Okay, politics aside, how would *you* fix the USA?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
and pull it out of this recession?

Me, I would print money.

Seriously. I would print so much money that inflation would be like 10-15% a year. That would make the real impact of debts much lower. It would also screw over foreign holders of debt and stimulate domestic manufacturing.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Before you go off fixing something, first find out why it's broken.

Apr 27, 2012
End all the wars and bring the troops home
Cut the welfare and entitlement state along with corporate welfare
Cut the bureaucracies
End the income and corporate tax to be replaced with a sales tax
Cut the regulations

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Do the opposite of whatever California is doing:

From the mid-1980s to 2005, California's population grew by 10 million, while Medicaid recipients soared by seven million; tax filers paying income taxes rose by just 150,000; and the prison population swelled by 115,000.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Abolish all free trade agreements.
Reinstate Glass-Steagall.
Tax capital gains as income.
Raise income tax for the top bracket to pre-Reagan 70%.
Shut down all foreign military bases in countries that have not been antagonistic with 10 years.
Overturn Citizens United.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Step 1, do a comprehensive analysis of why we have the problems, in a timely manner
Step 2, End all wars
Step 3, Kick out ALL illegal immigrants, if I can go to jail for smoking a plant, they can get deported for illegaly entering the country and leeching off of our system
Step 4, Comprehensive analysis of entitlement programs, set a STRICT 2 year limit on benefits every 15 years. The sooner people are forecd to be more independant and work for themselves the better. My mom was living alone with a newborn (me) at 18 in her own apartment and didnt have ANY help from the government/other agencies. She worked 16 hours a day and I was in daycare/at my grandparents house. So dont tell me "its too hard"
Step 5, Get rid of the fucking DEA, just get rid of it. The war on drugs only protects big pharmas bottom line
Step 6, Reduce overall size of federal government. Why do we have the FDA and USDA? Do we really need two agencies that handle food? Consolidate the various agencies into concise groups and limit the size to whats necessary +5% to account for missing people/sick/other things so buisness can go on without worrying about lack of staffing
Step 7, Get rid of the bypartisan system and force journalists to report unbiased facts. If we didnt have a bipartisan system it would force people to do research on which candidate they like best, and stop a lot of the division thats going on. Those who only vote based on party (because they are too lazy to research candidates) will either not vote or make uninformed choices, no different then what they do now, this would only help alleviate problems from informed voters and people that care.
Step 8, Return personal freedom back to the people. I dont ned the government telling me what I can and cant do to myself, once youre 18 (adult) you should be able to do whatever you want to yourself and not worry about big brother protecting you from yourself. These freedoms end where others freedoms begin.
Step 9, Stop bailing out companies that would otherwise fail. They can file for bankrupcy just like I can. Stop bailing out governments, theyre not our problem. If all governments acted with intelligence and not lusting for votes we wouldnt be in this situation.
Step 10, Make a 10 step plan to fix the corrupt and inflated government

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
System is already slowly healing itself (1.8% - 2% / year over year slow but steady employment growth (IIRC, Morningstar economist Bob Johnson has said this has been true for last 6 quarters / 18 months), and sluggish 2% real gdp growth (not population growth adjusted; population growth now is 0.7%, where it has been 1.4 - 1.5% some times in past). 3% real gdp growth is apparently "normal" historical average, and was apparently as high as 4.5% in 1960s. (these stats are based upon what Morningstar economist Bob Johnson has said on Morningstar website). He also said that recovery from this Great Bush near Depression has been half of what is typical after "generic" recession, but also that recovery from recession is normally driven by 1) housing, and 2) government spending...

If you listen to CEOs on CNBC or other business channels, who are discussing their businesses and not their personal political opinions, all they want is predictability and certainty; i. e. tell them the rules of the road and then they can decide whether or not expanding their businesses and hiring make sense now or in future.

In terms of unleashing the coiled spring that is corporate America (i. e. the tightly coiled spring that exists right now, not after, say if Romney were to come into office, which I think would end up being disaster for country) and creating a new Morning in America for all, things off the top of my head I'd say include:

- Obama Boehner Grand Bargain of some sort that puts country on glidepath to sustainable fiscal health over time

- complete overhaul of corporate tax code to lower rate (i. e. globally competitive actual rate paid, not nominal rate before loopholes) but most importantly, to incentivize proper allocation of capital (not just gaming the system with loopholes carved out by connected lobbyists), with repatriation of foreign profits as a chip in game

- (this part obviously will be controversial depending upon whom you support for President), but I say the personal income tax and estate tax reform President Obama recommends

- continue with Obamacare as initial step towards universal single payor health insurance (ultimately, goal is reining in out of control inflation in health care costs (not Medicare or entitlements, per se) that will eventually bankrupt country if not addressed, and improving outcomes / bang for the buck we currently get with our health care system)

- developing oil and natural gas resources with rational concern for environment, including things like completing that Canadian pipeline, and probably developing natural gas pipelines to coast where LNG plants can be built so we can export to Asia

- rebuilding manufacturing in country is also already occurring, but continue including alternative energy technology for when whole world is growing robustly and pushes cost of oil to very high levels that won't come down

- building infra-structure so we can compete globally in 21th century, and strong focus on education and prudent immigration policy so, for example, entrepreneurs of future build their businesses here vs. in India or elsewhere

- prudent financial regulation (probably has to be worldwide regulatory framework) that matches risk and reward (i. e. those who take risk have to have lots of their own skin in the game, like private Swiss bankers, who Kyle Bass said are apparently personally liable for losses they create for their depositors), and greater transparency of financial transactions so anyone can truly assess how risky a given counter-party is in the interconnected financial world in which we live

- take big money and corporate money out of politics, and / or make sure donors have to be totally transparent about whom they donate to and which ads they put up (transparency and accountability to actual voters, not richest or most politically connected entities) Karl Rove's entity is apparently opaque black hole, for example.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
Abolish all free trade agreements.
Reinstate Glass-Steagall.
Tax capital gains as income.
Raise income tax for the top bracket to pre-Reagan 70%.
Shut down all foreign military bases in countries that have not been antagonistic with 10 years.

That is wrong, why should they pay such a high tax rate. We need smaller government not bigger government

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Reinstate a version of Glass-Steagall that has fewer loop holes.

Raise income tax for the top bracket to rates used during the Eisenhower administration.

Go through our trade agreements with china with a fine toothed comb. Every manipulation and law they have that works to their advantage at our detriment we slap them with a tariff.

End the war on drugs, tax them.

End the war on terror.

Anyone willing to lift a shovel gets a job. We have lots of infrastructure that needs to be repaired and lots of unemployed people. It's a no brainer.

Build a self sustaining base on the moon.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Personally, I would look at Social Security and Medicare and make sure that the amount of money we having coming in for these services is equal to the amount of money each program costs. Neither of these programs would be allowed to run deficits or surpluses, and neither fund would ever be allowed to to be dipped into by any politician.

I would also digitize all of these records, and force providers and patients to access their records electronically. I would publish these records online for public scrutiny (with personal patient information omitted, obviously)

I would cut defense spending by closing half of our overseas bases, and consolidating as many overseas installations as possible. I would consolidate federal procurement policies under one simplified regulation that is branch agnostic. I would also force more upper leadership from the branches of the military to work together, homogenizing standards and policies across the board. We would pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan entirely.

Concerning taxes, I would take a good hard look at the tax code and simplify it as much as possible. I'm no tax expert, but my goal would be to reduce the current size of the tax code by half. Tax subsidies would be eliminated for industries that are doing well - goodbye oil subsidies.

I would make it impossible for any working individual or business to pay no taxes - we would all pay something, even if it's a minute amount. The total amount of credits received cannot exceed the 75% of the total amount of taxes paid. Raise tax brackets back to Clinton era levels. There would be no cap the amount of income that would be eligible to be taxed - you make money, it gets taxed - plain and simple.

I would also implement a 1% sales tax on every good sold - this would be earmarked exclusively to pay down federal debt. Lawmakers would not be allowed to factor this amount into any yearly federal budget. As an incentive to balance the budget, this sales tax would be eliminated for one year following each successfully balanced budget.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Personally, I would look at Social Security and Medicare and make sure that the amount of money we having coming in for these services is equal to the amount of money each program costs. Neither of these programs would be allowed to run deficits or surpluses, and neither fund would ever be allowed to to be dipped into by any politician.

I would also digitize all of these records, and force providers and patients to access their records electronically. I would publish these records online for public scrutiny (with personal patient information omitted, obviously)

I would cut defense spending by closing half of our overseas bases, and consolidating as many overseas installations as possible. I would consolidate federal procurement policies under one simplified regulation that is branch agnostic. I would also force more upper leadership from the branches of the military to work together, homogenizing standards and policies across the board. We would pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan entirely.

Concerning taxes, I would take a good hard look at the tax code and simplify it as much as possible. I'm no tax expert, but my goal would be to reduce the current size of the tax code by half. Tax subsidies would be eliminated for industries that are doing well - goodbye oil subsidies.

I would make it impossible for any working individual or business to pay no taxes - we would all pay something, even if it's a minute amount. The total amount of credits received cannot exceed the 75% of the total amount of taxes paid. Raise tax brackets back to Clinton era levels. There would be no cap the amount of income that would be eligible to be taxed - you make money, it gets taxed - plain and simple.

I would also implement a 1% sales tax on every good sold - this would be earmarked exclusively to pay down federal debt. Lawmakers would not be allowed to factor this amount into any yearly federal budget. As an incentive to balance the budget, this sales tax would be eliminated for one year following each successfully balanced budget.

That sounds almost good, but the whole sales tax thing sucks. I live in NH and we dont pay sales tax, were doing just fine.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Infrastructure has kind of been my hobby horse lately so I'll post about that:

1) Link the federal fuel tax with inflation with a modifier for average mpg efficiency increases.

2) Change funding formulas to encourage more new starts in public transportation systems. Plan, fund, and construct HSR for dense metropolitan regions (Northeast Corridor).

3) National Infrastructure Bank. Form a non-partisan board(s) of economists, engineers, and business professionals to oversee approval and oversight of all projects. Seed entity with an initial 100B in Federal funds to leverage private investment at a ratio of no more than 1:4. Enable bank to access additional tiers of Federal funds following audits from the GAO to keep projects in line.

3) Construct the super grid. Provide targeted tax incentives for renewable energy to regions that can take advantage of specific technologies (solar for the southwest, wind for the midwest, geothermal for active regions, etc). Extend federal loan program to replace existing nuclear fleet with safer more efficient nuclear plants, deny long term NRC license extensions. Require freight/fleet vehicles to be hybrid, all electric, high efficiency diesel, or CNG (provide tiered tax incentives based on solution chosen).

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
That sounds almost good, but the whole sales tax thing sucks. I live in NH and we dont pay sales tax, were doing just fine.
Your post is representative of why reform is impossible in the political system we have in this country today. Everybody wants something to change unless it affects them. The status quo is just fine for them.

Reform starts with politicians. Let them lead by example. In other words, it's never going to happen. We are doomed to fall as other civilizations have fallen before us. All we can do is delay it. Unless a true leader emerges, that is our fate.

We are as polarized as we can be. Look no further than at the microcosm that is P&N for proof. It suits the political needs of those in power. Recognize it for what it is. Fight or capitulate, there is no other choice.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

I see it as an incentive to get your representatives to balance the budget - it's the carrot we need to actually balance our numbers. Personally, I would vote out any representative that was unable to balance the budget if there were REAL and immediate consequences to my pocketbook.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Do what Switzerland does.

Seriously, keep the basic freedoms, but set up the government like a much more functional european country.
What we do, aint working. Its that god damn simple.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I see it as an incentive to get your representatives to balance the budget - it's the carrot we need to actually balance our numbers. Personally, I would vote out any representative that was unable to balance the budget if there were REAL and immediate consequences to my pocketbook.
And it wouldn't work. Because one bad apple spoils the bunch. Unless every elected official, every appointed official, every lobbyist and every staffer is eliminated, the corruption will continue. Don't think otherwise. We have a systemic problem and one that took hundreds of years to hone.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I say to abolish the Federalist Constitution... doing that would restore the Articles of Confederation.:) There will be short term pain, but long term prosperity.:)
Step 7, Get rid of the bypartisan system and force journalists to report unbiased facts. If we didnt have a bipartisan system it would force people to do research on which candidate they like best, and stop a lot of the division thats going on. Those who only vote based on party (because they are too lazy to research candidates) will either not vote or make uninformed choices, no different then what they do now, this would only help alleviate problems from informed voters and people that care.
I hate the MSM too, but they're the way they are because what you suggested doing is actually happening. All media should be totally free enterprise with a complete wall between them and the state so that their losses aren't public.
The tax on them is already high as hell.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
return the "states" to territory status to reclaim lost sovereignty and cull federalism to a absolute minimum.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Reinstate a version of Glass-Steagall that has fewer loop holes.

Raise income tax for the top bracket to rates used during the Eisenhower administration.

Go through our trade agreements with china with a fine toothed comb. Every manipulation and law they have that works to their advantage at our detriment we slap them with a tariff.

End the war on terror.

Anyone willing to lift a shovel gets a job. We have lots of infrastructure that needs to be repaired and lots of unemployed people. It's a no brainer.

Build a self sustaining base on the moon.

No, dont tax them. The government doesnt have to have its hand in EVERYTHING. They should already be legalized and untaxed. Just like alcohol and tobacco should be too.