ok.. ok I hooked up the Linksys router & still have some issues . . was: ...sharing internet on home network -

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Ok, I have the cable moden that plugs into the Linksys router.
It only has 4 ports & I have a upstairs / downstairs situation where I have a hub down there and a hub up here.
I have a proxy on my main machine that needs internet exposure that connects to E'net port # 2
(SetiQ)
I have DHCP configured upstairs (& working) but for some reason my downstairs one wouldn't find the dhcp server - so I set it at a static IP & got it online.

I basically connected up one router port to the first hub, second router port to the downstairs hub and then the remaining two ports are plugged into my machine's two E'net ports.

I'm online with the first port.

The second port was set for 192.168.0.1 and SetiQ was using that - it was getting online and sending in it's results.
Then I set that port to DHCP & it got 192.168.1.102 however I'm not going to get my proxy working like this.
Can I use port forwarding, set that E'net port back to 192.168.0.1 & forward that so that when users look for it they go there "somehow"?

WAS:

I use Win XP ICS here on my home LAN & share out my cable modem to the wife & kids machines.

Last night my machine froze, I tried a restart & it got to the blue "Welcome" screen & just sat there.
After a few reboots I tried lowering my speed & latency & etc and still had the problem.

Then for one reason or another I let it sit at the "Welcome" screen a long time and oticed that the mouse pointer would move once every 30 seconds - 2 minutes. I waited a long time and eventually the desktop loaded. Very slowly.

OK - by very slowly I mean to say this entire process from start until I figured out what was causing it lasted from about 9:45pm - 2:20am.

Eventually by rebooting into safe mode and doing msconfig & starting without services & start up items and then enabling them one at a time until the SLOW reboot happened again I found it was the Internet Connection Sharing / Internet Firewall service causing the problem.

No matter what I do, when I try enabling it again the machine slows to a crawl of epic proportions.

SO - anybody hear of this happening and if so, a way to fix?

Thanks!

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Thanks, I'm more interested to find out what's gone wrong with my system.

I have a router in a box somewhere but this was "easier". Time to dig that thing out of the box.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I can make you a big list of what might be wrong.

Strating with some one switching off one of the Network computers while changes are still written into the registry, to Network settings that migh change by applications or even "Bad" Internet Sites.

ICS is a good thing when you have No other choice (like Internal DialUp Modem). Otherwise if the NAT can be moved to hardware (Router) the Network on the is more stable.

:sun:

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
hmmm..

running AVG 7 with auto updates, running spybot 1.3 updated on all machines and a hosts file that blocks a load of sites - but still something could get through.

For instance I went over to the ThemeXP site the other day and clicked on Boot Loader Screens and AVG pops up and says I'm getting the Trojan Downloader.
I closed the browser & sent the site an email telling them this happened & AVG 7 took care of the offending program. That was about a week ago.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Hooked up Linksys router - see top for new question.

For now, I just turned off the Q & set SetiDriver to go direct to BerZerkley.
Easier than trying to figure out more networking crud.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
ALL working now - final issue was getting the SetiQ to work and some helpful guys over in the Distributed Computing forum gave me the answer.

Thanks all, your help is appreciated! ;)