Oklahoma's anti-abortion bill

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
If the law is unconstitutional there is indeed an issue.

Even if it is constitutional, it is still an issue. The government should not be a tool for forcing religious beliefs down other people's throats.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Even if it is constitutional, it is still an issue. The government should not be a tool for forcing religious beliefs down other people's throats.

It's hardly a religious belief that one is a human being prior to birth.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
When, prior to birth, does one become a human being? Who decides this as it relates to law?

I don't know, but it's reasonable to assume that a baby 5 seconds prior to birth is as human at that point as it will be in 6 seconds.

To assume otherwise seems ridiculous.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I don't know, but it's reasonable to assume that a baby 5 seconds prior to birth is as human at that point as it will be in 6 seconds.

Yep. and theres a news story out today about a botched abortion and the fetus, at 22 weeks, lived for two days afterwards. So at minimum its 22 weeks.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003

You should've stopped with "I don't know".

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Yep. and theres a news story out today about a botched abortion and the fetus, at 22 weeks, lived for two days afterwards. So at minimum its 22 weeks.

Many dependent things live for a brief period before dying. That doesn't mean they're fully capable of surviving on their own.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You should've stopped with "I don't know".

Okay, then I'll amend it. I don't know the exact point, but I know it happens 5 seconds prior to birth at the latest, or in extreme cases like blackangsts', 22 weeks.

You shouldn't be asking me to prove that the child is human. Frankly, it should be the exact reverse. If there is any chance that the unborn child is a human being, we ought to err on the side of extreme caution regarding abortion, not take advantage of the inherent ambiguity of the definition of human being.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Abortion is a state's right's issue...well it should be anyway. Abortion is not one of Congress' enumerated powers.
But "liberty" is one of the stated rights of citizens, and that right trumps a state's freedom to force women to undergo medical procedures as a pre-condition for receiving abortions.

Or do you only read the portions of the Constitution that support your ideology?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Don't like what the state legislature passes, you have two options...

1) Vote them out of office
2) Move to a competing state

Not really sure what the issue is here.

Yet another moronic Patranus post demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the role the Constitution plays in guaranteeing inalienable rights.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Many dependent things live for a brief period before dying. That doesn't mean they're fully capable of surviving on their own.

Ah. Then any and all life support functions should be withheld at birth...and may the fittest survive.

Got it.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

But it's reasonable to assume that a 5-second-old zygote is NOT a person, even if it would be a person 39 weeks later.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

As you well know, the issue isn't whether or not a fetus is a human being; it's whether or not the fetus is a person.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
But it's reasonable to assume that a 5-second-old zygote is NOT a person, even if it would be a person 39 weeks later.

Fair enough. Somewhere between 5 seconds after conception and 5 seconds before birth, a child becomes human.

If we are responsible and humane, we ought to establish what point that is before we allow abortion.

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
You're preaching to the choir, my friend.

I think the constitutional argument is fruitless, the authoritarians that argue that this is not in the constitution, so the state has power, will turn around and say that something else is not in the constitution therefore the state has no power tomorrow.

I am sure you know the religious groups are the ones pushing this.

Reasonable, I respect the viewpoint, but I can't agree with your conclusion. Women have rights, and they can conflict with the rights of the child, we have to make a decision regarding when each ones right's take precedence.

But when does it change from not a person to a person. If we are not allowed to terminate a person, then we have to have a clear definition of when a clump of cells achieves "personhood."

As you well know, the issue isn't whether or not a fetus is a human being; it's whether or not the fetus is a person.

Is he really wrong for thinking it is bad to kill a human being who is not yet a person?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
But when does it change from not a person to a person. If we are not allowed to terminate a person, then we have to have a clear definition of when a clump of cells achieves "personhood."

We are allowed to terminate people. Are you familiar with "pulling the plug" when someone is on life support?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I am sure you know the religious groups are the ones pushing this.

Sure, but there are secular reasons for supporting it too.

Reasonable, I respect the viewpoint, but I can't agree with your conclusion. Women have rights, and they can conflict with the rights of the child, we have to make a decision regarding when each ones right's take precedence.

Okay. My position is that a life cannot be ended without a good freaking reason. In my opinion, good freaking reasons are the following: If the mother's life is at stake, and in the case of rape and incest (although I'm conflicted on that reason).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sure, but there are secular reasons for supporting it too.

Okay. My position is that a life cannot be ended without a good freaking reason. In my opinion, good freaking reasons are the following: If the mother's life is at stake, and in the case of rape and incest (although I'm conflicted on that reason).

You still haven't defined when a fetus becomes a person...I'd like to see reasons that are in truth secular if you performed a root cause analysis...Please indulge me.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Fair enough. Somewhere between 5 seconds after conception and 5 seconds before birth, a child becomes human.

If we are responsible and humane, we ought to establish what point that is before we allow abortion.
Roe v Wade already made that decision, based on viability.

1st trimester (fetus not viable): Very few limits on abortion.
2nd trimester (fetus approaches viability): Moderate limits.
3rd trimester (fetus is viable): Significant limits.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
The usual standard used is viability. A fetus becomes a person when the fetus becomes viable. That occurs right around the end of the second trimester.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You still haven't defined when a fetus becomes a person...I'd like to see reasons that are in truth secular if you performed a root cause analysis...Please indulge me.

Well, as I said I don't know for certain. I'm not a scientist.

But I know it happens at SOME point prior to birth. Because as I said before, a child 5 seconds prior to birth has nothing less than the child 5 seconds after birth. So at SOME point in the womb, the child becomes a person.

Is that unreasonable?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Roe v Wade already made that decision, based on viability.

1st trimester (fetus not viable): Very few limits on abortion.
2nd trimester (fetus approaches viability): Moderate limits.
3rd trimester (fetus is viable): Significant limits.

Do you have a link to this?

Nevermind, found it.

Limits in the third trimester allow exceptions for the health of the mother. Which is so ambiguous as to not be a significant limit.

In my opinion.

Last edited:

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I'm with Atreus21 on this. A fetus becomes a human at some point before birth. Biologically it's a human as soon as has its own DNA. But early in pregnancy there is a high likelihood of natural miscarriage, so it seems unreasonable to consider it to be a human at that point.

I can tell you one thing... humanity has nothing to do with being in or out of the womb. How is it possible for a fetus that's 2 weeks away from birth to be less human than a baby born 2 weeks premature?