Old 98 Windows desktop computer keeps freezing up. Should I throw it in the trash?

Osteole

Nov 11, 2005
I'm not sure what to do with this system. I can't keep it stable, it freezes with the most simplest of tasks. Will updating memory help this freezing problem? here are the system specs

Operating System System Model Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)

Processor a Main Circuit Board b 850 megahertz AMD Athlon Board: Asus K7M 1.04
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 1.04 03/27/00 Drives Memory Modules c,d 39.98 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
36.71 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MITSUMI CR-4804TE [CD-ROM drive]
PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-115 [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (39.98 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART <http://www.belarc.com/smart.html> Driver 256 Megabytes Installed Memory Local Drive Volumes
c: (FAT32 on drive 0)39.98 GB36.71 GB freeNetwork Drives None detected Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

QuickLink IIIon FAX:Controllers Display Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA Vanta (HP - English) [Display adapter]
NEC FE700 [Monitor] (16.1"vis, s/n 0502869YA, May 2000) Bus Adapters Multimedia VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller (2x) Creative Gameport Joystick
Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128
Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128 Legacy Device Communications Other Devices Lucent V90+DSL Modem

HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

pukemon

Jun 16, 2000
Do one of the following:
- Clean install Win98
- Install Windows XP
- Blow away hard drive and install Linux distribution of your choice
- Give computer to someone who knows what to do with it
- Donate computer to non-profit group/charity/church/school

Osteole

Nov 11, 2005
I wonder if that computer came with windows disks? I'd have to dig in some boxes to find it.

Can I install xp on an old system like that?

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
XP would work. As would 2000 Pro. You could also sell it in the For Sale forum and make something off of it.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I ran xp pro on a PII 333, with enough ram, 512 MB, it should be okay for general, light use.

Lasthitlarry

Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: pukemon
Do one of the following:
- Clean install Win98
- Install Windows XP
- Blow away hard drive and install Linux distribution of your choice
- Give computer to someone who knows what to do with it
- Donate computer to non-profit group/charity/church/school

256MB of RAM is good enough for Win98, I wouldn't recommend WinXP. Also, open up case, clean up any dust, move wires around for best air flow, see if anything feels too hot, and make sure the hard drive is in a good place in terms of air flow. If the hard drive is making really loud noises(grinding), then you should think about replacing it, I am sure someone in FS/T forums will have a free/cheap 10/20/40 GB HD.

Download some programs like Memtest if you are unsure about the RAM, speedfan to check cpu temperatures and such.
I would de frag the hard drive, close all apps you don't use on start up, double check virus and spyware scans.
If all else fails, could be video card that is freezing up, in which case you could find a cheap replacement in the FS/T forums here on AT.

I believe you would be fine with a fresh install of Win98. I have an old P3 500, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB runnin on Win98, and does what I want fine.