Oklahoma law that prohibits a woman from getting an abortion unless she first has an ultrasound and the doctor describes

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://ap.google.com/article/A...K9HkfzBmeDQvwD93NPSRO0

Okla. abortion ultrasound requirement challenged

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) ? An advocacy group is suing over an Oklahoma law that prohibits a woman from getting an abortion unless she first has an ultrasound and the doctor describes to her what the fetus looks like.

In the lawsuit filed Thursday in Oklahoma County District Court, the Center for Reproductive Rights says that the requirement intrudes on privacy, endangers health and assaults dignity.

The law, set to go into effect Nov. 1, would make Oklahoma the fourth state in the nation to require that ultrasounds be performed before a woman can have an abortion and that the ultrasounds be made available to the patient for viewing, according to the Guttmacher Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based health research organization.

The other states are Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Backers of the lawsuit say Oklahoma is the only state to require that the ultrasound screen be turned toward the woman during the procedure and that the doctor describe what is on the screen, including various dimensions of the fetus.

Elizabeth Nash, public policy associate with the Guttmacher Institute, said the Oklahoma law appears unique in that its intent is that the woman seeking an abortion view the ultrasound images.

Lawmakers overrode Gov. Brad Henry's veto to pass the anti-abortion legislation in April. Henry, a Democrat, said he vetoed the bill because it didn't exempt victims of rape or incest from the ultrasound requirement.

wtf? Without a doubt this is the strangest, most un-Constitutional law I have ever heard of.
Don't Republicans still value ANY of our freedoms?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Good thing the Christian Scientists don't run Oklahoma. I'd hate to have to look at a streptococcus slide before I could get antibiotics.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: techs
Good thing the Christian Scientists don't run Oklahoma. I'd hate to have to look at a streptococcus slide before I could get antibiotics.

:laugh:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Anyone notice that abortion has totally been missing as an issue in the election??

Wonder if it has to do with Obama's absolutely awful answer at Saddleback.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
wtf? Without a doubt this is the strangest, most un-Supreme Court-ish law I have ever heard of.
Don't Republicans still value ANY of our freedoms?

Fixed.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SigArms08
Too inconvenient?

The question is, do you support the government forcing you by law to do this?

My question to you is: Do you personally support the intrusive power of the state coercing its citizens to do this . . . and, if you do, exactly where does your support of coercive state control of a American citizen's private life end?

What's the bar, chief?

If they're in your girlfriend's belly, can they conduct a surprise search of your anus, you know, for the common good?

What is your anus hiding from America, and why is it more sacrosanct to you than your girlfriend's womb?

Well? :|

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Anyone notice that abortion has totally been missing as an issue in the election??

You know he gets a lot of flak from that from the right but I'm not sure anywhere else. I am in complete agreement. . . I am against abortion but if I were President of the United States I would also think it "above my pay grade" to make the ultimate distinction for everyone whether it was right or wrong. I am a bit disappointed as Obama has tried to distance himself from that comment.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Perknose
Too inconvenient?

My question to you is: Do you personally support the intrusive power of the state coercing its citizens to do this . . . and, if you do, exactly where does your support of coercive state control of a American citizen's private life end?

What's the bar, chief?

If they're in your girlfriend's belly, can they conduct a surprise search of your anus, you know, for the common good?

What is your anus hiding from America, and why is it more sacrosanct to you than your girlfriend's womb?

Intrusive power of the state?

They're requiring a woman to consult with a doctor before an abortion. No matter how much you want it to be a grievous breach of personal privacy, it isn't. The means by which our paychecks are taxed is far more intrusive.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Too inconvenient?

What's the bar, chief?

Intrusive power of the state?

They're requiring a woman to consult with a doctor before an abortion. No matter how much you want it to be a grievous breach of personal privacy, it isn't. The means by which our paychecks are taxed is far more intrusive.

Consult a Dr my ass.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Seems to me that this would be more than just a simple requirement. Setting up an appointment and paying for the ultrasound costs money, which could constitute an undue burden on those seeking abortions. Hence, it puts a financial barrier between a woman and her right to choose. Lets face it, if a woman is intent on getting an abortion, seeing an ultrasound pic would hardly change her mind at the time, especially if she isn't far along in the pregnancy.

SCOTUS smackdown coming down in 3...2...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang

You know he gets a lot of flak from that from the right but I'm not sure anywhere else. I am in complete agreement. . . I am against abortion but if I were President of the United States I would also think it "above my pay grade" to make the ultimate distinction for everyone whether it was right or wrong. I am a bit disappointed as Obama has tried to distance himself from that comment.
His answer was just a dodge at the question.

He could have answered and then followed with an explanation on how he doesn't think the government should interfere with the private lives of its citizens.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
[1] They're requiring a woman to consult with a doctor before an abortion.

[...]

[2] The means by which our paychecks are taxed is far more intrusive.

[1] Yours is a LIE by omission. That's why the oath stipulates the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Here's the whole truth, in case you need reminding:

The law, set to go into effect Nov. 1, would make Oklahoma the fourth state in the nation to require that ultrasounds be performed before a woman can have an abortion and that the ultrasounds be made available to the patient for viewing, according to the Guttmacher Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based health research organization.

Backers of the lawsuit say Oklahoma is the only state to require that the ultrasound screen be turned toward the woman during the procedure and that the doctor describe what is on the screen, including various dimensions of the fetus.

This, my friend, is the STATE mandating what a citizen's personal physician must say and do in a situation where the state has no goddamn business, and you can't conviently OMIT this from your intentionally deceptive summary.

Yes, taxation (with represetation, no matter how imperfect) is somehow WORSE than STATE ENFORCED personal social control by minority religious fiat.

What horseplop. Try again. :roll:

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

He could have answered and then followed with an explanation on how he doesn't think the government should interfere with the private lives of its citizens.

Bullcrap.

You should learn from his wisdom. The answer to that question is above your pay grade, too.

The only people who don't understand what a personal situation this is, each women with her understanding of God or ethics, AND NEVER THE STATE'S, are those too simple or too ignorant to understand that it is above their pay grade, as well.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

[...]

[1] Yours is a LIE by omission. That's why the oath stipulates the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This, my friend, is the STATE mandating what a citizen's personal physician must say and do in a situation where the state has no goddamn business, and you can't conviently OMIT this from your intentionally deceptive summary.

Yes, taxation (with represetation, no matter how imperfect) is somehow WORSE than STATE ENFORCED personal social control by minority religious fiat.

Dude, WTF. How much will you flip out over this?

Are they pinning the woman's eyelids back? Jesus. It isn't mandated that she actually look at it.

What's the matter? Are you afraid the mother might have a shred of compassion when faced with the reality that she's killing her own offspring?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang

"Above my pay grade" means exactly that.. as a government official such a important, controversial moral question is not up to him to decide.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
What's the matter? Are you afraid the mother might have a shred of compassion when faced with the reality that she's killing her own offspring?

Cut the crap.

The central question is: Do you think THE STATE should have the coercive power to command by law that its doctors must enforce this procedure on its citizens, even if both they and the patient are unwilling?

It appears that you do.

Do you?

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Damn and I thought Oklahoma was full of dumbasses, good job OK! Now if we could only get something like this in Texas!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

[...]

Dude, WTF. How much will you flip out over this?

Are they pinning the woman's eyelids back? Jesus. It isn't mandated that she actually look at it.

It's not the state's business. If she doesn't want it, she doesn't want it. To fucking hell with what the state wants. And I care even less about the interests of the religious nutballs who seem to care so much about this issue.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008

Cut the crap.

The central question is: Do you think THE STATE should have the coercive power to command by law that its doctors must enforce this procedure on its citizens, even if both they and the patient are unwilling?

It appears that you do.

Do you?

You're joking right? Does the state have the right to say it's ok to kill babies as long as they are still inside you? Does the state have the right to mandate which vaccines you should give your children?

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100

Cut the crap.

It appears that you do.

Do you?

You're joking right? Does the state have the right to say it's ok to kill babies as long as they are still inside you? Does the state have the right to mandate which vaccines you should give your children?

You fudge this issue by calling fetuses, perhaps zygotes even if you hold theorcratically that life now begins at conception, but the LAW OF THE LAND says otherwise.

Now, answer the question

Do you think THE STATE should have the coercive power to command by law that its doctors must enforce this procedure on its citizens, even if both they and the patient are unwilling?

Yes or No. Answer the damn question.