Olbermann and Matthews benched by NBC

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
not quoting the whole article, but it's a welcome change IMO:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09...ess/media/08msnbc.html

MSNBC tried a bold experiment this year by putting two politically incendiary hosts, Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews, in the anchor chair to lead the cable news channel?s coverage of the election.

That experiment appears to be over.

After months of accusations of political bias and simmering animosity between MSNBC and its parent network NBC, the channel decided over the weekend that the NBC News correspondent and MSNBC host David Gregory would anchor news coverage of the coming debates and election night. Mr. Olbermann and Mr. Matthews will remain as analysts during the coverage.

The change ? which comes in the home stretch of the long election cycle ? is a direct result of tensions associated with the channel?s perceived shift to the political left.

?The most disappointing shift is to see the partisan attitude move from prime time into what?s supposed to be straight news programming,? said Davidson Goldin, formerly the editorial director of MSNBC and a co-founder of the reputation management firm DolceGoldin.

...coverage frequently descended into on-air squabbles between the anchors, embarrassing some workers at NBC?s news division, and quite possibly alienating viewers. Although MSNBC nearly doubled its total audience compared with the 2004 conventions, its competitive position did not improve, as it remained in last place among the broadcast and cable news networks.

the trainwreck was fun to read about, but I guess it's the final nail in both of their coffins if they were hoping to take over MTP.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Anything that reduces the bias (or even the perception of bias) in network political coverage is welcome, indeed.

FWIW, I doubt either of these gentlemen had much of a chance to fill the vacant Russert seat. He will be difficult to replace.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I am not sure NBC has anyone who can replace Russert at this point.

Brian Williams perhaps, but that would be about it.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
IMO, they both suck, but they're both 100x more honest than the average 'news' (read entertainment) cable channels..

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: brxndxn
IMO, they both suck, but they're both 100x more honest than the average 'news' (read entertainment) cable channels..

Kieth Olbermann, lol.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Anything that reduces the bias (or even the perception of bias) in network political coverage is welcome, indeed.

FWIW, I doubt either of these gentlemen had much of a chance to fill the vacant Russert seat. He will be difficult to replace.

There was an interesting, detailed article on Matthews a few months back that painted him as jealous of Russert and after his job, but NBC would never consider putting him in that spot. I agree with the other posters that Russert is difficult to replace with their current talent at this point. Gregory himself is a somewhat predatory journalist on the edge of being as bad as Olbermann/Matthews, I say that as an admirer of him. But at least he as some self control.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Olbermann should never had been at the helm for covering the RNC.

I thought that Matthews did a good job on the other hand. He may appear biased because he'll call out someone when they're bullshitting, and the RNC was filled with all sorts of bullshit. (pretending Obama's experience entailed community organizer, insulting community organizers, lying that Obama would raise taxes on all people, having a theme that we need to get rid of liberal elites in Washington, when the Republicans have had control most of the time, almost no policy)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
You know... for all the crap that FOX gets they do keep their partisan hosts confined to their own shows.

I don't think you would see O'Reilly or Hannity hosting the coverage of a news event like the RNC or DNC.

MSNBC has lost a lot of credibility recently and it will be very hard to get it back.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
You know... for all the crap that FOX gets they do keep their partisan hosts confined to their own shows.

I don't think you would see O'Reilly or Hannity hosting the coverage of a news event like the RNC or DNC.

MSNBC has lost a lot of credibility recently and it will be very hard to get it back.

Ummm... if by "recently" you mean "years and years ago", then I totally agree with you.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Going left is not going to help MSNBC with ratings. I have seen how various people watch news:

Many right wingers watch Fox News all day, every day. They are literally glued to the channel and won't watch anything else on TV.

Moderates and liberals have a much more diverse viewing habit, i.e. some news and then some TV shows, movies, etc.

It is just a matter of numbers. When liberals are giving ratings to LOGO or Bravo, conservatives are racking up the hours for Fox News.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Maybe Fox will hire him - "Hannity and Olbermann." What a ball buster.

Originally posted by: Legend

I watched MSNBC for a few minutes on one of the RNC nights and he was actually making positive statements. It felt very strange.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Lanyap

I watched MSNBC for a few minutes on one of the RNC nights and he was actually making positive statements. It felt very strange.

It looked like he was trying to be objective, but there were several moments where he made little partisan comments.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

Who in Fox isn't partisan? Roger Aisles is friends with the Bush family, they sent MEMOS to the NON PARTISAN (LOL) anchors to say certain things.

Fox news is a partisan organization from the top down.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Why do pansy ass partisans get whiny when the truth hurts? Since when is the truth "partisan" or "liberal"?

Olbermann has more respectability in his left thumb than all the rest of you people combined.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Yes, I recall your many posts about their high credibility until this experiement - and I note you have expanded your goodwill advice to the media, not just democrats.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Stoneburner

Who in Fox isn't partisan? Roger Aisles is friends with the Bush family, they sent MEMOS to the NON PARTISAN (LOL) anchors to say certain things.

Fox news is a partisan organization from the top down.

One my very rare "+1" posts.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

You really don't understand the role of Colmes, do you.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234

Isn't he supposed to be the token liberal pushover?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
MSNBC has been pretty horrid for a while now.

Coming from you this is a good thing. Think I'll watch more of it.

Ah, isn't that cute, you're feeling a little butthurt from your shellacking in the RNC riot thread.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: QED

Ummm... if by "recently" you mean "years and years ago", then I totally agree with you.

You have to understand one of PJ's propaganda techniques is to make his comments sound 'fair and balanced' by implying he can agree with the other side in part.

In this example, he's free to falsely pretend that he was recognizing a high level of credibiility in MSNBC earlier, because it adds credibility to his attack now.

You, in contrast, by saying you think MSNBC has been leftist for years (wrong), come across as more of a right-wing person whose attack has less credibility.

I think PJ must know some gullible people who fall for his schtick, and make him think it'll fool people here too.

It'd be a little like my posting, "I saw much to admire in President Bush's foreign policy until his latest policy, but this one has shown he's evil."

It's nothing more than the increased credibility given to purportedly 'friendly' sources, as in 'even McCain/Obama's own (blank) criticizes his...'

Of course, instead of trying for that misleading and cheap technique, I say up front I face a larger challenge, since I'm so critical of him broadly, and need to back that up.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: Craig234

Isn't he supposed to be the token liberal pushover?

Exactly. His role is to silence that nagging hint in Fox viewers that makes them wonder 'isn't it possible the liberals might have a point I'm not hearing here?'

They're supposed ot see Colmes and be convinced that it's clear the liberals don't have any good points, so no need to listen to those other channels and find out.

He should just wear a shirt saying 'straw man', and perhaps some actual straw in his suit.