Oklahoma DA does not believe Stand Your Ground applies to black man

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

DA does not think second degree is enough, upgrades to 1st degree.

Defendent's wife's account:
Around 1 a.m., on May 26, 2020, LaRue Bratcher was at his marijuana business, Premium Smoke, LLL, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, when he noticed Daniel Hardwick, 43, trying to break into his business. Vicky Bratcher says this was not the first time Hardwick attempted to break into the business.

“He was breaking in when my husband gave him his warnings and was like, ‘What are you doing?’ The man continued to break in, and that’s where my husband fired through the door. The man was unfortunately on the other side, my husband could not see what was the man’s position or anything and that’s when the bullet struck him in the head and, unfortunately, the man died,” Vicky Bratcher said.

Bratcher called police after Hardwick was shot, and when officers arrived, they learned LaRue Bratcher was operating his marijuana business without an active license, and he was arrested. Police confiscated 480 marijuana plants worth $1.5 million from Bratcher’s business.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Excerpt from Oklahoma's stand your ground law. From this looks like a legitimate use of SYG. Also looks like yet another case of blacks getting unequal treatment under the law in this so called non-racist country.
n Oklahoma, the Legislature allows self-defense under the following circumstances, because it “recognizes that the citizens of the State of Oklahoma have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes or places of business”:

• The person you defended yourself against was in the process of forcefully entering, or had unlawfully entered, a home, occupied vehicle, or business. This does not apply if the person you defended yourself against has a right to be in the home, vehicle or business (owner, title holder, etc.) and there is no protective order in place. This also does not apply if you were engaged in unlawful activity or were using the home, business or vehicle to further illegal acts.
  • In Oklahoma, if a person enters a place illegally or by force, it is presumed that he or she was doing so to commit an illegal act.
What counts as self defense | Jacqui Ford Law | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (fordlawokc.com)

Reactions: hal2kilo

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Excerpt from Oklahoma's stand your ground law. From this looks like a legitimate use of SYG. Also looks like yet another case of blacks getting unequal treatment under the law in this so called non-racist country.
What counts as self defense | Jacqui Ford Law | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (fordlawokc.com)
nope, you even quoted it....

'This also does not apply if you were engaged in unlawful activity or were using the home, business or vehicle to further illegal acts. '

since his license expired he was not running a legit business and therefore it was an unlawful activity...see how they always have that technicality built in....they love to be technically correct yet morally wrong

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'd have to say that law is very wrong with the exception of the attempted entry directly stemming from illegal activity on your part.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

'This also does not apply if you were engaged in unlawful activity or were using the home, business or vehicle to further illegal acts. '

since his license expired he was not running a legit business and therefore it was an unlawful activity...see how they always have that technicality built in....they love to be technically correct yet morally wrong
That's a pretty bogus reason. Example: if an unlicensed adult drove a car to the grocery store and was hit by a drunk driver do you think the drunk driver wouldn't be charged?

BE is still illegal despite the fact the growers license was expired. In fact, he shouldn't have even been arrested. Fined, yes. People are not arrested for an expired car registration.

I still revert to unequal treatment. Have any of the Republicans busted for intentional voter fraud gone to jail? The only one I know is Crystal Mason and she did it by accident.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
That's a pretty bogus reason. Example: if an unlicensed adult drove a car to the grocery store and was hit by a drunk driver do you think the drunk driver wouldn't be charged?

BE is still illegal despite the fact the growers license was expired. In fact, he shouldn't have even been arrested. Fined, yes. People are not arrested for an expired car registration.

I still revert to unequal treatment. Have any of the Republicans busted for intentional voter fraud gone to jail? The only one I know is Crystal Mason and she did it by accident.
Oh i agree it's a bogus reason, but they love technicalities and will try to use it until the sc smacks them down if they feel like it

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Oh i agree it's a bogus reason, but they love technicalities and will try to use it until the sc smacks them down if they feel like it
They love the technicalities if it means a black man goes to prison

Reactions: KMFJD

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Have George Soros come in and overhaul the local justice system and Oklahoma can get no-bail, get of jail free technicality card wielding district attorneys since it is working so well in liberal democrat cities.

• Haha

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Have George Soros come in and overhaul the local justice system and Oklahoma can get no-bail, get of jail free technicality card wielding district attorneys since it is working so well in liberal democrat cities.

You are just happy because yet again blacks are being treated unequally under our CJS. Now you can go back to jerking off to this, Grand Wizard

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Wow, you seem pretty desperate for a counterpoint. Desperate enough to reach for a completely unrelated topic other than it is about district attorneys. This something a totally rational, non-racist would do.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Actually Oklahoma has already passed a lot of sentencing and charging reform, push for by our then Republican Governor the same one that put her finger in Obama's face. Passed by large margins, even.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009

I think anyone reading the story would realize the charge is absolute horseshit and a waste of taxpayer time and money. No reasonable person using even a little but of common sense would say he had no right to self-defense in that situation.

Its also kind of funny they even asked about his license. I mean, if I call the police to my home, do they ask me to prove its my home and prove I'm 100% up to date on my homeowner taxes and property taxes and insurances. Do they ask every business to show that sort of stuff when police are called? Could be grounds for a civil discriminatory suit at some point, if he was cherry picked.

Dec 10, 2005
I think anyone reading the story would realize the charge is absolute horseshit and a waste of taxpayer time and money. No reasonable person using even a little but of common sense would say he had no right to self-defense in that situation.

Its also kind of funny they even asked about his license. I mean, if I call the police to my home, do they ask me to prove its my home and prove I'm 100% up to date on my homeowner taxes and property taxes and insurances. Do they ask every business to show that sort of stuff when police are called? Could be grounds for a civil discriminatory suit at some point, if he was cherry picked.
Where is Humble to tell us all about how wrong we all are?

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo