OK so ive ditched the idea of getting a sports car and....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I have no riding experience, but I?ve wanted one for awhile and will get myself a cycle eventually. It will be a cheap old POS cruiser, so that when I, the noob, inevitably lay it down, I won't have to worry about wrecking a nice expensive plastic bike. If I still want to ride after that, I will then decide whether I can handle some crazy rocket, and choose my next bike accordingly.

I hope your parents say no to the bike (reasonable parents would want to subsidize your safe A to B transportation, not your death wish).

If you really want to get into motorcycles, the cost of entry is pretty low for a kid living at home with a part time job. Maybe you should consider saving your own money this spring for a small, cheap "learner bike," buy it yourself, and hope your parents don't scream bloody murder when you bring it home to their driveway.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: ObiDon
Wow, tough crowd in here now! ;)
It's not my thread but, am I likely to die on something like a Ninja 250R?
I have no motorcycle experience but I'm no speed racer either. Right now I'm only remotely considering a bike. Especially since rainy season should be coming up soon.
Having started out on a EX500 myself, I'd say you're safe going up to 500cc . There's a reason why The_good_guy recommends the Suzuki GS500 and Kawi 500R in every bike thread. You can get find one of these used for $3,000 or less. They are quick, fun, and reliable.

Take the MSF classes first - BEFORE buying the bike!