Okay, Bioware has the absolute worst loot system of any RPG maker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Excluding characters, setting, story, plot, dialog, character interaction, ending, visuals, art direction, and game stability. DA2 was the biggest piece of a crap to be released this decade.
If DA3 is like DA2, then we can consider the DA franchise dead as a One Hit Wonder.

But, back to the topic at hand. Those junk items are vendor trash, you either don't loot them at all or sell them. Consider, in my pockets I carry a toothbrush, toothpaste, a pen, eye drops, my wallet, my car keys, and my cell phone. If you were to mug me, the only things of value you'd want would be the cash in the wallet and the cell phone. Maybe the car keys if you knew where the car was parked. Everything else, worthless to you.

Characters were more interesting I thought.

Facial animations were a huge improvement. Hair, designs, weapons, graphics, all improved. DA1 had women wearing what looked like helmets of hair. DA2 has natural hair and skin. DA2 had elves looking like elves and not teenaged kids.

The "save world from evil" plot is just so stupid. The Darkspawn are 1-dimensional and uninteresting. They are the worst antagonists I've ever seen in a game, since they're not even interesting to look at. It basically amounted to a big cockroach infestation.

Combat was more sped up which made it more fun. It ended up feeling more like a customizable God of War game which I'm cool with. DA1's combat was like a bad mix of RTS and action, since positioning really didn't matter that much in terms of getting like a combat bonus but the characters moved extremely slowly and attacked very slowly and fumbled around the battlefield.

But basically if you play DA2 like a God of War game with some a conversation tree engine, it's decently fun. I found that it was just as tactical in terms of getting the rogue to DPS the place up and throwing heals at the right time.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
"Junk" loot is just an economic tool; it provides 'currency' input without being a liquid currency reward. It is also a mild measure to deter botting; as the bot will either fill it's inventory (bottlenecking how profitable it is) or has to account for picking it up and selling it/dropping it or account for not picking it up at all.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I'm guessing you are talking about TOR? If so, WoW (and pretty much all MMO's now) does essentially the same thing. They just do it differently, instead of making a label saying junk, they give it a color so you know it is totally worthless. In WoW's case it is grey (been a few years since I played may be wrong).

Actually its off-white with a hint of black. :cool:

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Way to make more $$$ in game. While a lot of that junk isn't worth a lot, there are some things that are worth quite a bit. Plus, if everything had a use then it would take longer to get rid of stuff instead of simply vendoring it to get money right away and also fill up your bank quicker.

Not really. They could just add the currency amount to the kills, and make it so you don't see an item unless it is "uncommon" or better. Which may mean only seeing an item every 25+ kills.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Not really. They could just add the currency amount to the kills, and make it so you don't see an item unless it is "uncommon" or better. Which may mean only seeing an item every 25+ kills.

right.

hey, you played asherons' call?

That game probably had the best loot system of any MMO I've played. Absolute best.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
It's not a junk that is a problem, it's how you deal with it. I like Guild Wars2 approach. There is junk. There is "Sell junk" on every vendor window. There is a variety of bags. Ones that store crafting mats, junk or even "invisible" bag the contents of which you don't see in the vendor window. There is even "Deposit collectable" and "Deposit all collectables" button that transfer pets and most of the crafting mats to the special tab of the bank from any point in the world.
It might be too "casual" and even counter-intuitive from the business standpoint(additional bag slots and remote bank access things from the gem shop became less valuable), but it's nice and easy.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
It's not a junk that is a problem, it's how you deal with it. I like Guild Wars2 approach. There is junk. There is "Sell junk" on every vendor window. There is a variety of bags. Ones that store crafting mats, junk or even "invisible" bag the contents of which you don't see in the vendor window. There is even "Deposit collectable" and "Deposit all collectables" button that transfer pets and most of the crafting mats to the special tab of the bank from any point in the world.
It might be too "casual" and even counter-intuitive from the business standpoint(additional bag slots and remote bank access things from the gem shop became less valuable), but it's nice and easy.

Why even bother with junk?

Why not just leave it out, make drops rare and meaningful like weapons.

You'd still get junk gear, sure, but here Bioware is just saying "we're purposely annoying and cluttering you"

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Why even bother with junk?

Why not just leave it out, make drops rare and meaningful like weapons.

You'd still get junk gear, sure, but here Bioware is just saying "we're purposely annoying and cluttering you"

How about not looting the junk?