Ok, so we had the dot-com bust and now the housing bust...what's next?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Ok, so we had the dot-com bust and now the housing bust...what's next? Whats this BS about "HAD"? Were not even close to seeing the housing bust... Next will be the banking system with that the dollar and jobs.... The Airlines are feeling it real bad right now with ATA&Aloha and a few others not doing so good now.

Yeah, the housing market has yet to be corrected. It took the Japanese nearly 15 years to recover from their housing bubble.

But the US government and the Federal Reserve seem to be moving a lot of the blow to the dollar, which is already pretty weak.

I think inflation is the next thing. And the cuts made today may haunt us in 5-10 years, around the time Baby Boomers are going to try to retire. I'm guessing they're going to be told that the US government cannot afford their medication and retirement, and that they need to continue working into their mid 70s.

Ethanol needs to be busted immediately. It's raising prices for food, which is already under pressure. The poor and middle class can only take so much more of this.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Title: Ok, so we had the dot-com bust and now the housing bust...what's next?

If you're going to make it so easy for me. I might as well say it. The government bust is next. All that has come before it will seem as nothing in comparison.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: babylon5
USA is heading toward 2nd world status economically

I agree.. but.. we will try to find a way to bring the rest of the world down with us.. If we attack Iran .. then others will get involved and it could start a mini WW .. causing probs for the whole world that we think we can ride out

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
US won't be 2nd rate economically any time soon.

Housing bubble has yet to fully mature. We're in for a nice and painful recession soon. Other countries in some cases will suffer a worse fate. Prices are already declining from China to England. I saw a chart of England's housing bubble and it's far worse than the US'. They're in for a real surprise now over there.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, so we had the dot-com bust and now the housing bust...what's next? Whats this BS about "HAD"? Were not even close to seeing the housing bust... Next will be the banking system with that the dollar and jobs.... The Airlines are feeling it real bad right now with ATA&Aloha and a few others not doing so good now.

Substitute "bubble" for "bust". Mistaken terminology on my part as I recognize the housing issue is not resolved. In my case, that's a good thing b/c we're looking to buy a house over the next year, but our local market is going to see an upswing in demand and prices next year because of BRAC.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Legend

Yeah, the housing market has yet to be corrected. It took the Japanese nearly 15 years to recover from their housing bubble.

But the US government and the Federal Reserve seem to be moving a lot of the blow to the dollar, which is already pretty weak.

I think inflation is the next thing. And the cuts made today may haunt us in 5-10 years, around the time Baby Boomers are going to try to retire. I'm guessing they're going to be told that the US government cannot afford their medication and retirement, and that they need to continue working into their mid 70s.

Ethanol needs to be busted immediately. It's raising prices for food, which is already under pressure. The poor and middle class can only take so much more of this.

Here's something which just occurred to me from your comment about moving the blow to the dollar. It's ironic that the US is looking to rely on exports to help cushion the economy when we have long criticized the Japanese and now the Chinese for doing just that. Now economists are talking about a "manufacturing renaissance" in the US with the low dollar, though I wonder where those jobs will come from, and if, in fact, it will be a North American manufacturing resurgence, ie., Mexico.

If you think about this stuff too much, it makes your brain hurt -- so many permutations.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
Corn Alcohol Bust.

Immigration Bust.

You know what sucks about the ethanol subsidies? Brazil wanted to sell us their excess ethanol, and we could have imported it from them for cheaper than we're making it in this country. :(

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
You forgot to mention the U.S. Savings and Loan crisis about 10-15 years ago....this countries economy has seen it's share of ups and down...it falls, it gets back up, it falls again and gets back up again......it has always happened and will always to continue to happen.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Corn Alcohol Bust.

Immigration Bust.

You know what sucks about the ethanol subsidies? Brazil wanted to sell us their excess ethanol, and we could have imported it from them for cheaper than we're making it in this country. :(

We have a history of doing that. Protectionism at its finest. Look at the sugar growers in FL. They screw over the Everglades, screw us with expensive sugar, and lock everybody else out. Meanwhile, they are sitting pretty by using migrant workers, further boosting their profit, to the point that they have massive influence in politics to block any change that might bring in sugar ethanol and lower sugar prices in general.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Wheezer
You forgot to mention the U.S. Savings and Loan crisis about 10-15 years ago....every country's economy has seen it's share of ups and down...it falls, it gets back up, it falls again and gets back up again......it has always happened and will always to continue to happen.

Fixed

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Burst your Own Bubble?

rose.gif

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Corn Alcohol Bust.

Immigration Bust.

How much and at what price?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Wheezer
You forgot to mention the U.S. Savings and Loan crisis about 10-15 years ago....this countries economy has seen it's share of ups and down...it falls, it gets back up, it falls again and gets back up again......it has always happened and will always to continue to happen.
This is true until the country fails to get up. Not that I'm saying this is the time, but at some point it will happen, as it always has.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
Next one is the dollar, whose decline will fuel a commodity boom, and then commodities will bust too.

Dollar bust is already well in progress. Commodities bust is next. Followed by deflationary spiral and economic depression. That's why the Fed has continued to cut rates even in the face of inflationary pressures.

But I suppose you still think that FDR should have waited until '36 to run?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: babylon5
USA is heading toward 2nd world status economically
No.

Originally posted by: fallenangel99
credit card bust
Credit bubble already well in progress.

Runaway inflation might be a bigger concern if I thought the American consumer had any more excess purchasing power. They don't. That is already evidenced by a reduction in consumption.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
How about the containment of Communism bust? Seems the old enemies of Capitalism are living high on the hog right now.