ok...so i think my mice are sick

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i've got some feeder mice for my ball python...i dunno wtf they are...just standard white mice i got from the pet store. I have a bunch of mice food (little brown tube things) and a water bottle for them, flakey wood chip things in the bottom of tank, and some places for them to hide. As far as i know, this is all i need to take care of them...well..

i came back from being gone all weekend and they were almost unconcious...i grabbed 'em by the tail and the woke up...but they wont open their eyes...i figured they might just be sleepy...but after a couple of hours, they are now running around (a LITTLE) but eyes are still closed...they used to be VERY active but are now acting super sleepy and lazy. It does get cold in my room sometimes (usually 68-72) and i think that b/c i left the a/c on all the time it may have gone into hibernation mode or something (do they hibernate?) or gotten sick...

anyone know what may be going on? i dont want to feed my snake sick mice :p

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
sounds like they had a hell of a party while you were gone over the weekend... they are probably just hungover and worn out from all the sex, drugs, and beer

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
sounds like they had a hell of a party while you were gone over the weekend... they are probably just hungover and worn out from all the sex, drugs, and beer

lmfao...i wouldnt doubt it...there WAS a huge party at my place while i was gone and they do stay up at all hours of the night doing god knows what :p

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Journer
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN

lmfao...i wouldnt doubt it...there WAS a huge party at my place while i was gone and they do stay up at all hours of the night doing god knows what :p

hmmmm maybe someone from the party thought it would be funny to see what would happen if they got the mice high or drunk?

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
join up with Mankind for Ethical Animal Treatment and release those animals back into the wild where they can be free!!

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
And now for a serious reply:

How long have you been keeping mice? How long have you been using that same type of wood chips in their cage? I don't know specifics for mice but I know that certain types of rodents can be allergic or otherwise not tolerate certain types of wood. Something about the oils that are in the wood. So it could be that. Or it could possibly be from them getting too cold as well. They are very fragile little creatures.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
boogi: wouldnt doubt it for a min...
jlb: what movie?
ran: is that a PETA parody? (MEAT) if not...that is a paradox, because would it be ethical to release them to the wild if they dont know how to survive in the wild? none the less...who cares...they await immanent death in my cage or outside :p

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Journer
boogi: wouldnt doubt it for a min...
jlb: what movie?
ran: is that a PETA parody? (MEAT) if not...that is a paradox, because would it be ethical to release them to the wild if they dont know how to survive in the wild? none the less...who cares...they await immanent death in my cage or outside :p

Road Trip

Tom Green and Mitch (snake)

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rpc64
And now for a serious reply:

How long have you been keeping mice? How long have you been using that same type of wood chips in their cage? I don't know specifics for mice but I know that certain types of rodents can be allergic or otherwise not tolerate certain types of wood. Something about the oils that are in the wood. So it could be that. Or it could possibly be from them getting too cold as well. They are very fragile little creatures.

Mice are not fragile. They are some of the most resilient and prolific mammals on this planet. That is one of the reasons mice and rats are bread for laboratory work. If the OP is feeding them lab grade food (like "Square Meal") then he is doing the right thing. Give them water, a wooden hide hut (so they can chew), and lab food and they will thrive.

OP- Remember, mice have to be fed constantly and have a constant source of water. When you returned, how was their water supply? What about their food supply? What about light in the room? Leave a light on, give them more food and fresh water, and they'll likely perk up. If they die, they were probably sick when you bought them. Throw them out, clear out the tank and bedding, and bleach EVERYTHING before getting new mice.

When I kept mice for my BP, I had to change their litter about twice a week. I tried using aspen bedding for my mice since it doesn't have any natural volitile oils. Unfortunately, the mice stunk to high heaven, even after a couple of days. So I switched to this bedding that was dyed green to help with the odor. I don't recall if it was pine or not, but it definitely wasn't standard pine bedding. You might want to try Carefresh bedding. It is made of recycled newspaper.

The mice were were fun little creatures to watch, thought I wouldn't want to keep them as pets permanently. I tried to start a breading program, but I realized that it wouldn't provide a consistent stream of food for my snake, rather the mice would show up in "slugs". Plus, the male mouse urine smelled AWEFUL. My male was the first one to go to the snake... Buying several mice at a time (at least a few days before you need to feed your snake) is a great idea. By feeding them yourself and watching them, you can make sure they aren't sick, and you can feed them good, nutritious food. I often tossed my mice vegetable peels and ends, like the tops of carrots.

R

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
norish: sick food = sick snake...no :p
jlb: lol...i remember now, havnt seen that movie in ages :p
rgwalt: the water supply was fine, food was gone (as far as i could see, the bedding is thick) but i replaced it as soon as i got home. THe light was off and on throughout the weekend assuming my roomate did as i asked >(

i dunno wtf kind of bedding it is...i just bought a GIANT vaccum sealed brick of it...its wooden, light brown, and flakey..lol...i clean their cage once every week or two...i dont plan on breeding them ....too much work :p

they look like they are moving around a good bit now...ill give it till tomarrow to see if they start acting normal again :p

thanks!