Oklahoma teen arrested in school shooting plot...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Is there any actual evidence against this kid or just the hearsay of his principal?

Seems like a bit of a witch-hunt to me.

As they say: never waste a good crisis.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
I don't see a connection between violence and being coddled, not in this context at least. I have far more hope for this country looking at kids and teenagers today than I do when I look at many middle-aged citizens. The young are sharp and well educated, far adept at accessing large amounts of information due to being born into tech, and much more socially adroit to boot as a result. People like to dismiss social skills and confidence, but that's what it takes to succeed in business, and business drives jobs and employment. I see a lot of violence as merely a by-product of loopholes that allow kids to get away with all sorts of things, be it crime, cheating or otherwise; e.g. lack of 2-parent households or one parent households with help.

I draw a straight causational line throughout my line of thinking, so I could certainly be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I know I stated that a violent society is partly to blame elsewhere, and do believe that it is, but it's only a part of the story...

As for this particular topic, if corporal punishment and violent media are responsible, then children who grew up in the 50s watching cowboys and indians on TV and getting an ass whooping when they mouthed off should have been shooting up their classmates a long time ago. Children are more coddled than ever, so I don't know if I believe that a little physical punishment is harmful. On the contrary, maybe having your knuckles rapped by a ruler a couple of times makes you realize that you're not a special little flower, prone to going insane when things don't go your way.

The parents of us 1950's kids followed Dr. Spock (no, not the Star Trek one). He hardly encouraged "ass busting."

OP sounds like a cranky old geezer and his theory makes even less sense than Mike Hukabee's one about seperation of church and state.

A lot of things contributed to this psycho doing what he did, but easy access to military grade mass killing weapons certainly enabled him to act out his sick wishes that much easier.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Nobody said corporal punishment was responsible - the OP said the absence of corporal punishment was responsible. I agree that corporal punishment is not responsible for this (I myself was spanked occasionally as a kid), but neither is the (relative) lack of it. All empirical testing I have ever seen suggests that corporal punishment harms more than hurts when it comes to kids' behavior. From my perspective corporal punishment is one of those things (albeit a lesser one) like smoking or drinking while pregnant - we now know is probably unwise, and while it won't necessarily harm the kid, it doesn't help either.

I would say it is more of a lack of 'boundaries' and 'consequences'. In that regards limited physical punishment is most likely better than a significant lack of parents guidance as to acceptable behavior but it not as effective as other measures.

That said, I am not sure physical punishment would have prevented Sandy Hook from happening. IMO teaching him how to shoot was asking for trouble and is a more egregious parenting error than a lack of physical punishment

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I would say it is more of a lack of 'boundaries' and 'consequences'. In that regards limited physical punishment is most likely better than a significant lack of parents guidance as to acceptable behavior but it not as effective as other measures.

That said, I am not sure physical punishment would have prevented Sandy Hook from happening. IMO teaching him how to shoot was asking for trouble and is a more egregious parenting error than a lack of physical punishment

It's not so much physical punishmant it parents that continue to threaten any type of punishment but never follow through with it. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people raising kids that constantly threaten a spanking or a time out and it never happens. Kids aren't dumb, if there is never a consequence for your actions, why change your behavior?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it interesting that more people are concerned with my views and calling me an old geezer than the kid from the OP (and more like him) that are INCREASINGLY coming out of the woodwork and killing or threatening to kill people.

Since you guys don't like why I THINK these kids are doing it, what are your OPINIONS on why they are doing it and HOW DO YOU THINK we can fix it?

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Kids today see the US as a place where the priveleged literally get away with murder while they see a future for themselves that consists of 40-50 years of hard work with no security, no retirement and no justice.

Its pretty easy to see a corrupted US where individuals are at the mercy of corporations and the wealthy. And its affecting their mental health.

Oh so rampage killers are social justice champions now?

Is that why this happened so much more back in the days of child labor and no minimum wage and no weekend, and the robber-baron corporations?

Oh wait.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
Kids can't see beyond a week in advance let alone 40-50 years down the line to retirement. Sorry, but that deserves a hardy lol.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Since you guys don't like why I THINK these kids are doing it, what are your OPINIONS on why they are doing it and HOW DO YOU THINK we can fix it?

Perhaps not directed at me but I would think that would be pretty clear from my post: