Okay ATG...educate me on turbo diesel trucks.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'm tempted to sell my Tacoma and buy something I can tow stuff with (i.e. MR2 on trailer). Considering I'll likely end up getting the same or better fuel economy and be able to drag half of a city block if I felt like it, it's tempting.

I've heard Ford's 7.3 is good. 6.0 is bad. 6.2 is meh. What should I know?

I kinda like the F350 crew cab short beds and do want 4x4.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I used to tow vehicles as big as a Dodge minivan with an early 90s F150 shortbed with the straight 6 engine. Why can't a Tacoma tow an MR2?

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
The 7.3 is less problem prone but I'd take a 6.0 if the price was right. My father has owned both and the power delivery on the 7.3 feels better. Although we put a Banks kit on his 6.0 and it's a rocket ship now.

HK5zBx0.jpg

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Why not just get a Cummins and call it a day? Ford seems to have been quite hit-or-miss with their oil burners (anecdotal evidence).

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
My dad has a 2000 F250 7.3L turbo diesel. Never had a single problem with the engine and he loves it. Still looks brand new inside and out.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
And Banks is only 35 miles away or so :D

But I have no use for a truck...certainly not a diesel. I wish my SUV had a diesel V6. That'd be sweet.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Nothing wrong with a dmax/Allison combo, and it will ride better than the ford or dodge. the 7.3 is a good motor, but its been discontinued a while and they demand a premium even for a half wore out truck. after putting close to 100k on a 6.4 and being around 100 or so of them in a fleet, I would never own a 6.0 or 6.4 L ford. the new engine seems to be much better, but has not been around all that long yet, and it will be more expensive. Cummins is always a good choice, but you have to put up with the dodge they wrapped around it too.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
A friend of mine who builds diesel drag trucks (think 60psi of boost) swears by Dodge/Cummins.

I think basically any diesel truck would be hilarious overkill for towing an MR2 though. What's the tow rating on your Tacoma? A trailer like this one weighs 1,600lbs, plus a 3,000lb MR2, plus 400lb of wheels/tires/tools and you're at 5,000lb. Not too bad.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I think basically any diesel truck would be hilarious overkill for towing an MR2 though. What's the tow rating on your Tacoma? A trailer like this one weighs 1,600lbs, plus a 3,000lb MR2, plus 400lb of wheels/tires/tools and you're at 5,000lb. Not too bad.

Yeah, but what if he needs tow my IS and his neighbors house at the same time?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Do you think you'll drive it enough to bother with a diesel? I mean, the fuel costs quite a bit more. Perhaps a big block is sufficient?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
My Tacoma is slow on it's own. Painful when towing. Certainly not something I've committed to, but since it'd be faster (aaaand it's me) and get better fuel economy and be able to do anything I want while not costing much more than what I can sell my Tacoma for, I'm thinking about it. Plus when the V is gone I'd be able to fit 4 adults in a vehicle without having to try to squash behind the seats in the Tacoma, lol.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
My Tacoma is slow on it's own. Painful when towing. Certainly not something I've committed to, but since it'd be faster (aaaand it's me) and get better fuel economy and be able to do anything I want while not costing much more than what I can sell my Tacoma for, I'm thinking about it. Plus when the V is gone I'd be able to fit 4 adults in a vehicle without having to try to squash behind the seats in the Tacoma, lol.

Plus it would probably be a bit nicer on the inside than the Tacoma. What's your Canadian half thinK? :p

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You can not put the MR2 in the back of the truck? :p

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I used to tow vehicles as big as a Dodge minivan with an early 90s F150 shortbed with the straight 6 engine. Why can't a Tacoma tow an MR2?

Because the Taco doesn't produce enough torque. The Ford 300 inch straight six was an awesome engine, it was designed as a truck engine. They had as much or more torque as many V8's of the same vintage, and they almost never died. Those engines are legendary for a reason.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
The Ford 7.3 is excellent, in either DI or IDI flavors. The 6.0 and 6.4 are a nightmare and should be avoided. My brother in law just dumped $3,500 into his to get it back up and running, and the guy that delivers wood to us spent $2,000 on his this past year. Both are somewhere around the 100-150k mile mark.

The Cummins motors in Dodges are well known for being excellent, but IIRC the transmissions do not last. I also tend to see way more Dodges with body rot than Fords.

I'm not familiar with any of the Chevy offerings, but from the few things I've heard, people have been happy with them.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
6.0 is garbage unless they've gotten the injectors straightened out. My step dad went through 8 of them in 150k.

SyndromeOCZ

Aug 8, 2010
What ever you do.. don't get a ford. Pick up a Cummins and call it a day. I used to have a 93 1 ton dually with over 400k miles on it(speedo never worked very good, or at all). Original engine and tranny. It could tow the hell out of my 15k lb 50' 5th wheel. I did have slightly bigger injectors on it though. Sold it as my dad bought a 2008 cummins brand new, he's got 110k miles on it now without any issues(though the emissions rubbish did fall off at 8k miles)

What price range are you willing to spend on it? I would avoid an automatic cummins unless it has the new 6 speed, those do rather well.

And if you are into modding them then the cummins is great for that. Who knows, you may end up liking it more than your MR2. ;) :D

The Cummins motors in Dodges are well known for being excellent, but IIRC the transmissions do not last. I also tend to see way more Dodges with body rot than Fords.

He's from AZ.. he doesn't know what this body rot is that you speak of. ;)

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The Ford 7.3 is excellent, in either DI or IDI flavors. The 6.0 and 6.4 are a nightmare and should be avoided. My brother in law just dumped $3,500 into his to get it back up and running, and the guy that delivers wood to us spent $2,000 on his this past year. Both are somewhere around the 100-150k mile mark.

I'm not familiar with any of the Chevy offerings, but from the few things I've heard, people have been happy with them.

You can get an Allison transmission in the Ram 2500 now. I don't know anything about it, but I would assume that it's a very good unit just based on who makes it.

SyndromeOCZ

Aug 8, 2010
You can get an Allison transmission in the Ram 2500 now. I don't know anything about it, but I would assume that it's a very good unit just based on who makes it.

Links to prove your lies? You sure it isn't the Aisin(cab & chassis models have them) you are thinking of?

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Because the Taco doesn't produce enough torque. The Ford 300 inch straight six was an awesome engine, it was designed as a truck engine. They had as much or more torque as many V8's of the same vintage, and they almost never died. Those engines are legendary for a reason.

Those were great trucks. :thumbsup: Much better than anything Dodge or GM had in that size at the time.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I'm tempted to sell my Tacoma and buy something I can tow stuff with (i.e. MR2 on trailer). Considering I'll likely end up getting the same or better fuel economy and be able to drag half of a city block if I felt like it, it's tempting.

I've heard Ford's 7.3 is good. 6.0 is bad. 6.2 is meh. What should I know?

I kinda like the F350 crew cab short beds and do want 4x4.

Damn, that's a big jump from a Tacoma to something like the F350. Ridden in one lately? I have and would never buy one unless I had to tow every day, and it'd better be a house or a 10 place horse trailer...I like my kidneys and fillings too much right where they are. ;)

And even if the mileage is the same as the Tacoma, you're going to spend way more in fuel, given diesel sells for, what.... 30 cents/gal more than reg. gas?

Honestly, I'm wondering why you need a vehicle with something like a 15,000# tow capacity? It's going to be a bitch to ride in empty, esp. if you choose a Ford. Heck, even my little 2003 Silverado has an 8400# tow rating, 3.73 rear end, 5.3L V-8, reg. cab, short box. I'd tow your car and trailer with my truck without a second's hesitation, and we're averaging 19.1 mpg out of it right now.

Oh, and how's the no body rot state? Refreshing to not see every rear bumper on a Toyota not rotted away, isn't it? Got very used to seeing darned near every Toyota pickup and SUV with a rotted bumper while we lived on the Cape, although it wasn't restricted to just Toyotas...it was everything. Hate salt and snow!

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
because racetruck? :awe:

pm skyking, i think he has a super boosted cummins truck.