Ok so you guys are going to kill me...

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
So i'm going to california and i need a tripod
Kinda low budget any recommendations ?

(i think low budget is an understatement; is this budget even possible?)

thanks!

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
What kind of camera are you shooting with? If it's a P&S, you can get a cheapy one to get you by for that trip. If you are shoting wth an SLR, note the weight of the body and your heavist lens, and look at the specs of a pan and tilt head. As far as budget goes, pan and tilt heads are cheaper than ball heads. And get an entry level set of legs. Most tripod makers will have entry level kits ready to go. You might check craiglists, pennysavers, or your local classefieds (online too).

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
ah! Is your budget on the sub topic? Im on a mobile phone and cant see the sub topic line. What's the budget?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
You must have read my mind. ;)

I was just about to post asking for a very inexpensive tripod that will take a little bit of a beating without breaking (nothing serious, just normal travel wear). It doesn't need to be sturdy enough to hold a huge lens, just to keep my Fuji S6000fd still for some landscape and portrait shots. I would prefer one that stands at least 4 feet tall fully extended (more is better, of course) and shrinks down as much as possible when collapsed. I'm not particularly worried about how much it weighs since I won't be carrying it around much.

I don't want to spend more than $25 either, so if any of you have suggestions of what would work (or what to stay far away from), you can help two of us at the same time.

I found a few that look OK on Amazon but the reviews either say that they are incredibly sturdy and versatile (not likely in this price range) or complete garbage, so I don't think I'll take any of those reviews at face value... :)

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-...&qid=1200287208&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-6...&qid=1200287208&sr=8-5
http://www.amazon.com/World-Ri...qid=1200287359&sr=8-26
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-P...&qid=1200287582&sr=8-3

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I have and have used those cheap aluminum tripods before like the ones that Fardringle posted. You can also get them at places like Best Buy, Ritz Camera, or other computer stores. I used one for about 3 years when I had my old Olympus C-750 superzoom P&S. It actually worked very well, although it can sometimes lack the precision of staying in the exact same place that you lock it in, something that you need if you're doing telephoto stuff, because as you know even a small change in locking position can ruin your framing altogether when you're zoomed in that far. I took the tripod everywhere - backpacking, in rain, in snow, in streams, and it was fine. Super light too. It finally died after years of use when one of the plastic locking clamps on a leg wouldn't lock anymore. For something like an SLR it should be ok for casual use, although you might encounter some slippage or flex in the locking mechanism at downward or upward angles. The one that I had was a no-name. The one that I have right now is a no-name rebranded as Samsonite that I got for $10 at a computer store.

The one that I had could extend to about 5 feet, and a little more with the center column extended. Do note though that these things don't have legs that can extended very low to the ground like other more expensive tripods.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I have and have used those cheap aluminum tripods before like the ones that Fardringle posted. You can also get them at places like Best Buy, Ritz Camera, or other computer stores. I used one for about 3 years when I had my old Olympus C-750 superzoom P&S. It actually worked very well, although it can sometimes lack the precision of staying in the exact same place that you lock it in, something that you need if you're doing telephoto stuff, because as you know even a small change in locking position can ruin your framing altogether when you're zoomed in that far. I took the tripod everywhere - backpacking, in rain, in snow, in streams, and it was fine. Super light too. It finally died after years of use when one of the plastic locking clamps on a leg wouldn't lock anymore. For something like an SLR it should be ok for casual use, although you might encounter some slippage or flex in the locking mechanism at downward or upward angles. The one that I had was a no-name. The one that I have right now is a no-name rebranded as Samsonite that I got for $10 at a computer store.

The one that I had could extend to about 5 feet, and a little more with the center column extended. Do note though that these things don't have legs that can extended very low to the ground like other more expensive tripods.

I have some kodak $10 tripod that looks very similar to the ones recomended so i think ill stick with using that; I was hoping i could find some el cheapo ball head tripod...

Thanks!

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: alfa147x
Originally posted by: OdiN
Where in CA are you going?

San Diego and LA

Only thing close to there that I can recommend for photography would be Death Valley, Joshua Tree NP or the Trona Pinnacles.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Where in CA are you going?

San Diego and LA

Only thing close to there that I can recommend for photography would be Death Valley, Joshua Tree NP or the Trona Pinnacles.

Oh thanks i posted in the OT section and i didnt get any thing interesting

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I wouldn't do it. Why are you going to balance a piece of equipment worth $1000 on a $20 stand. It doesn't make sense.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006

I have some kodak $10 tripod that looks very similar to the ones recomended so i think ill stick with using that; I was hoping i could find some el cheapo ball head tripod...

Thanks!

Yeah, the cheapest ballhead one is around $40 I think. Regardless, pan/tilts are still serviceable. This is a long shot, but can the pan/tilt head on your tripod be unscrewed from the tripod? If so, you may be able to screw on a ballhead in place of the pan/tilt. Or maybe look for a cheap tripod that has this feature? Again, a long shot, as my cheapo tripod can't unscrew.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
I used a $20 QR model from WalMart for parts (the QR head). Looked OK to me for a small travel tripod. Unlike video, you aren't doing a whole lot of panning, so cheap ones aren't so bad as long as you have a light touch while clicking the button. As a hint for shots like that, use the 2 second timer and you can get rid of much of any shaking.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: gsellis
I used a $20 QR model from WalMart for parts (the QR head). Looked OK to me for a small travel tripod. Unlike video, you aren't doing a whole lot of panning, so cheap ones aren't so bad as long as you have a light touch while clicking the button. As a hint for shots like that, use the 2 second timer and you can get rid of much of any shaking.

Yup thats what i do incoordination with locking the mirror up before the shot

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
When do you need it by? I've got an old Velbon DF 40.

http://www.adorama.com/VNDF40.html

I'll send it to you if you pay for the shipping. Found it in my closet while rearranging stuff. Forgot that I had it. I have no use for it at all.

Wow thanks for the offer but that almost exactly like the one i have

thanks again

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005