Ok, which ATer had this idea? (William Shatner pitches "star Trek Academy" show to Paramount)

BillyBatson

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
i have heard the idea of having a starfleet academy show for YEARS now but none ever had a cast idea or if it would be during years where any (major) star trek cast member was attending.
Did spoke, Kirk, etc even attend at the same time?! spoke is quite old i would assume he attended before kirk ever did.
I thinkt he show has the possibility of doing well but NOT if it revolves around kirk, he was already annoying as a captain so i bet he was a punk annoying kid at the academy!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: villageidiot111
They should center it around Data, because he is by far the best character.

I was hoping you would ask me to do that, Captain. I just love to scan for lifeforms.

Lifeforms,
You tiny little lifeforms,
You precious little lifeforms,
Where are you?

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Ehh I think it's about time they made a show that was based in the future. Expand the trek universe for once. New ships, new tech, more races. Bigger wars. All the star trek shows so far have either been based in the TNG timeline or in the past. The last new ship we've seen is the Enterprise E. Wouldn't it be wicked if a new series was based like 50 or even 100 years further in the future? Although TNG was my fav., I think Deep Space 9 had the right idea as far as show direction. Most people prefer the larger scale operatic conflicts as opposed to the episodic (non-continuous) series. Something Babylon 5 ish... except much better :)

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Weng's ideal Star Trek:

Set sometime after the rollout of the Sovereign class as a mainline vessel.
Borg == gone. Let Voyager have had their fun.
Invent a new interstellar alliance. Think of it as the Federation; similar size, similar people, except with expansionist ideals and similar technical levels. No gimmicky races.
Have them stage an incursion on Klingon/Romulan turf.
Klingons/Romulans forge an uneasy alliance
Federation jumps in to do the right thing and help out and all that crap.
Make it so that the viewer can identify with both the Federation and the unnamed enemy force
Make them... Very human.
Focus on a single Sovereign class ship which heads up a battle group. NO old characters.

Concept for pilot episode (which, for epic purposes, should actually be 3-4 episodes):
Several months have past since the violent first contact between the Klingons and this alliance. Klingon/Romulan treaty has been signed, they're actually cooperating on a governmental level, though it's still not a good idea to put Klingon and Romulan assets in the same place at the same time, as individuals still attempt to knock each other off. The Klingons have done fairly well holding off the invasion, but the Romulans have lost several worlds in a very short time.

The Federation sent an envoy shortly after the initiation of hostilities; this envoy was captured and killed, and his ship's computer exploited. Romulan intelligence reports that the enemy's primary goal is now to conquer the Federation worlds, but not until after the Klingons and Romulans have been dealt with.

To counter this reported threat, Federation officials instructed Starfleet to assemble and prepare for a defensive war. The first three battlegroups prepared assembled at Sector 001 (aka Earth) and consist of the Federation's ENTIRE inventory of Sovereign vessels and numerous support ships, mainly Akiras and Galaxies. One group is to remain behind as a permanent defensive installation. The other two are to proceed immediately to the Romulan/[unnamed] lines and do whatever is neccessary. The first group is headed by the Enterprise E (with very little of the crew that we know on it, most of them have transferred or been promoted or have their own commands). The second is headed by our protagonist ship. While en-route, the battlegroups recieve reports of a Klingon armada being sent as reinforcements to the Romulans are ambushed by Romulan defenders. The protagonist ship's group is diverted to break up the conflict.

In a SPECTACULAR epic battle sequence, the Enterprise E and it's entire battlegroup are annhilated at the hands of superior enemy numbers. The vastly weakened enemy continues pressing the Romulans and enter orbit of a Romulan world after knocking off the last of the defenders.

After forcing the Klingons and Romulans to remember that they're ALL going to die if they don't knock it off, the combined Klingon/Romulan/Federation Battlegroup 2 proceed to the last known position of Battlegroup 1. They stumble upon wreckage that makes Wolf 359 look like a cakewalk. Naturally, the enemy has taken every single escape pod and are holding them as human shields/prisoners/whatever. The forces then turn to avenge their fallen comrades. The examination of a recovered Romulan computer core reveals that shortly before being destroyed, the crew of that vessel had discovered that there is a small weakness in the shielding used by the enemy which would allow FEDERATION transporters to penetrate with minor modifications. This facilitates an insane rescue mission and the capture of several enemy vessels.

Throughout the series, to mix things up, periodically both sides will discover chinks in the other's armor, which will work a few times, and then be sealed forever.

This rolls everything Star Trek fans love into one: Epic space conflict, political tension, scientific mumbo-jumbo, and with emphasis on the single ship with it's set crew, emotion, love, death, drama. As the series plays out, even exploration will come into play as the Federation decides to continue pushing them back and ensure the destruction of this near-fatal enemy. The destruction of the Enterprise E will of course be a trauma, but will pave the way for the introduction of an even more formidible warship with it's prototype carrying the flag NCC-1701-F, designed for hard ship-to-ship and planet-to-planet infantry battles, fire support, and other warfare roles, instead of the Sovereign's intended role of fighting off the Borg at a distance. Middle of the show's run, the crew of the protagonist vessel should be transferred to the Enterprise F.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
I say Paramount should do *nothing* Trek for two decades, let it die everywhere but in the minds of the fanatics. Then revive it two decades later with a little hoopla and let nostalgia sell the rest.

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
Very detailed EyeMWing. In my mind, the only problem with starting off a new series is that Trek really revolves around strong lead characters. To me, Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks were excellent choices for leads and they also had strong supporting cast members (Jonathan Frakes/Brent Spiner/Levar Burton for Stewart and Terry Farrell/Alexander Siddig etc. for Brooks). Contrast this to Voyager and Enterprise whose leads were mostly B-movie or TV show dropouts with plots to match and we can see why Trek kinda fell off the wayside. For a successful show, I think they should find actors with lots of professional experience and give them a cast to match. Like I said, I would prefer a show based in the future rather than the past, with new ships and a new crew. It'd be interesting to see what kinda timeline Rick Berman can think up between the old shows and the new series. That and i'd really look forward to some new ship designs. The Sovreign class looks awesome. Much sleeker and more menacing than previous gens. I'm sure the Trek artists can think of something even better. Maybe something based more on Borg tech? Obviously a show is nothing without good acting, but man would it be cool to finally see new ship designs. :)

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Connoisseur
Ehh I think it's about time they made a show that was based in the future. Expand the trek universe for once. New ships, new tech, more races. Bigger wars. All the star trek shows so far have either been based in the TNG timeline or in the past. The last new ship we've seen is the Enterprise E. Wouldn't it be wicked if a new series was based like 50 or even 100 years further in the future? Although TNG was my fav., I think Deep Space 9 had the right idea as far as show direction. Most people prefer the larger scale operatic conflicts as opposed to the episodic (non-continuous) series. Something Babylon 5 ish... except much better :)

Is that the one we see for a bit in Enterprise where archer goes into the future? If so that was a badass ship, would love to see some of the inner working of that.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Connoisseur
Very detailed EyeMWing. In my mind, the only problem with starting off a new series is that Trek really revolves around strong lead characters. To me, Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks were excellent choices for leads and they also had strong supporting cast members (Jonathan Frakes/Brent Spiner/Levar Burton for Stewart and Terry Farrell/Alexander Siddig etc. for Brooks). Contrast this to Voyager and Enterprise whose leads were mostly B-movie or TV show dropouts with plots to match and we can see why Trek kinda fell off the wayside. For a successful show, I think they should find actors with lots of professional experience and give them a cast to match. Like I said, I would prefer a show based in the future rather than the past, with new ships and a new crew. It'd be interesting to see what kinda timeline Rick Berman can think up between the old shows and the new series. That and i'd really look forward to some new ship designs. The Sovreign class looks awesome. Much sleeker and more menacing than previous gens. I'm sure the Trek artists can think of something even better. Maybe something based more on Borg tech? Obviously a show is nothing without good acting, but man would it be cool to finally see new ship designs. :)

Damn right good acting is the key. But these days, getting good actors is MAD EXPENSIVE. This is where the beauty of my concept comes to light. If some actor isn't working, you can just KILL THEM. And when you need a cameo, you can very easily get one, because of the entire fleet operations concept. Riker needs to make an appearance? The Titan is somewhere in the damn melee. Picard? He might be an admiral, but he's also brilliant, so he's probably stationed somewhere close to the front lines. Worf? Brilliant tactician, give him a Klingon fleet. God forbid you need Wesley, he's somebody's chief engineer. Chakotay is probably captaining his own rig, Janeway is deceased etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

The unease of a new set of actors can also be explained away because they're probably fresh out of the academy, being thrust headlong into an uncertain war in an uncertain political time against an uncertain enemy. The command staff is obviously a little more seasoned, but the same ideas apply, plus the fact that they're suddenly responsible not only for their lives, but for the lives of an entire armada.

Killing and replacing main characters is a bold concept, but works well for soap operas. That actor obviously sucked so bad that the fans won't be TOO attached, anyway.