Olbermann says Bush owes troops an apology.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I love how some of the bush fanbois still cling to this notion that there were also Democrats that voted to invade Iraq. Your revisionist history is laughable. NO ONE authorized Bush to invade Iraq as you keep trying to convince us; congress authorized giving the president the use of force as an option. You do understand what options are, right? That was the mistake both the GOP and the Dems made, thinking that Bush and Company could be trusted with such a responsibility. But hindsight is 20/20 I guess..

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7
"This president must apologize to the troops for having suggested, six weeks ago, that the chaos in Iraq, the death and the carnage, the slaughtered Iraqi civilians and the dead American service personnel, will, to history, 'look like just a comma.'"

This is a most excellent point, one that's just kind of gone quietly by.

Dear Troops,
Thank you for your sacrifices, you're the best comma we've ever known.

Ouch.

Sep 14, 2005
The troops have been betrayed by the GOP. Nothing illustrates this better than this:

As I said in my piece today 'Vets Group Proves GOP Does Not Support Troops,' careful scrutiny by the Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) shows that by a ludicrous margin, it is Senate Democrats, not Republicans, who truly support active troops, Veterans and military families.

Here's the full Senate rankings, with the letter grade assigned by IAVA:

http://bobgeiger.blogspot.com/2006/10/i...upport-troops-rankings-for-senate.html

Who really supports the troops, the democrats.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Aisengard
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/10/31/175122/71

That's a pretty good letter by the brother of a fallen soldier in Afghanistan. He said the only two politicians outside his home state to contact him was...you guessed it, John Kerry. Yeah, he really hates the military, huh. What an f'ing joke the GOP and their ardent supporters are.

ok lets me real blunt about this.....if Kerry runs in 2008 the republicans have nothing to fear!! Thats the true bottom line. You can gloss this over with who contacted who and what etc etc.....those facts aside KERRY is a huge liability to the Democrats as well as the Republican`s BEST friend!@!

Sep 14, 2005
Originally posted by: umbrella39
I love how some of the bush fanbois still cling to this notion that there were also Democrats that voted to invade Iraq. Your revisionist history is laughable. NO ONE authorized Bush to invade Iraq as you keep trying to convince us; congress authorized giving the president the use of force as an option. You do understand what options are, right? That was the mistake both the GOP and the Dems made, thinking that Bush and Company could be trusted with such a responsibility. But hindsight is 20/20 I guess..

Sadly, no one will ever make an authorization like that again thanks to the power being abused by Bush. Way to go sparky.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
All of you posting these tales of how Kerry supported so and so after their brother died are looking at isolated incidents.

Let me ask you this.
Given the choice between having Bush or Kerry come and speak to them who would the soldiers pick?

I admire Kerry for attend the funeral of this guys brother, I just wish the story included a few more details. For all we know it could be made up.

Bush does not go to funerals because if he picks one over another it would become a political event and discussion. Read Giuliani?s book, especially the section about how they made sure that there was a high ranking government official at EVERY single funeral for a fireman, policeman etc that died on 9-11. If they can attend that many funerals in a short time span surely the Bush admin can work out a plan to see some high ranking member to every funeral of a US soldier.

BTW: I think after every Olbermann thread we should be able to post a Rush, Hannity or O'Reilly thread in order to provide some balance to this talking head of the far left.

Couldn`t have said it better!!!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PrevaricatorJohn
Let me ask you this.
Given the choice between having Bush or Kerry come and speak to them who would the soldiers pick?
At this point, my money would be on Kerry. Even after his verbal gaffs, nothing he's said has cost the lives of nearly 3,000 American troops with tens of thousands more wounded, and he didn't send them off to that horrible place on a mission based entirely on LIES!.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
All of you posting these tales of how Kerry supported so and so after their brother died are looking at isolated incidents.

Let me ask you this.

I admire Kerry for attend the funeral of this guys brother, I just wish the story included a few more details. For all we know it could be made up.

Bush does not go to funerals because if he picks one over another it would become a political event and discussion. Read Giuliani?s book, especially the section about how they made sure that there was a high ranking government official at EVERY single funeral for a fireman, policeman etc that died on 9-11. If they can attend that many funerals in a short time span surely the Bush admin can work out a plan to see some high ranking member to every funeral of a US soldier.

BTW: I think after every Olbermann thread we should be able to post a Rush, Hannity or O'Reilly thread in order to provide some balance to this talking head of the far left.

NM. It's too easy.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Let me ask you this.

So what exactly do you disagree with Olbermann's article? Don't be shy.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/10/31/175122/71

That's a pretty good letter by the brother of a fallen soldier in Afghanistan. He said the only two politicians outside his home state to contact him was...you guessed it, John Kerry. Yeah, he really hates the military, huh. What an f'ing joke the GOP and their ardent supporters are.

ok lets me real blunt about this.....if Kerry runs in 2008 the republicans have nothing to fear!! Thats the true bottom line. You can gloss this over with who contacted who and what etc etc.....those facts aside KERRY is a huge liability to the Democrats as well as the Republican`s BEST friend!@!

No one's saying he's a fearful opponent. I never even said anything about him and his political future.

It's just if you have any shred of intellectual honesty you'd agree that Kerry is not a troop hater by any stretch of the imagination. He loves the military and hates what Bush and the rest of the GOP have done to it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Olbermann has become the King of the hate Bush crowd. He is not even worth listening to anymore. If the Republicans can hold on to both houses next week it might be worth watching his show just to see if steam comes out of his ears.

Question for you... did Clinton ever apologize to the soldiers for the Somalia mess? How about Carter, did he apologize to the soldiers who died in the failed attempt to rescue the Iran hostages?

Has ANY President ever apologized to the troops?

Kerry owed the troops an apology, because whether it was a mistake or not, it still sounded like an insult to the troops. And that is how the troops and many others in America took it. Combine that with the fact that the Democratic Party seem to truly believe that the military is made up of a bunch of stupid people who can't get jobs any place else and you understand why millions of Americans are upset.

Bush has NEVER said anything negative about the troops, even during the worst scandals he defended them. While Kerry was accusing American solders of terrorizing women and children Bush was out praising them for the incredible job they do.

We should be proud of the men and women out there risking their lives in Iraq. And not making jokes about them, or anyone else, being ?stuck? in Iraq. Even if Kerry really meant the President when he made that ?joke? the idea that we are stuck in Iraq still makes the troops look like they doing a worthless task that is only worthy of punch lines.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
It's just if you have any shred of intellectual honesty you'd agree that Kerry is not a troop hater by any stretch of the imagination. He loves the military and hates what Bush and the rest of the GOP have done to it.
Loves the military? What a bunch of BS. Kerry may support the troops, especially after they have left the military and through support for Veterans affairs. But saying his loves the military is a bunch of total BS.

Someone who loves the military does not go around accusing its members of terrorizing women and children, like he has for Iraq. Or make blanket statements about them committing rape, and burning villages and tons of other awful things, like he did for Vietnam.

In the world of John Kerry members of the military are one of two things. They are either stupid victims sucked into the military through lies and lack of education. Or they are perpetrators of crimes. Victims, or victimizers, that is how Kerry sees our military.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Personally I think Kerry DOES owe the troops an apology. While I don't think the insult was aimed at the troops, it was a very poor choice of words on his part and I think he needs to make it clear that that isn't how he views the troops...the "rebuttal" on his website was mostly an attack at Bush that didn't really address the offense a lot of people have taken at the comment.

But while we're apologizing to the troops, I think Bush needs to get in line as well. And every pro-war person like him who says they "Support the Troops" with nice, cheap words or a nice cheap bumper sticker, when they REALLY mean they "support the war" and they simply don't have the stones to say what they honestly think. Whatever you might think about the politics of the situation, I think it's wrong (for both sides) to drag the troops into it. In this country, soldiers are given a pretty deep level of respect by most people...and politicians and the politically minded seem to delight in trying to abuse that respect for their own personal gain. Personally some of the only people in the whole mess I find admirable are groups that, while anti-war, are nevertheless able to put aside their politics and do something to ACTUALLY support the troops. A group in Texas (IIRC) of all places that's composed of folks who aren't real fond of the war in Iraq or President Bush manages to get their asses out of their Lay-z-boys and go to the airport to greet troops rotating home. THAT is supporting the troops, not slapping a sticker on your Excursion because you're too much of a pansy to put a "Support the War" sticker up.

Not that pro-war folks can't support the troops too, obviously they can, but I think a lot of people on EVERY side "support the troops" only to the extent it helps support their political agenda. And they owe the troops far more of an apology than some politician who opened his mouth without first engaging his brain.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Just to think, if John Kerry would have just gotten into the Guard and skipped his service He'd be such a hero today...

Someone who loves the military does not go around accusing its members of terrorizing women and children, like he has for Iraq. Or make blanket statements about them committing rape, and burning villages and tons of other awful things, like he did for Vietnam.

I hear the holocaust didn't happen as well...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Just to think, if John Kerry would have just gotten into the Guard and skipped his service He'd be such a hero today...

I hear the holocaust didn't happen as well...

hehe, too true

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Reminds me of a interview I recently saw on the local news about a family who lost a son in Iraq---and included in the widowed wife also. They collectively somewhat blamed Bush.
But the telling part was a quick interview with the younger brother of the fallen soldier---who pointed out he had lost a role model. And how hard this was to take in.

And that is the part that struck me----both GWB and this young boy use the word hard---really hard.--and you would really have to hear the interview.

But when GWB says its hard---really hard to make these decisions----its in almost an upbeat tone of voice---its totally different than the tone of voice the younger brother uses
when he says its really hard to understand---with hard being inflected in almost a crying tone of voice---and deep with hurt.

Somehow I suspect the younger brother has a little more understanding about what the meaning of hard is.

What--is this--post written in--english? I--ask because it seems as--if the gratuitous and inappropriate usage--of double hyphenation makes--random thought about unrelated split infinitive--a post totally incoherent.

Wait, this post actually makes sense. I guess my knowledge of composing incoherent post needs refinement. Help me Lemon?

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: TravisT
If Bush needs to apologize for sending us into Iraq than Clinton and Kerry both need to apologize as well when they made various comments about how Iraq was a threat and that we needed to do something about it. We simply can't forget about the classic Kerry flip-flops on him waivering on his stance about dealing with Iraq.

How can we foget that apologizingforbushoftenmeasspaeakinguntilonecanntowspweekanonllytypiestijrunons
ntencestherebyshowinghiscompletelackofunderstandingaboutthewholesttuation.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Good job homercles, you get the title of troll. Criticizing the way people express their thoughts while contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003

In the world of John Kerry members of the military are one of two things. They are either stupid victims sucked into the military through lies and lack of education. Or they are perpetrators of crimes. Victims, or victimizers, that is how Kerry sees our military.
Pertaining to the first paragraph, how Republican of you: only tell the truth if it makes not only you, but also all of your colleagues/cronies look good. Never tell the truth, if it doesn't.

Pertaining to the second paragraph, I haven't seen this interview. Got a link, or were you just making things up, as usual??

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: myocardia

Pertaining to the first paragraph, how Republican of you: only tell the truth if it makes not only you, but also all of your colleagues/cronies look good. Never tell the truth, if it doesn't.

Pertaining to the second paragraph, I haven't seen this interview. Got a link, or were you just making things up, as usual??
There is no interview. It was actually an idea expressed by someone on TV I beleive. But it fits. When Kerry describes the military he either calles them stupid, or accuses them of doing awful things.

Check out this case where he does BOTH!! link
"I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown," Kerry wrote. "We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply 'doing its job.'
What a stand up guy, he just loves the military huh?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There is no interview. It was actually an idea expressed by someone on TV I beleive. But it fits. When Kerry describes the military he either calles them stupid, or accuses them of doing awful things.

What part of *saying what the military people SAID they did* don't you understand?

Saying that he is 'accusing them' when he's quoting them is like me saying you accuse the military of doing terrible things because you used the phrase in your post.

And he has never called the military stupid - that is a lie. His botched joke is not him making that statement any more than when Bush said his administration was looking for ways to harm the US, he was 'saying that' - it was a misspoken statement, however true.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Whats REALLY sad about al this is all these right wingers crying fowl in reality could care less about what Kerry said or tried to say. They could care less. They "act" like they are Sooooo offended, soooo outraged. How pathetic...

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: TravisT
If Bush needs to apologize for sending us into Iraq than Clinton and Kerry both need to apologize as well when they made various comments about how Iraq was a threat and that we needed to do something about it. We simply can't forget about the classic Kerry flip-flops on him waivering on his stance about dealing with Iraq.

Clinton nor Kerry violated the UN Charter by ordering the invasion of Iraq...

When troops are no longer troops they are Veterans... Remember that.. and this Nation is full of Veterans. Some of these Veterans carry the scar of battles the troops have yet to incur, and hopefully won't...
The Current crop of troops are no more lofty than those who served before and being one of them I find the actions of Bush and co. to be not only immoral but illegal and the comments by Kerry to be accurate especially when it is Bush who's absence from serving makes him a non veteran... HIS war is Iraq.. and instead of serving in it he created it.. and by doing so created unnecessary death and injury to our (the US) people and the Iraqi.

Flip Flop... Bush Flipped from reason to reason in order to get into Iraq... don't forget these Flips.. and Flops..

Above all... remember Kerry Served.. is a Veteran... was in harm's way, injured and survived to label Bush and Co. exactly what they are... Arm Chair Pirates embarked on the Beagle in search of evolution.... and finding non they create it.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Olbermann has become the King of the hate Bush crowd. He is not even worth listening to anymore. If the Republicans can hold on to both houses next week it might be worth watching his show just to see if steam comes out of his ears.

Question for you... did Clinton ever apologize to the soldiers for the Somalia mess? How about Carter, did he apologize to the soldiers who died in the failed attempt to rescue the Iran hostages?

Has ANY President ever apologized to the troops?

Kerry owed the troops an apology, because whether it was a mistake or not, it still sounded like an insult to the troops. And that is how the troops and many others in America took it. Combine that with the fact that the Democratic Party seem to truly believe that the military is made up of a bunch of stupid people who can't get jobs any place else and you understand why millions of Americans are upset.

Bush has NEVER said anything negative about the troops, even during the worst scandals he defended them. While Kerry was accusing American solders of terrorizing women and children Bush was out praising them for the incredible job they do.

We should be proud of the men and women out there risking their lives in Iraq. And not making jokes about them, or anyone else, being ?stuck? in Iraq. Even if Kerry really meant the President when he made that ?joke? the idea that we are stuck in Iraq still makes the troops look like they doing a worthless task that is only worthy of punch lines.
Stick to the topic and stop changing the subject: What didn't you like about what Olbermann had to say? This is about an administration who has demanded an apology in a horribly weak spin of the truth to hide the fact that they are ones who owe us an apology. You can trash talk Olbermann all you want, but until you specifically disprove him, that's all it will be: baseless trash talking.