyefinity). Thanks, I didn't know that. :thumbsup:

The method may be similar in respect to 3dfx's VSA-100 or the Voodoo5's super-sampled years and years ago - which offered amazing quality for its time.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Heh, I like these guys. They think like I do, and great minds think alike. :p

I?m actually tinkering around with SSAA right now, and so far I like what I see. Even 2xSSAA offers a significant reduction in texture & shader aliasing without significant blurring and it?s also very fast, especially compared to 8xS.

Doom 3 looks very nice at 2560x1600 with 2xSS, and it runs well even on a 5770 at that setting.

I have some interesting write-ups coming up about the 5770.

Hehe, When I played Doom3 the first time -- it was like WTF? Look at all the specular aliasing and virtually no one talked about when benching the title.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
I can't find a single jaggie at all. Complete smooth lines. MSAA still has some jags regardless if it's 16xAA.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/multisamp/

Here's an explanation from way back in the 3dfx days.
I also recall that ordered grid could cause artifacts back in the day. Not just additional blurring, but also things didn't always scale correctly.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
There is a name haven't seen in awhile - Dave Barron -- the author of that piece for FiringSquad.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MrK6

Really? That's an odd way to go about it, considering their 58xx series is supposed to be great at rendering large images (Eyefinity).
Not really, because it?s the only real way to get rotated or sparse grids with super-sampling. If you render the image bigger then you almost always end up with an ordered grid.

Originally posted by: SirPauly

The method may be similar in respect to 3dfx's VSA-100 or the Voodoo5's super-sampled years and years ago - which offered amazing quality for its time.
Yes, they?re basically doing what 3dfx did, but it?s slightly different. 3dfx shifted the geometry in each image while ATi shifts the sample position slightly in each image. And yes, these patterns are very effective at reducing texture and shader aliasing compared to ordered grid, and they?re much more cost-effective relative to the quality they provide.

I also recall that ordered grid could cause artifacts back in the day. Not just additional blurring, but also things didn't always scale correctly.
That might?ve been driver bugs because it isn?t the norm. I use ordered grid now in many games on my nVidia card and there are no such problems.

There isn?t additional blurring (except for non-rendered objects such as the HUD) as ordered grid stacks with AF and automatically improves the LOD. Rotated grid can also sharpen textures but the LOD has to be controlled correctly. ATI?s Super-AA did things right automatically, but the 5xxx needs manual LOD adjustments at higher levels.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Come on BFG, I can't write an indepth article myself, so I want to read yours :)

Btw BFG, you know where to find me, in case you've got any questions, hopefully I can get them answered.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln

Hurry up already BFG; I like reading ABT's articles.

Originally posted by: MarcVenice

Come on BFG, I can't write an indepth article myself, so I want to read yours :)
Heh, you guys are regular slave drivers. ;)

Part one is basically done, I'm just polishing the draft right now.

Btw BFG, you know where to find me, in case you've got any questions, hopefully I can get them answered.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The SSAA screenshots @pcgameshardware don't look blurry at all. (?)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: cusideabelincoln

Hurry up already BFG; I like reading ABT's articles.

Heh, you guys are regular slave drivers. ;)

Part one is basically done, I'm just polishing the draft right now.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

hurry up!! maybe this will help:

:beer: :beer: :beer: