OK to have a full gas can in the trunk ?

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
If you get rearended it could be. Also, on a hot day, gas fumes could form in the trunk and even, possibly, leak into the passenger compartment. Not a good idea for an extended period of time.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I would recommend only filling it up 1/4 of the way max, and somehow securing it with a bungee cord. It's good to have for emergencies, but you usually shouldnt need much to get to a gas station.

Fumes can be annoying if it gets hot/sloshes around a lot, but for the most part it should be ok. Check on it regularly to make sure it didnt tip over and spill (especially if you really smell the fumes)

Edit: I've had a partway full gas can in my trunk for over a year now, so above is from experience.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Thanks...

My gas gauge doesn't work.. dumbass mechaninc broke the sensor during a fuel pump install.

I go by the odometer, but sometimes I run out (never while driving, but won't start up) about a little
before I expected... prolly too much rush hour driving on that tank.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: deftron
Thanks...

My gas gauge doesn't work.. dumbass mechaninc broke the sensor during a fuel pump install.

I go by the odometer, but sometimes I run out (never while driving, but won't start up) about a little
before I expected... prolly too much rush hour driving on that tank.

Um, what the hell, dumbass. Go get it fixed on their dime. Sheesh.

- M4H

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
They tried some crap like "they brake in about 1% of all fuel pump installs" (old Firebird)

I thought BS.. anyways, they said they'd cover labor but I'd have to buy the part ($500 from GM.. hard to find used)

I would have come harder at them but they were recommended by my girlfriend's mother.. she's friends with them
and took their side.. didn't want to cause too much beef with her by calling them out...

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
they sell 1 gallon 'gas substitutes' (forget exact name) that are specifically designed to be stored in trunks/etc incase you run out of gas, check any automotive store. i don't know what makes them special, but i know they're not just plain old gasoline.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: deftron
They tried some crap like "they brake in about 1% of all fuel pump installs" (old Firebird)

I thought BS.. anyways, they said they'd cover labor but I'd have to buy the part ($500 from GM.. hard to find used)

I would have come harder at them but they were recommended by my girlfriend's mother.. she's friends with them
and took their side.. didn't want to cause too much beef with her by calling them out...

Just wait until you really run out of gas when you are with your GF. then see what type of tune she sings.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
I remember my dad used to have a '70 SS Nova and he stored an extra tank of 115 in the trunk... but... if i remember right it was illegal?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i vote for getting the gauge fixed. what the hell are you thinking? cruising to a stop everytime you run out?

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
This is from personal experience, but I used to keep about 5 gallons of Turbo Blue 100 in the back of my van when I went racing. I would have it back there for 5 days max. It got pretty hot back there, but I was loading and unloading my bike every 12 hours so it had time to air out. I never had any problems other than the smell.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: dxkj
I would recommend only filling it up 1/4 of the way max, and somehow securing it with a bungee cord. It's good to have for emergencies, but you usually shouldnt need much to get to a gas station.

Fumes can be annoying if it gets hot/sloshes around a lot, but for the most part it should be ok. Check on it regularly to make sure it didnt tip over and spill (especially if you really smell the fumes)

Edit: I've had a partway full gas can in my trunk for over a year now, so above is from experience.

Actually, having a full can is better because gas in it's liquid form is not flammable. Only the fumes are flammable, so when you have 3/4 of a can full of fumes, it has a greater chance of exploding than only 1/4 fumes.

If you ever read articles where experts answer questions about movies, people always ask if a car can just explode when hit. Their answer is that it depends on how much gas is in the car. If the tank is nearly empty, it will have a higher chance of exploding than a car with a full tank because there are more fumes.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
There is some product that you can buy for such emergancies.... itll do enough of a job to get you to a gas station, but it isnt nearly as flammable as gas....

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Actually, having a full can is better because gas in it's liquid form is not flammable. Only the fumes are flammable, so when you have 3/4 of a can full of fumes, it has a greater chance of exploding than only 1/4 fumes.

If you ever read articles where experts answer questions about movies, people always ask if a car can just explode when hit. Their answer is that it depends on how much gas is in the car. If the tank is nearly empty, it will have a higher chance of exploding than a car with a full tank because there are more fumes.

Don't you mean combustible?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Don't you mean combustible?

maybe...what is the difference?

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
First off... if a mechanic broke something on your car, it's their job to replace it, no matter what. Who gives a crap if it's someone's friend... you probably went with them because they were cheaper and now you're going to have to pay for no good reason.

Second, you could just cut a hole in the floorboard and foot it flintstone style. ;)

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

I nominate this for the worst idea of the century.

"Fumes can get annoying"? How about fumes can get 'Exploding'

What happens when the can rubs on the carpeting in your trunk and builds up a small amount of static? Next time you go to take it out you meet a face full of fire, that's what.

SNPELY

Jan 9, 2001
Just take the number miles you are currently using and divide it by 2. Every time you reach this new number fill up.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
... when cell phones are a better idea than extra gas sitting in your trunk all the time... :D

rayray2

Sep 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Salvador
I'd tell you, but you probably don't care to hear about it.

Sal

He asked the question, so I'll bet he would like to hear what you have to say.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: rayray2
Originally posted by: Salvador
I'd tell you, but you probably don't care to hear about it.

Sal

He asked the question, so I'll bet he would like to hear what you have to say.

Ignore Salvador, he's an asshat