ok so what do you think I fried?

thekuai

Aug 13, 2009
I'm new here and pretty new to overclocking. Anyways this is what I'm trying to build:

Phenom II 955

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Patriot Torqx PFZ128GS25SSDR 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD)

Vista Home premium 64

I installed and used vista fine. Had stock cpu temps of 44* on a scythe cooler with AC5. Then I started to play with the oc. I used a conservative 200x18 3.6ghz overclock with idle temps nevr above 47*. I then messed with the NB and HT clock. I changed both to 2.4ghz via the multiplier without touching the voltage. Upon a reboot it would not post. I shrugged my shoulders and tried clearing the cmos. Did not post. I then tried taking out the cmos battery for a few min with no results.

The cpu fan wil spin up for a second and then stop. The MB will not beep or show anything on screen. The HD status light will blink every 4 seconds.

any help is appreciated. I think I fried the MB.

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
Yes, I think you did fry the motherboard.

It is also possible the power supply is bad. Do the fans spin up? Do you have another power supply you can test this with?

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
Hmm, good question.

Have you tried unplugging the PSU from the wall and waiting a couple of minutes (for various capacitors to drain)? Even flipping the switch at the back isn't always sufficient to reset the PSU if some internal switch has flipped. (I am by no means a PSU expert, but I have seen them fail to cooperate after over-clocking a bit too far.)

If that's not it, simplify your life by removing absolutely anything non-essential to getting into the BIOS, and try swapping out components if you have them available until it works if necessary.

Also found this recentish-post that might work for you. Sometimes all the darn things need is a time-out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/fo...post-overclock-attempt

thekuai

Aug 13, 2009
The psu is a brand new rosewill 950w xtreme. I only have a single 8800gt so the psu is really overkill and futureproof for my needs. Every fan in the system turns on but the CPU fan turns off almost immediately. Thanks for all suggestions and I'll check out the links provided.

thekuai

Aug 13, 2009
Deimos, I checked the link and that truely is amazing it took him 2hrs. Unfortunately for me I panicked and immediately rma'd the mb. Thank god newegg is so awesome! To the above poster, yes I did unplug the psu and even tapped the front power button to drain the psu. All that is left is to hope it was just the mb. Anyone else think otherwise?

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
Assuming you had the PSU unplugged when you removed the CMOS battery, I think it's down to component-level swapping. (You need to remove both power sources if you're not using a clear CMOS jumper, or the CMOS won't clear.)

If the MB is already RMA'ed, I guess we're done here. :D

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
this is a common issue on the UD4P's (even the am2+ version) so do not be suprised if it happens again with your next MOBO

for me, it was unplugging the computer from the PSU for about 30sec to 1min and then trying to power on, sometimes this took 2 or 3 trys

it could have also been the BIOS, seems i had a buggy one where it would do this ANYTIME i changed the NB multi (good thing this mobo will pull 300HTT clock)

all in all its a good board, just be patient with it

thekuai

Aug 13, 2009
Originally posted by: Rhoxed
this is a common issue on the UD4P's (even the am2+ version) so do not be suprised if it happens again with your next MOBO

for me, it was unplugging the computer from the PSU for about 30sec to 1min and then trying to power on, sometimes this took 2 or 3 trys

it could have also been the BIOS, seems i had a buggy one where it would do this ANYTIME i changed the NB multi (good thing this mobo will pull 300HTT clock)

all in all its a good board, just be patient with it

Did you have the F5C bios? Is a 2.4 ghz CPU nb/ht a safe overclock without upping the voltage? Is there a thread associated with this issue?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I'm blaming the bios. It probably got corrupted. But it doesn't matter because you can't fix it anyway, so RMA is the only way to do it.

thekuai

Aug 13, 2009
Originally posted by: error8
I'm blaming the bios. It probably got corrupted. But it doesn't matter because you can't fix it anyway, so RMA is the only way to do it.

well this board features a dual bios. The backup one is supposed to take over when the primary bios fails. However, I can't get cmos to clear? I thought the backup bios was supposed to kick in automatically?

deimos3428

Mar 6, 2009
It is highly unlikely that you corrupted both BIOSes simultaneously. The problem almost certainly lies elsewhere. Your best bet is to contact Gigabyte support directly; they may be able to isolate the problem without resorting to RMA.

thekuai

Aug 13, 2009
You mean somewhere else in the motherboard or another component of the system? I figure the motherboard should at least make a series of beeps to tell me whats going on.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Try swapping in slower, cheaper memory if you have a spare stick sitting around. I had a similar issue happen a long time ago, and swapping in slower / lower voltage memory temporarily was enough to get it to boot.

Worth a shot.