Question Old games, mounting CD images, CD audio, that sort of thing

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have some old computer games, for example Tomb Raider 2 (1997). The original CD still works, but it's reasonable to assume that it's not going to last forever.

I had the great idea of creating an ISO of the CD (which is required to play the game), then in theory I could double-click on the ISO file and mount the disc image virtually (like how MS Office installs these days), however because the CD has CD audio tracks, these don't get included in a standard ISO (which Windows can read/mount). I then fired up IsoBuster and had it create a full ISO of the disc (raw data), but Windows doesn't want to mount that file (the file definitely isn't corrupt, just that Windows ideally should read the cue file that got created alongside the ISO).

I don't much like no-CD hacks partly because of the possibility of malware and partly because it would have to include some solution for getting the CD audio as well (and from what I've read, the no-CD hacks for TR2 don't include CD audio).

For now I've ended up writing a CD using the iso/cue file in Linux (k3b) which appears to have worked. Not ideal because the game would flow better sometimes if it didn't have to stop while a CD track change occurs, but I guess it's better than nothing. I've heard of other bits of software which will mount an ISO as a virtual CD drive but I don't know if those suffer from the same problem that Windows does.

Any other ideas? One other option includes paying a fiver for it on Steam and the reviews are decent for it but there's a few in there that seem a bit odd and I would prefer to have found a review that explicitly states that the CD audio made it to the Steam version.

Jul 27, 2020

It's adware but it's supposed to be the best tool to make perfect CD images that work even if using some copyprotection scheme (AFAIR).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I thought win 10 can mount image?

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Since it's an Win9x game you can use PCem to emulate it from the original CD/iso, it mounts cue and it will have the cd music.
It needs very high single thread performance to run well though, unless you are ok with the same FPS we had back in those days...

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try this

Although your CD might be copy protected and I have no idea if t clone drive can deal with that

I agree with ballonshark, it might be just easier to get it from steam when it goes on sale. or when epic gives it away.

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Have you tried it? What minimum CPU would you recommend for it?
Anything modern will work fine for basic usage and old games.
I guess I just hyperboled a bit but if you go for very high resolutions or more modern games you will probably hit a wall at some point.

Jul 27, 2020
Tomb Raider II for PS1 pre-owned for $5 on eBay which you can then run through ePSXe with maximum graphics post processing and it will still run at 60+ FPS.

There's a Tomb Raider 2: The Dagger of Xian Remake demo created in UE4 that has a size of 1832MB. Could be worth enjoying (not gonna post link since not sure about its legal status.

TR 1+2+3 is on GoG.com for $9.99

Using this may solve the music issues: https://raidingtheglobe.com/downloa...n-mask/51-tomb-raider-2-golden-mask-steam-gog

Umerc2100

Sep 10, 2023
Can you remember or who have got play at Urban Mercenary until 2001 2005 and a mysterious all white map compare on bootcamp2, with objective of the mission reduce from 7 more to frag at 4 more to frag, with enemies shoot at you but actually no? That mysterious map introvable on bootcamp2 haven't got compare again from 2005 unfortunately, and the game remember was offline, why?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
There's a Tomb Raider 2: The Dagger of Xian Remake demo created in UE4 that has a size of 1832MB. Could be worth enjoying (not gonna post link since not sure about its legal status.

TR 1+2+3 is on GoG.com for $9.99

Using this may solve the music issues: https://raidingtheglobe.com/downloa...n-mask/51-tomb-raider-2-golden-mask-steam-gog
The reviews are extremely variable. Even if I order them by 'most helpful' one 5-star review states that they haven't actually bought the GOG version of the game. Quite a few others read like they haven't tried the GOG version yet, they apparently just decided to review TR from memory. One 5-star review says there's no music :D Lots of reviews say the GOG version is buggy. Others recommend the Steam port. Steam reviews say its port is broken too and needs patching.

---

What I've ended up doing for TR2:
1 - It works on Linux via Wine.
2 - It works on Win10 by using a project called TR2Main: https://github.com/Arsunt/TR2Main/releases which looks like a rework of the game loading system.
3 - Nero can take an image of the entire CD (data + music tracks) which I've backed up, and I play from a copy of the CD.

TR4 works on Win10 with dgvoodoo: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
It doesn't work 100% properly on Linux via Wine.

Apparently Aspyr is doing "TR1-3 Remastered". I wonder if it will be any good.
- edit - Actually Aspyr & Crystal Dynamics are doing it, which I guess is code for "it's going to suck" and "we couldn't do the things Core Design could do with Lara's acrobatics so we turned them into interactive cut scenes".

Last edited:

Umerc2100

Sep 10, 2023
The reviews are extremely variable. Even if I order them by 'most helpful' one 5-star review states that they haven't actually bought the GOG version of the game. Quite a few others read like they haven't tried the GOG version yet, they apparently just decided to review TR from memory. One 5-star review says there's no music :D Lots of reviews say the GOG version is buggy. Others recommend the Steam port. Steam reviews say its port is broken too and needs patching.

---

What I've ended up doing for TR2:
1 - It works on Linux via Wine.
2 - It works on Win10 by using a project called TR2Main: https://github.com/Arsunt/TR2Main/releases which looks like a rework of the game loading system.
3 - Nero can take an image of the entire CD (data + music tracks) which I've backed up, and I play from a copy of the CD.

TR4 works on Win10 with dgvoodoo: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
It doesn't work 100% properly on Linux via Wine.

Apparently Aspyr is doing "TR1-3 Remastered". I wonder if it will be any good.
- edit - Actually Aspyr & Crystal Dynamics are doing it, which I guess is code for "it's going to suck" and "we couldn't do the things Core Design could do with Lara's acrobatics so we turned them into interactive cut scenes".
Please have you got an idea about Urban Mercenary all white map who have comparse until 2001 2005 on bootcamp2 on bootcamp section? I don't know if it can is a glitch or something like this, because the maps can't edit the objective and the character of player and enemies, on easy way, so you must edit the progs.dat and umerc.exe, so it's real impossible who was a map refreshed from some servers on 2005, the bad news is who I don't have again play at this map, this was after my CD install urbanmercenary.exe, please help me guys! 🙏🏻

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Lots of reviews say the GOG version is buggy. Others recommend the Steam port. Steam reviews say its port is broken too and needs patching.
You don't need CD mounting or for any of the purchased games to work, you just need their data files. There are sourceports for all 5 classic games that work fine on Win10.

Jul 27, 2020
* Many abandoned and unused features from originals were enabled in OpenTomb. New animations, unused items, hidden PSX-specific structures inside level files, and so on! Also, original functionality is being drastically extended, while preserving original gameplay pipeline.
Sounds intriguing.