Oktoberfest beers are out!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: broon
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
I am a hop-head to the core, so I try to stray from these specialty beers. I have not tried any of the fall beers, but am looking forward to it. I still prefer my IPAs and other pale ales, and I have had pretty much all of the macro-brew (yes, SA is a macro-brewer, despite the craft-brew taste) specialty brews, so I see no need to retry what I have had.

I'm a hop-head also but I still have to get a few Octoberfests each fall. I had the Sam Adams and It's not terrible, just not a great example of the style. I prefer the Paulaner Octoberfest-Marzen.

The best thing about fall is that it won't be long before the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is out.

Paulaner is awesome. I will be picking up another mini-keg of their Octoberfest for a football party this weekend.

Summitdrinker

Golden Member
May 10, 2004
Originally posted by: pyonir
I gotta find a local pumpkin ale....hmmmmmm

some small micro brews in wisconsin used have pumpkin beer, unsure if they still do

city brewery's oktoberfest beer seemed the closest to german oktoberfest beers sold in america in years past of all of them I have tried

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Summitdrinker
I gotta find a local pumpkin ale....hmmmmmm

some small micro brews in wisconsin used have pumpkin beer, unsure if they still do

yeah, i just gotta keep my eyes open. If you see any while you are out around town, let me know.

Have you toured the Summit Brewery yet?

Summitdrinker

Golden Member
May 10, 2004
amazingly no never have been to the brewery

back in the early to mid 90's I used travel around the mid-west just vist breweries and in WI cheese factories too

cropduster's was one In michigan that never hear about anymore

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Coquito

yeah, i just gotta keep my eyes open. If you see any while you are out around town, let me know.

Never been there, but it's rated one of the best brewpubs around. :)

Bring your growler.

haha...summitdrinker actually has told me about that brewpub...haven't checked it out yet...but plan to at some point. I don't see the pumpkin listed yet...so i'll probably wait until it is, before making the visit.

EDIT: The pumpkin is going to be released on October 22nd. So i'll check it out after that. :p

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: BigJ
:thumbsup::D:beer:

So the real question is, which microbrews have a decent shot at being here in NY and which ones should I get?

Go to the store and look! :p All else fails...get any Oktoberfest beer...including Sam Adams which isn't bad at all.

The Sam Adams Oktoberfest is awful this year. I don't remember it being so bad. Maybe my taste in beers has changed, but the 12 pack I bought was terrible.

Aww man and i really like theirs too.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Picked up some Pumpkin Spice Ale today from my local liquor store. It's made by anheuser busch so it should be widely available (it's called Jack's). It's not as flavorful as other pumpkin ales i've had, but it's okay for now.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Not sure if you've noticed at your local liquor stores/grocery stores, but Oktoberfest beers are all over. Picked myself up a 6er of Schell's and a 12 pack of Summit Oktoberfest. I love this time of year! :D

What do they taste like? Sunset has about 10+ on tap.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Michiganites, I had a great one yesterday from the Atwater Block Brewery called Bloktoberfest a Lager that had a lot of taste.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Not sure if you've noticed at your local liquor stores/grocery stores, but Oktoberfest beers are all over. Picked myself up a 6er of Schell's and a 12 pack of Summit Oktoberfest. I love this time of year! :D

What do they taste like? Sunset has about 10+ on tap.

Similar to an amber ale IMO. Very malty flavor though.