okay yeah i know it TECHNICALLY doesn't belong here...

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
any ideas? ATOT is of course the most intellectual of all these places so I figure you guys would know ;)
Although more realistically I'm sure you guys dealt with weird situations...

but is there any way to force mono audio...whether its through a specific player or windows itself? We got WMP, MPC, and GOM Player but can't figure it out through any of them

edit:

puts on a flame suit just in case you chew me out anyways

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Hook up a summer using an op amp and three resistors -> sum the pair into one signal. That's the brute-force method (and really easy, too - google opamp summer).

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
that is beautiful and i do know what an omp amp summer is...but i have no access to them

ppdes

May 16, 2004
There's a mono option in "Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Speaker settings -> Advanced... -> Speaker setup" on my machine at least.

The ffdshow DirectShow filter has a mixer section with a mono speaker setup option as well.

Media Player Classic has a suspicious setting in "View -> Options -> Interal Filters -> Audio Switcher -> Enable custom audio mapping" as well.

Too bad I can't think of any directional samples laying around here for a quick test run.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack (MPC plus ffddshow and a bunch of other codecs) and you can do it from there. in the audio ffddshow filter you can tell it to force mono.