Olbermann and Matthews benched by NBC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: manowar821
Why do pansy ass partisans get whiny when the truth hurts? Since when is the truth "partisan" or "liberal"?

Olbermann has more respectability in his left thumb than all the rest of you people combined.

:laugh:

Jun 27, 2005
Man... When David Gregory is considered the alternative to the 'radical' there's something seriously wrong with your network.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I watched the RNC on MSNBC, I thought Matthews did a good job and was pretty fair in his remarks. Every time they cut to Olbermann, he would make some kind of snide remark, proudly displaying his bias.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I am not sure NBC has anyone who can replace Russert at this point.

Brian Williams perhaps, but that would be about it.

I think Brian Williams is a nice guy but he is also the guy who said the country threw a temper tantrum when they voted the democrats out of the majorities in congress in 94.

But maybe he has himself grown up a bit since then.

/shrug

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Man... When David Gregory is considered the alternative to the 'radical' there's something seriously wrong with your network.

+1, and I rarely give those out so you should feel extra fuzzy on the inside!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Not that I saw this one coming or already called it. :);

At least Matthews had been moving back to a much more centrist view as of late, perhaps he had heard the grumbling. KO was still working on diving as deep as he could, the entire freaking out about 9/11 images was priceless. It had gotten to the point where even the on the scene reporters were starting to carry on the same way and ask questions as if they held the personal belief of what was being asked instead of an objective reporter.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
MSNBC has been pretty horrid for a while now.

Coming from you this is a good thing. Think I'll watch more of it.

Ah, isn't that cute, you're feeling a little butthurt from your shellacking in the RNC riot thread.

Nope, just making sure people aren't fooled by your fake libertarian garb is all. ;)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yes Mathews and Olberman are baised (Olberman way more) but at least neither of them accused Republicans of giving terrorist signals like Fox News. They were never held accountable.

cpmer

Jan 22, 2005
Originally posted by: manowar821
Why do pansy ass partisans get whiny when the truth hurts? Since when is the truth "partisan" or "liberal"?

Olbermann has more respectability in his left thumb than all the rest of you people combined.

Very true

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: QED
You know... for all the crap that FOX gets they do keep their partisan hosts confined to their own shows.

I don't think you would see O'Reilly or Hannity hosting the coverage of a news event like the RNC or DNC.

MSNBC has lost a lot of credibility recently and it will be very hard to get it back.

Ummm... if by "recently" you mean "years and years ago", then I totally agree with you.

You have to understand one of PJ's propaganda techniques is to make his comments sound 'fair and balanced' by implying he can agree with the other side in part.

In this example, he's free to falsely pretend that he was recognizing a high level of credibiility in MSNBC earlier, because it adds credibility to his attack now.

You, in contrast, by saying you think MSNBC has been leftist for years (wrong), come across as more of a right-wing person whose attack has less credibility.

I think PJ must know some gullible people who fall for his schtick, and make him think it'll fool people here too.

It'd be a little like my posting, "I saw much to admire in President Bush's foreign policy until his latest policy, but this one has shown he's evil."

It's nothing more than the increased credibility given to purportedly 'friendly' sources, as in 'even McCain/Obama's own (blank) criticizes his...'

Of course, instead of trying for that misleading and cheap technique, I say up front I face a larger challenge, since I'm so critical of him broadly, and need to back that up.

You know, you could have just typed "you both are wrong, and I'm right" - it would have spared you the typing and us the reading.

I'll make this simple for you - Your strawman is interesting but not applicable.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
-snip-

Who in Fox isn't partisan? Roger Aisles is friends with the Bush family, they sent MEMOS to the NON PARTISAN (LOL) anchors to say certain things.

Fox news is a partisan organization from the top down.

One my very rare "+1" posts.

Since both of you apparently believe the bolded part is true, could one of you link me up with some proof please. Sounds like you are referring to something other than normal press releases by the WH.

(If you're referring to remarks by the former Press Secretary (I forget his name ATM) I call shens on that statement)

TIA

Fern

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Sacrilege
Going left is not going to help MSNBC with ratings. I have seen how various people watch news:

Many right wingers watch Fox News all day, every day. They are literally glued to the channel and won't watch anything else on TV.

Moderates and liberals have a much more diverse viewing habit, i.e. some news and then some TV shows, movies, etc.

It is just a matter of numbers. When liberals are giving ratings to LOGO or Bravo, conservatives are racking up the hours for Fox News.

lol, you guys crack me up. The only show I've ever watched on Fox cable netork is the Dave Ramsey Show and that's on the Fox Business Network. Stop painting us all with the same brush, it makes you look like a moran.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Haha. I was thinking the same. But I admit even he is far better than Keith O.

While K.O. is the Rush Limbaugh of the left, I still watch MSNBC quite a lot.

If it was up to me, I'd just remove K.O. and put someone else in there along with Chris Matthews, maybe Chuck Todd. I like Chris M, he's one of my favorites.

But I'm pretty sure that Fox has had Hannity anchor a post presidential candidate debate show during the primaries.

But I'd like to point out that everyone I've named above is an OPINION/analyist, I don't see why they are supposed to act unbiased? Anyway, I'd rather see an array of analyists (some from each side) than a supposed non-biased anchor anyway.

I think MSNBC's real problem is their preceived bias against Hillary and/or women (and for Obama), and not against repubs no matter what they may say. From what I've seen around the net, a lot of women are angry at them and engaging in letter writing campaigns to the network and their sponsors. Since Hillary's out, I see a lot of complaints by women about their treatment of Palin.

Fern

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Oh how sweet it was to read the full article. I wonder who else was talking about this ;)

But in the past two weeks, that line has been blurred. On the final night of the Republican convention, after MSNBC televised the party?s video ?tribute to the victims of 9/11,? including graphic footage of the World Trade Center attacks, Mr. Olbermann abruptly took off his journalistic hat.

?I?m sorry, it?s necessary to say this,? he began. After saying that the video had exploited the memories of the dead, he directly apologized to viewers who were offended. Then, sounding like a network executive, he said it was ?probably not appropriate to be shown.?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Oh how sweet it was to read the full article. I wonder who else was talking about this ;)

But in the past two weeks, that line has been blurred. On the final night of the Republican convention, after MSNBC televised the party?s video ?tribute to the victims of 9/11,? including graphic footage of the World Trade Center attacks, Mr. Olbermann abruptly took off his journalistic hat.

?I?m sorry, it?s necessary to say this,? he began. After saying that the video had exploited the memories of the dead, he directly apologized to viewers who were offended. Then, sounding like a network executive, he said it was ?probably not appropriate to be shown.?

Can we get a link to this? I would love to see it and include it in this thread as a "Cherry on top"

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It's included in the full ap article. You can get it from the NYT link at the top or about any news outlet carrying it (I even saw it on yahoo when I checked my mail there recently).