Old(er) PS still good for new system?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by malbojah, Nov 20, 2012.

1. malbojah

malbojah Golden Member

2. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

You'll be fine. 600W will drive any single modern GPU system easily (including all the top boards short of the multi-die cards, 7990/690/etc). It might even do dual cards but you're stretching it on that.

3. TemjinGold

TemjinGold Platinum Member

What do you actually plan on having in your computer? This unit will "work" but it's not a great PSU and depending on how old it is, could be a ticking time bomb. It really comes down to how much you value piece of mind. But to answer your question, it should work.

4. Sheep221

Sheep221 Golden Member

I think you should be fine with this one

5. malbojah

malbojah Golden Member

Low to mid gaming system. One SSD, with a regular drive if needed. Single video card. DVD/ BD drive (maybe). Still have to decide on a video card. My ATI 4830 was old when I got it 4 years ago

#5 malbojah, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Power-wise you'll be fine. Like Temjin said, the age and wear may play a role; if it's been running hot for the last few years it could affect the future usability of it. However I don't think you were taxing it with a 4830 so it should be good for another few years. I would treat it as suspect if anything goes wrong in your system in the future but it's not a priority to change it out.

7. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Dude, it's a Raidmax, get rid of it. Anything -max is crap. CoolMax, RaidMax, PowMax. All crap.

Edit: Well, except for Enermax. They're good.